Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

A buddy and I are going to be purchasing some Groms here in the coming month or so. I need some help trying to locate a FULL set of either OEM or aftermarket fairings. I've found motorcross styled plastics or full-body fairings like a Repsol kit, but I'm just looking for a stock replacement set. I'm wanting to keep the factory plastics and put them away and paint the new ones for a build I want to do, without damaging the factory ones. Before anyone mentions it, I don't want to do Plastidip, thought about it, but not how I want to go about changing the color.

Any leads to reputable websites or personal experiences is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Ty

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bikerzbits.com and ebay.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Banned
714 Posts
there are a bunch of ebay stores in thailand that sell oem bodywork

once you see how cheap it is, you probably won't be so concerned about painting the original ones.

This bike isn't like the big bikes, plastic is dirt cheap

·
Registered
610 Posts
This bike isn't like the big bikes, plastic is dirt cheap
Not only are they dirt cheap, the factory plastics themselves are cheap, flimsy and fragile. I wouldn't be surprised if some off brand Chinese plastics are of better quality.

·
Banned
714 Posts
to be fair, everything on the grom is cheap and shitty. it's built to a price point, they spent no extra money anywhere. i can't think of a single part on the bike that looks like they did more than they needed to, it's all junk pretty much. still fun though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
lol, my rectifier bracket decided it didn't want to stay with the bike any longer. I don't think the damn thing was ever removed either, just fell off during a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
"I must go. My people need me." - your rectifier probably

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much for your input, greatly appreciated. Still working on the color scheme, but I'll do some looking on ebay and those websites! Thanks again!

·
Registered
793 Posts
to be fair, everything on the grom is cheap and shitty. it's built to a price point, they spent no extra money anywhere. i can't think of a single part on the bike that looks like they did more than they needed to, it's all junk pretty much. still fun though.
Cheap or not it's still a Honda and it's still going to outlast all of us if taken care of. That's why I love Honda.

Thank you all so much for your input, greatly appreciated. Still working on the color scheme, but I'll do some looking on ebay and those websites! Thanks again!
I am going through the same thing. If you're handy with graphics programs pickup Paint.NET. That's what I did. And then I took the stock photos from Honda's website and put each color into a separate layer. Then you can show or hide colors of the different parts to see which combo you like best. In my file I was only looking to change colors of one panel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm so surprised to hear that! I'm not familiar with the grom, but in November I got a 2019 monkey (yellow). Admittedly my expectations are likely low, my previous bike is a 1971 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler, but the build quality of the monkey strikes me as excellent. Maybe that's where the extra $600 in the sales price goes? Of course 50 years newer technology, and no parts made by Joseph Lucas, has to help too.

·
Banned
714 Posts
no, everything on the monkey is also cheap and shitty. you need better standards ;)

don't get me wrong it's well put together and the fit and finish are fine. but everything is made out of crap for the most part.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm so surprised to hear that! I'm not familiar with the grom, but in November I got a 2019 monkey (yellow). Admittedly my expectations are likely low, my previous bike is a 1971 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler, but the build quality of the monkey strikes me as excellent. Maybe that's where the extra $600 in the sales price goes? Of course 50 years newer technology, and no parts made by Joseph Lucas, has to help too.
Who's Joseph Lucas?

The Monkey has more metal and nice paint so that has to add to the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Wibbly, I fear you are correct. But if it wasn't for low standards, I'd have no standards at all.

Who's Joseph Lucas?
Lucas is affectionately known as the Prince of Darkness. The super-low-cost supplier of all things electric to the once thriving British Motoring industry, and perhaps the direct cause for that industries failures. For many decades (maybe even a century?) frustrated owners of British's finest vehicles have assembled Lucas jokes. For instance, Lucas headlights have three modes: Dim, Flicker, and Off. And 'If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.'

To add fun to the BSA they used two incompatible thread systems, a mix of SAE (with way more fine threads than you'd expect) and an imperial unit based thread standard called British Standard Whitworth. The Whitworth fasteners not only have hex head sizes that neither SAE nor Metric will fit, but the threads themselves have a different pitch and different thread angles than you'll find anywhere else. And the many screws on a BSA that appear to be Phillips are actually PoziDriv (no 'e', not a typo). Being made of a material derived from butter, the first application of a phillips screwdriver will cam out leaving a disaster behind.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks Wibbly, I fear you are correct. But if it wasn't for low standards, I'd have no standards at all.

Lucas is affectionately known as the Prince of Darkness. The super-low-cost supplier of all things electric to the once thriving British Motoring industry, and perhaps the direct cause for that industries failures. For many decades (maybe even a century?) frustrated owners of British's finest vehicles have assembled Lucas jokes. For instance, Lucas headlights have three modes: Dim, Flicker, and Off. And 'If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.'

To add fun to the BSA they used two incompatible thread systems, a mix of SAE (with way more fine threads than you'd expect) and an imperial unit based thread standard called British Standard Whitworth. The Whitworth fasteners not only have hex head sizes that neither SAE nor Metric will fit, but the threads themselves have a different pitch and different thread angles than you'll find anywhere else. And the many screws on a BSA that appear to be Phillips are actually PoziDriv (no 'e', not a typo). Being made of a material derived from butter, the first application of a phillips screwdriver will cam out leaving a disaster behind.
Top shelf synopsis!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a complete set of Honda panels for my 2017 SF from Partzilla to change the color from Matte Grey Metallic to Lemon Ice Yellow, Total cost was $155, not worth messing around with ebay or aftermarket or used plastics when factory Honda is available that cheap. I was also surprised to find that all of the decals were pre-applied; I thought I would have to add the stickers myself, so now I have a complete extra set of Grom SF decals, only cost a few dollars for all 4 pieces (Honda wing on the tank shrouds, "125" on the tail cowls).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts