Honda Grom banner

201 - 220 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
thats pretty impressive. I wouldnt reset the ECU. let it build a full map, resetting it will just bring you back to its base map which it will then trim around. Keep riding it through all the rev ranges at different throttles and over 50-100 miles it will have a full map built for your desired setup.

what afr did you have your wideband set at to flip high to low voltage fed to the ecu?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i'll keep it for now since the trims are looking good. just curious to see if this will consistently work after a reset.

as of now, i'm using an afr of 12.8 as my stoich indicator to the ecu. so at afr 12.8, the ecu is seeing around 0.45V thus adjusting trims around that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Received and installed the EFIE today as per the instructions in this thread. Set it to 250mv. Pulled the snorkel out of the airbox while I had the right-side cover off. Starts fine, smells a little richer than before. Haven't reset the ECU yet. Only have 250 miles on this thing so I am reluctant to throw an exhaust on so soon, what do y'all think?

It should be said that I have been doing wheelies at every stop sign so I am not that concerned with break-in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
oh...ok. i thought the ecu goes back to closed loop for extended wot.

anyhow, did some riding in the open loop. here are my current logged afr's with the bazzaz trims set to zero and ecu reset. all fuel trims to get the logged afr's are done by the stock ecu. either something is wrong or the this setup is targeting pretty dam well. this is not with an extensive amount of ride time so it may change over time.

View attachment 66617

i'll give it more time to learn. i'll aslo do a few more resets and learn cycles to make sure this isn't a fluke.
Is this not what hard racing is doing with the power Commander wb2? They say they program the output of the wb2 to Target 13.5:1. A/f ratio and that if you go to a big bore it send the wb2 back to them and they will change it to Target 13.0. on their YouTube video it shows them hooking up the wb2 output to the o2 sensor input and they mention is how the adjustments are made, or what controls the air fuel mixture.

Skip to the 1:30 Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
yup similar concept. since i run bazzaz, went this route.

with the wideband 2, are you not able to program the target afr yourself? if not, at least with this setup, you can target your own afr by manipulation the output voltage accordingly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
yup similar concept. since i run bazzaz, went this route.

with the wideband 2, are you not able to program the target afr yourself? if not, at least with this setup, you can target your own afr by manipulation the output voltage accordingly.
I think on other bikes you can but with the Grom the ECU will tune around it and the pcv and the stock ECU will fight each other so hard racing chooses to program the output of the wb2 to achieve the target a/f. I think on other bikes the stock o2 is grounded to prevent the pcv and stock ECU from fighting each other. I have to question why hard racing doesn't choose that way of doing things.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
not necessarily, what this is doing is fooling the stock ecu. you program the voltage out so that at your desired afr, it is sending a ~0.5v signal to the ecu. the ecu will adjust for that afr as it's programmed to target around a given voltage and not an actual afr value. i've been running my 0 - 80% cells at zero and i've been targeting my desired afr for the most part.

·
Registered
220 Posts
not necessarily, what this is doing is fooling the stock ecu. you program the voltage out so that at your desired afr, it is sending a ~0.5v signal to the ecu. the ecu will adjust for that afr as it's programmed to target around a given voltage and not an actual afr value. i've been running my 0 - 80% cells at zero and i've been targeting my desired afr for the most part.
at that point tho why not use a efie for $30? i already have a stand alone wideband (lm-1). my thinking is i'll weld in a bung, hook up a efie and tune with the efie and pcv (if needed, i already have it) and then when i'm done i can remove the wideband freeing up further restriction in the exhaust and it's one less thing to go wrong. wideband o2 sensors don't have the best track record for lasting a long time and being accurate.

but i guess for people that have nothing tune with (no pcv, efie etc) they can get a something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-3795-Wideband-Gauge/dp/B001QFH2RW/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520302066&sr=1-21&keywords=wideband+o2 and then program the output to get the desired afr's they wanted and they have a gauge so they know they are always running safe. sure beats spending $600 on a power commander for basically the same function, just loosing the ability to add timing in the 80-100% with the pcv.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
more precise tuning as you are using a wideband sensor to determine the afr which is more accurate. you'll also have a afr gauge to monitor your results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
more precise tuning as you are using a wideband sensor to determine the afr which is more accurate. you'll also have a afr gauge to monitor your results.
Do you know if anyone makes a plug for the stock o2 sensor? I'd like to remove mine and get it out of the exhaust stream if I go wideband.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Do you know if anyone makes a plug for the stock o2 sensor? I'd like to remove mine and get it out of the exhaust stream if I go wideband.

You could pull the o2 sensor and get a bolt that is the same threads. I want to say its an m12 or m14 fine thread maybe... but you can go grab an oil drain plug for a car and a copper washer, cut to the right length. I can pick these things up at my local hardware store for maybe 2 bucks rather than paying much more for a block off bolt.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Gents,

I want to thank all the above posters that have tweaked this EFIE to work with our beloved Groms. It is amazing what like minded individuals can accomplish.

As I have said in other posts I sold my 14 & bought an 18. Already ordered a Hindle & plan on opening up the intake too. ( whats the best "bang for the buck" on intake mods and not let dirt in?) I always felt my 14 was running slightly lean. My plans are to nip that in the bud with the EFIE. (already ordered)

I do not really ride the Grom much. My 14 had 600 miles when I sold it a couple weeks ago. I suppose I have too many motorcycles & not enough time to ride them all.

My Q is would you throw an exhaust, EFIE and an intake mod on a zero mile machine? Or would you break it in first? With 600 miles in 4 years it might take me a few years to accomplish the break in. :redface-new:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
id put at least 50 miles on it, just make sure its ok incase anything is glaringly wrong that would be covered under warranty (and get the rings at least seated). then do it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Break it in first so you can hear if there is any weird noises...cuz once you put that Hindle on you won't be able to hear anything.

Oh and you can NOT power the EFIE from the FI fuse using a fuse jumper (ADD-A-FUSE, fuse tap, shoving a wire into the socket, etc) . On the OG Groms you can, but on the 2017 and newer Groms that fuse is always powered on. Your battery will die if you try.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Break it in first so you can hear if there is any weird noises...cuz once you put that Hindle on you won't be able to hear anything.

Oh and you can NOT power the EFIE from the FI fuse using a fuse jumper (ADD-A-FUSE, fuse tap, shoving a wire into the socket, etc) . On the OG Groms you can, but on the 2017 and newer Groms that fuse is always powered on.
Somehow I failed to digest the last sentence solidjohnny.

Installing my EFIE I found all the fuses are hot. May I ask nicely, where do you suggest I pick up a switched source from? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Thanks in advance!!

201 - 220 of 246 Posts