Honda Grom banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up about the gas cap. It appears to be like other Hondas I have owned in that its operated with the ignition key. You want to keep this key slot lubricated. Its in a pefect place to collect water and crud. Twice a year give it a shot of graphited lock lube. Failure to do so can result in not being able to shut the gas cap. A shot of WD40 at the gas station will fix that, but you dont want to use WD40 as a regular thing. It dissolves the lubricant out of the lock. The lock can break and youll have to replace it. Not to mention what to do with a full tank of gas without being able to close the lid.

And another thing.

Be easy with the key in the gas lock (and the ignition). These keys like to break off if you twist them too hard. You dont want to have to deal with a broken key in the gas or ignition lock. Take a look at your key once in a while. Is it twisted? If so youre on the road to a snapped off key.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Just a heads up about the gas cap. It appears to be like other Hondas I have owned in that its operated with the ignition key. You want to keep this key slot lubricated. Its in a pefect place to collect water and crud. Twice a year give it a shot of graphited lock lube. Failure to do so can result in not being able to shut the gas cap. A shot of WD40 at the gas station will fix that, but you dont want to use WD40 as a regular thing. It dissolves the lubricant out of the lock. The lock can break and youll have to replace it. Not to mention what to do with a full tank of gas without being able to close the lid.

And another thing.

Be easy with the key in the gas lock (and the ignition). These keys like to break off if you twist them too hard. You dont want to have to deal with a broken key in the gas or ignition lock. Take a look at your key once in a while. Is it twisted? If so youre on the road to a snapped off key.
Actually Echo I think that is pretty good advice for ALL locks, not just one one on the Grom gas tank. All of my vehicle and house keys/locks work much better since I started doing that a few years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts