Honda Grom banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hopefully about 3 weeks, the head will probably take the longest. I don't "think" it is forged.
Do you have another bike to ride in the meantime? 3 weeks with no Grom has got to be rough, since you ride daily.

Are you going to change your forum username to Eightlives17?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Lol, the Grom is my only bike. I miss it already, but I typically only ride once a week. I just ride as much as I can on that day! Happy wife, Happy life.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Phoenix, are you the person that purchased those stock OG Grom wheels recently from the for sale section? Just curious. I wonder if they really feel any lighter? I wouldn’t mind having a set. Maybe. The Over Racing 10 spoke forged wheels are my favorite, but they are expensive.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Phoenix, are you the person that purchased those stock OG Grom wheels recently from the for sale section? Just curious. I wonder if they really feel any lighter? I wouldn’t mind having a set. Maybe. The Over Racing 10 spoke forged wheels are my favorite, but they are expensive.
No. I was the first to hit him up and could’ve got them but figured I should put the money into cooling my bike instead of making it lighter haha.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Priorities...

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Heard back from koso North America.........

This happened after 700 miles you say? Was there any other damage to the head or cylinder?

Brendan Clipston
Technician

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
And again........... this one sounds more promising.

I have forwarded the photos to our R&D department for them to take a look at and see what could have happened. Thanks for providing me with the necessary information. Ill get back to you with a response once I hear back from them!

Brendan Clipston
Technician

Reactions: Phoenix and Pard

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Koso's response.....

So after speaking with my R&D team, they have told me there could be a few things that would cause this. Due to the fact that in the pictures it’s clear that the valve had hit the piston, it could have been –

1. Wrong camshaft timing

2. Damage caused by high camshaft high speed jump

3. The engine speed exceeds the use range

Duh, it was number 1 camshaft timing. That tends to get thrown off when your tensioner fails.

·
Registered
486 Posts
2. Damage caused by high camshaft high speed jump

What does that even mean? High camshaft? As in high lift camshaft? The chain just jumped a tooth?

3. The engine speed exceeds the use range

Can running the engine above the stock rev limiter cause the tensioner to fail? I’ve read on here, where it has been suggested that revving above 10,000rpms could cause the chain to get drug across the wheel or something, leading to excessive wear of the the rubber/plastic wheel.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
If your valvesprings are not up to the task, the valve can actually jump off of the cam. The valve is accelerating so fast it actually leaves the surface of the lobe.

Everything has an rpm limit, anything can and will fail if you run it too fast. Has a lot to do with balance and tolerances. I did not run the Koso any faster than I did the stock tensioner, and it was nowhere near max rpm when it let loose. I still maintain that the Koso only has spring pressure holding it in contact with the chain. It should have never failed in the manner it did even if the piston did smack the valve first. It would have just deflected up and away like it is designed to do. Even the tensioner wheel itself looked perfect, no skipping across the surface of the chain or else wear/scratches would have been visible.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds like a defective part.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Aracer and AF1 ordered, I'm joining the club. Tips and hints welcome.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I am wanting to start cleaning out leftover metal fragments from both side covers. Looking for advice on what to use that won't leave a harmful residue. Kerosene? Non-chlorinated brake cleaner? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Isopropyl Alcohol. I am lucky that my job lets me access as much IPA and lint free swabs as I like. It comes in handy, especially for detailing.

I also like to use this cheap little telescopic magnet from Harbor Freight, I'll sometimes fish it around to pick up fragments from crevices. Would have made fishing out needle bearing rollers from my engine easier when m head exploded.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Do you just put it in a spray bottle and hose it down? Or just on a cloth and wipe it? Would ideally like a spray bottle to chase out metal dust from hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I should clarify, you want as close to pure 100% IPA as you can get, I believe you can get 99% off Amazon. Lower % (70% is common) contain water.

Ensuring you have close to pure isopropanol means you can put it in a spray bottle and hose it, if its a small part, or use on cloth to wipe - while ensuring it evaporates without leaving any residual water.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
What size uni filter is everyone using for the factory crankcase line off the airbox? I would measure, but I'm shopping at work...... lol

81 - 100 of 119 Posts