Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Grom has been puking oil after intense rides out of what I believe is the return tube to the airbox that is just being vented to the air right now.. I have a 143cc bbk. Looks like I need to install an oil catch can.

Is the Kitaco catch that much better than this $12 mod?

What would everyone recommend?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is that the Danger Dave oil catch thingy made from an air compressor water filter? I didn’t watch the video.

I do remember CiscoSanJose was running that setup. He thought it was fine. I believe it was the thread where he blew a hole in his piston due to detonation, that some forum members were making fun of his “Danger Dave” oil catch setup. In the end, I’m pretty sure Cisco switched to the Takegawa oil catch can. I’m not sure if there is really anything wrong with the Danger Dave setup. I’ve not used one. Like I said, I do remember someone giving him a hard time about it.

I have the Endurance oil catch can, that I purchased from Webike Japan, but I never installed it. Maybe one day I will install it, but right now my bike doesn’t puke oil. My personal opinion is that some people get a little carried away with crank case ventilation. I’ve seen some setups that seemed like overkill. I wonder if you would be ok with the stock airbox hose vent and maybe as additional vent in the form of a GromFatherz cam cover with UNI filter. Maybe one additional vent would relieve enough pressure to prevent oil mist from completely making it out of the vent hoses.

Reactions: Cheburashka

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep it's the Danger Dave thing.. I'm getting quite a bit of oil and it's dripping on my garage floor after a hard ride. Not worried about performance so much but not a fan of oil over the bike and floor.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn’t want oil all over my bike and floor either. Sounds like you definitely need to come up with a solution.

The Endurance catch can doesn’t have as many ports as the Takegawa for instance, but it does allow the oil mist to collect, then another hose continues on to the stock airbox vent. If you combined something like that with the previously mentioned GromFatherz cam cover with UNI filter, it might be enough to solve your issues.

The Takegawa catch can allows you to run a hose from the collection tank, back to the engine so it empties itself. If I remember correctly, it empties into one of those oil filler caps that have a port for a hose. I think I’ve seen them mounted where the charcoal canister goes. The only thing I’ve never liked was how it all looks. Looks a bit busy. Like spaghetti wrapped all over the engine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if something like this will work:

I'm thinking just getting this then routing a hose with a small UNI filter up to somewhere to the gas tank area will do the trick?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I use that as suggested by other members, and just have a K&N filter at the end instead of the nipple that's included with the kit. It says for model GY6, but the thread pitch of the oil filler cap is the same on the Grom as the GY6.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have that kit with a UNI pod filter attached for sale actually. I installed the takegawa clutch cover so it no longer work for me as the takegawa has a bigger filler hole

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installing the line and filter that @Grullo sent me.

What do I do with the existing vent line? Should I also put a filter on it and mount it high, or plug it completely?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what it looks like now. I have the crankcase line going to a filter that's mounted on top of the engine air filter.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And on the other side I have the line and filter coming from the oil dipstick.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
819 Posts
This is what it looks like now. I have the crankcase line going to a filter that's mounted on top of the engine air filter.

You could 't' into the oil filler line and just have one filter. Also gives oil a chance to drain back into the filler when the pressure has settled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts