Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 18 grom. Not new to the power-sports clam but have some questions about the grom. Always wanted one but never really looked into the mods and what not. The grom I got has the BBK 181 kit I believe. Has also the dyno jet add ons also. First of all is there a way to stiff-in up the from shocks without spending a boat load of cash? I dont plan on doing stunts on this things just wanted some and fun to get me to work and back. Second, the clutch seems to engage when it is all but out. is that normal for these? from experience on my my race quad when the clutch did that is was all but toast. Doesnt seem to be slipping which is why im asking if that is normal on these. I have the ever adjust with a little play and have the mechanism on the motor adjusted the best i can with giving it a little play also. Bike also seems to back fire a little bit on deceleration, it has the dyno fuel ratio gage on it and the moduls as well. Not sure what they should be reading though. SOrry for all the nood questions but trying to learn about these things a little more and the only way to learn is from someone with a little more experience on them. ANy help is appreciated. Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
You can do the front for a little over $100. Order Öhlins springs from hard racing and get 30wt oil. I have my budget suspension build in the performance section. The clutch does engage really far out on these bikes in my experience. I will be installing a 6 disc clutch kit and 60% springs this weekend so I’m not sure if that helps with the late clutch engagement or not but I’ll report back what I find after I install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. I’ll have to look into that. Also, the front end on this thing feels a little squirly. Like just the littlest movement and it wants to wobble. Half afraid to let go of my other hand sometimes is that normal? I know there lite but is that why they do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is tight and I’ve got proper tire pressure. Well 33psi going by the tire anyways.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Is it just bad roads? The only time I get any issues with the front end is if the roads are trashed. If its a smooth road I can let go of both hands and coast no problem. I don't make a habit of that though because with 12" tires it doesn't take much at all to knock these little bikes off line. I run my tire pressure at 29psi front and rear. Maybe the 33psi is causing it to feel more twitchy than usual. No clue though. Try lower the air pressure to 29psi and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apparently my snap on digital gage is off. checked it with another gauge and it said there was 50 in the front lol....dropped it to 30 and it seems to be a little better. Now im having running issues. It has the power commander V and wide band 2 installed. Also has an AFR gauge. The AFR at idle is reading 18 which from what ive read it to high and its running lean. its almost wants to die out at idle. Its running about 12.5/13 AFR at 45mph. It tries to sputter when shifting gears also. Talked to dyno and they said they would help but they arent open when i call when i get off work and have to be home on the computer when i talk to them in order for them to help and thats hard to do. any ideas on what needs to be done here? thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hopefully someone else chimes in on that one. I have zero experience with tuners. I just bought your exact setup off another member but haven’t installed it yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts