Honda Grom banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Sorry, found a thread. Looks like 5/16. Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What size uni filter is everyone using for the factory crankcase line off the airbox? I would measure, but I'm shopping at work...... lol
Depends on what line you are using.

I used 3/8 inch.

·
Registered
878 Posts
After a full kitaco kit install, you feel where you spent money... Mine runs neat and cool ( average temp is 80c) and I rape it every time.

Just don't put your cooler on the head, add the takegawa filter removal bar... Neat

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
My DHM big valved head and hi-comp piston shipped today! Now I just need to get my bike back from the swingarm warranty fiasco...... Hopefully I'll be riding again soon!

Reactions: Phoenix and Pard

·
Registered
530 Posts
My DHM big valved head and hi-comp piston shipped today! Now I just need to get my bike back from the swingarm warranty fiasco...... Hopefully I'll be riding again soon!
That’s good news. Can’t wait to hear what you think of the new mods. I bet you are ready to do some riding.

I got my bike back together and haven’t even ridden it yet...good grief. It has been raining about every day.

I cleaned the whole bike up real good. It looks awesome.

That G-Craft swingarm is polished to a mirror finish. Wow, is it nice. Mine didn’t come with the superbike lifter mounting holes. Probably since I went with the standard G-Craft chain adjusters, instead of the OW style. I’m actually glad. I didnt want the superbike lifters anyway. I think my swingarm came in a little lighter than DY101’s. I mounted silver aluminum spools. The ball bearing pivots are super smooth.

The Brembos were so easy to bleed. It was totally uneventful. Almost hard to believe, to be honest. The Spiegler brake lines fit perfectly. I got the lengths and banjo bends just right.

Ended up just letting the Honda Dealer install the Kenda KD1 Kwick tires. They did a fantastic job. Not one scratch on my rims. Used silver aluminum valves. Each tire is 3/4 pound lighter than the stock IRC tires. The IRC tires have 1400+ miles on them too. Thats 1.5 pounds of rotating weight removed! The front EBC Vee rotor was 80 grams lighter and the rear EBC Vee rotor was 87 grams lighter. That is about 1/3 pound of rotating weight! Not bad.

Swapped my Kitaco aluminum wheel spacers for Grom Fatherz speed spacers. Also got a Grom Fatherz Hyper Cush Drive hub. Bling to the max! Unfortunately, the Hyper Hub weighs about 48 grams more than the stock hub...lol. I don’t care. It is likely stronger, not that you would probably ever break the stock hub. It is a nice piece. Beautiful.

I installed a Motion Pro throttle tube to mount the Domino Moto GP grips. I picked it up at Cycle Gear. It’s probably about 1/5 turn, instead of 1/4 turn. I removed a ton of slack from the throttle cable. Feels way more precise. Like a more expensive motorcycle. Has about 1mm of lateral movement and about 1mm of front to back movement if that makes sense.

Removing the charcoal canister took 518 grams off the bike. It was replaced with a 9 gram tank vent and a rubber vacuum cap on the intake manifold.

Used a Kitaco 15 tooth front sprocket. It is drilled out. 21 grams lighter. Didn’t install my 36 tooth Kitaco rear sprocket yet. I want to do some speed runs with the 34 tooth Kitaco sprocket first. Also, I haven’t installed my Endurance oil catch can either. I’m probably going to need longer oil cooler lines to route around it.

I had contacted Öhlins asking about 01309-01 vs 01330-01 fork fluid. When I installed the Öhlins fork kit I used 01330-01, because that is what everyone kept shipping me...lol. They said 1330 is about like 7.5w and 1309 is about like 5w. Öhlins sent me a free bottle of 1309 fork fluid. Super cool of them. I already used the 1330, so someday when I change fluid I will use the 1309. The fork feels pretty stiff, but I think it will be ok.

I still need to secure that rear brake line and adjust my rear shock, though. With the silky smooth ball bearing pivots, I’m going to need more preload for sure. Just sitting on the bike blows through quite a bit of travel now. It is hard to believe G-Craft doesn’t provide a way to secure the brake line. I’ve been too tired to mess with any of it the past week.

I’ve got pictures of the parts on my scale, but no real good shots yet of the entire bike. I’ll get some soon. Here are a couple of the brakes and swingarm.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Congratulations on getting it back together! Looks super Awesome!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Bike is back!!! All parts installed AND it cranks and idles! Not quite ready to ride yet though. Gotta pick up some double sided tape to secure the Blink module and then reinstall the fairings. I hope I can carry it out for an autotune ride tomorrow. First time it has ran in about a month.

Reactions: Pard and Phoenix

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
@Phoenix I just wanted to let you know, my intake and throttle body were spotless. No oil contamination at all. Over 9000 miles on the shortened crankcase hose plumbed into my DingerBuilt intake. I still really feel that you might have a ring problem leading to your higher temps and oil in your intake.
20200906_081805.jpg

20200906_081842.jpg

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
@Phoenix I just wanted to let you know, my intake and throttle body were spotless. No oil contamination at all. Over 9000 miles on the shortened crankcase hose plumbed into my DingerBuilt intake. I still really feel that you might have a ring problem leading to your higher temps and oil in your intake.
View attachment 88203
View attachment 88204
Thanks for posting this up. Its been so hot here I havent touched the bike in awhile. I might wheel it inside this week so I can tear into it a bit and see whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Maybe cooler weather is coming. My Friend is in Denver, he said it was 90 yesterday and 35 and snowing today......

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
First autotune ride done, probably about 20 miles. Had to go to town and fill it up with gas. Seems great at WOT, some driveability problems at partial throttle that got better and better as it tuned itself. Hit 76mph a couple of times while tucked. I am sure it will get better as the rings take a seat. Everything feels/sounds normal. I manually saved the map and reloaded it just in case.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bike is back!!! All parts installed AND it cranks and idles! Not quite ready to ride yet though. Gotta pick up some double sided tape to secure the Blink module and then reinstall the fairings. I hope I can carry it out for an autotune ride tomorrow. First time it has ran in about a month.
Fantastic. That’s great that your bike is back together.

Maybe cooler weather is coming. My Friend is in Denver, he said it was 90 yesterday and 35 and snowing today......
My friend lives about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Denver, high up in the mountains. He got a foot of snow. Earliest snow he has ever seen in about 25 years of living there. He was going to go to Moab, but is now waiting for everything to melt off first. Crazy.
First autotune ride done, probably about 20 miles. Had to go to town and fill it up with gas. Seems great at WOT, some driveability problems at partial throttle that got better and better as it tuned itself. Hit 76mph a couple of times while tucked. I am sure it will get better as the rings take a seat. Everything feels/sounds normal. I manually saved the map and reloaded it just in case.
Sounds like it’s a screamer. Definitely give us some updates soon. I want to hear your comparison of how it is with the new head and piston vs your previous setup.

What did Honda end up doing about your stock swingarm?

I finally did a quick test ride around my neighborhood today. So far the bike actually feels “suspended” now! I think I was blowing through all of the travel previously and bottoming it out sometimes. Can’t wait to hit some railroad tracks and bumpy sections of road at higher speed, to see how it feels. I had to add about 5mm more preload to the rear shock, to get the sag just right. Added a couple of clicks more compression damping too.

I’ve been waiting for a few fasteners to arrive from ProBolt and some stainless steel clips to secure the rear brake line, before I do any long rides.

That front Brembo 4-piston brake is bad ass. The stock master cylinder works perfectly with it. There has been some debate in older threads as to whether you need a different master cylinder. You don’t. It has about 3mm more lever pull, but I feel that is a positive thing. It feels less on/off. Better modulation. Need to get more riding in to really appreciate all of the new parts.

Those Kenda KD1 tires stick to my garage floor and peel the floor paint up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Anytime I load or reload a map, I do a Tps learn for good measure...
Yeah dubSolo, it’s about your TPS reports...Did you not get the memo?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Fantastic. That’s great that your bike is back together.
What did Honda end up doing about your stock swingarm?
They replaced it under warranty, found crack on the last day. Don't worry, the Aluminum one is going on @Hairless bike. Honda replaced his under warranty too, so now we have a spare!

·
Registered
530 Posts
They replaced it under warranty, found crack on the last day. Don't worry, the Aluminum one is going on @Hairless bike. Honda replaced his under warranty too, so now we have a spare!
Well, at least someone will get some use out of it. Are you going to be able to install your MNNTHBX bushings on the new stock swingarm?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Well, at least someone will get some use out of it. Are you going to be able to install your MNNTHBX bushings on the new stock swingarm?
Already got them installed, it was difficult but not impossible. It would have been easier if I could have ruined the swingarm to get them out, but Honda needed it back for the warranty. @Hairless loves the polished look of the Kepspeed and I always wanted a black one so I agreed to let him pay me back what I paid you. We will monitor both for cracks, if his outlast mine I may just end up with an aluminum one after all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read once, and I’m not sure if it is correct, but someone said, as the stock tensioner foot cuts into the tensioner button, it then applies less tension to the chain, allowing more slack, and thus changing the timing slightly. Don’t shoot the messenger, I read that though, not sure if it is true. I would think the spring loaded tensioner plunger would just put more pressure to make up the difference, but maybe not. cartoon hd 9apps

101 - 120 of 153 Posts