Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the takegawa 4v thread and ran across the guy that broke a plastic part on the oil pump i believe. he fabricated a metal bolt to replace his broken plastic part. It peaked my interest and after doing some research I found that Nylon 66 has been used in high performance engines for awhile now. It has a high melting point, it's strong, provides low friction, etc etc

I found some on amazon, you can order all different sizes of rod diameter and length. I ended up ordering a 5/16" x 5 ft long rod for $10

I think Im going to try to fabricate my own cam chain tension bumper with it and also look into this oil pump failure and possible fabricated something up for that.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this material or used it before? It seems pretty strong and durable and quite a good candidate for upgrading some parts on the grom.

I also read that most automobile manufactures use the weaker version Nylon 6 due to cost associated with the more expensive 66 grade.

Im curious as to what grades of polymer the grom uses. If i was a betting man, and I am, my bet is its the cheapest version they could get away with. So this looks promising to me.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm the guy who used the bolt short term. I never had an oil pump failure, it was just the rubber tensioner button. It was replaced with a Finbro nylon button, so you're on the right track.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i just got the rod, im trying to figure out the specs of the finbro cam chain tensioner spacer so i can fab my own. i may end up using it to replace other parts as well. the stuff looks super tough.you wouldnt happen to know your dimensions?

im pretty sure this is the same stuff everyone is selling for a litttle tiny piece for $10. i got 5 feet for that price

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Nylon 6/6 for cam chain tension & various other parts

Order the Honda rubber part and measure it- it's less than $3
I used an 8mm shank bolt if that helps, but it was a slip fit and the nylon must be a press fit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ya i just like fabricating my own stuff as a hobby. saves money and i get to learn new things. win/win for me

ive had interest from people who want to buy some. so im just going to post her for future reference. i will sell some.

just send PM your info and we can work it out, 20 cents per inch, buyer pays shipping which im sure could most likely be just a regular letter mail stamp unless you want a couple feet or something. but its so light weight i dont think i would need to ship in any type of special shipping method unless requested. US only tho

·
Registered
48 Posts
Make a better wheel that presses on the actual cam chain. That's next in line to go n id buy a couple off of you. Mine just took a crap n there's no aftermarket options

1 - 9 of 9 Posts