Honda Grom banner

Ohlins vs racetech front forks?

20K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  BUCKNUT 
#1 ·
I looking at upgrading the front forks and wondering how the feel is on the two. I have had racetech springs and dampeners rod on my last grom. They were good but hated the click I would get on compression. Does the ohlins click also?

#12 ·

We had the same situation.
Race Tech First........ clunking sound...... was told that was normal....... Ummm.. NO.

Switched to Ohlins, No clunking... So much better ride....... Love them.

We sell Ohlins, Race Tech and K-Tech.

Hands down Ohlins is our best seller.

But, if you have the coin........ the Ktech Fork Cartridges are nice being that they have external adjusters.

Although the Ktech are almost 2 x more expensive then the Ohlins, so it better have something good. ;-)

For the Rear Shock...... we Carry a Fully adjustable JRI Rear shock, which also had Length Ride Height adjustment.

This is a game changer, for someone wanting more front end feedback.

#4 ·
I have Ohlin's rear shock and front springs, valves, and whatever else Oklahoma Honda installed in the forks. I am pretty clueless about motorcycle maintenance and modifications. But after I got my Ohlin's the Grom had an incredible increase in braking power. I was doing little stoppies without even trying, and that really made me smile. The Grom also feels much more stable. The Ohlin's upgrade is certainly the best mod yet. Followed closely by the yoshi exhaust kit.

#11 ·
If more people would get in and PreOrder the MNNTHBX/CARD setup would happen quicker... It's a big outlay for a small company..

#13 ·
Do you have pics of the JRI installed? Have you tested it on your bike yet? Wanna see ... Especially in regards to reservoir.

#18 ·
i have the ohlins front fork kit, and gaza supreme 255mm rear for a taller ride height in back. for the price of the gaza and the adjustability it offers im very happy. also the ohlins fronts are a night and day difference of the stock front forks

#25 · (Edited)

Don't Forget, Race Tech Sells Fork Springs Separate from the Fork Kit.

Where as Ohlins are included............ along with CNC Alum. Fork Caps and preload spacers.

Comparing Apples to Apples...........

Race Tech (Fork Cartridge - $279 + RT Fork Springs - $135 ) = $414

vs.

Ohlins (Fork Cartridge, Ohlins Fork Springs, Ohlins Billet Alum. Caps & Spacers ) are $295

#26 ·
Thanks.

It seems that info is lost in translation on the site.

The K-tech comes with the 6.4nm springs at $549 with full adjustability....that sounds like a good deal.

Can you clarify something for me?

Racetech claims a full 1" more suspension travel from their kit.

The ohlins and ktech is unlisted.

Can you verify this and how it compares to the others. I am going to be purchasing a kit eventually so its not wasted words. I use my grom primarily on the street but do plan on hitting rough fire roads and also running the dirt section on supermoto track days. Seems the extra 1" of travel would be really awesome? Is that standard with all the kits? I assume they configure it to use the extra 1" slider that is unused stock?

#27 ·
Thanks.

It seems that info is lost in translation on the site.

The K-tech comes with the 6.4nm springs at $549 with full adjustability....that sounds like a good deal.

Can you clarify something for me?

Racetech claims a full 1" more suspension travel from their kit.

The ohlins and ktech is unlisted.

Can you verify this and how it compares to the others. I am going to be purchasing a kit eventually so its not wasted words. I use my grom primarily on the street but do plan on hitting rough fire roads and also running the dirt section on supermoto track days. Seems the extra 1" of travel would be really awesome? Is that standard with all the kits? I assume they configure it to use the extra 1" slider that is unused stock?

Only Race Tech "attempted" to do this "extra Travel"
They added 20mm on the Damper rod.

Problem we experienced... any many other did........ was the internals didn't seem to like that extra travel and it put undo stress on the bushings, and made a clunking sound.
How long this will hold up..? Not sure.
We were just about to remove them and put them on our lathe and machine off 20mm and re-tap it......... but then the Ohlins Came out, and we just figured why bother and sold them and got the Ohlins instead.

Without a doubt......... If you can swallow nearly double the price........ The K-Tech are a nice setup in that they are adjustable. We've sold a few of those K-tech and customers do like them.

We've had the Ohlins on our Grom for over 1 yr now, and never felt the need to "adjust" But, don't get us wrong..... having adjusters is nice.

Just not sure if it's double the price nice. ;-)

#28 ·
Thank you for the quick reply.

Looks like it may be worth it for the k-tech. Being that it comes with springs, and is adjustable reb. and comp. Would be nice to hit the kart track dial everything in then bump out onto the street or a rough road and pull back the clickers a bit :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.