Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my first fill up on my 2109 Grom, out of habit I checked the oil. Imagine my shock when I find out there is no oil on the stick. I went into the gas station store, bought some synthetic 5w-40 and started pouring it in. After checking several times it took the entire quart. . I brought iback to the dealership and they will video the work performed and send it to Honda. They immediately started to backpedal, Honda fills from the factory, we doublecheck, etc. There was no oil leakage on my garage and it didn't really even act weird.

Anybody elso receive a Grom with no oil in it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
How many miles did you put on before the first fill up?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So you mixed Dino oil and synthetic?

im almost positive that almost all motos dont come with oil from the factory, thats usually part of the dealer prep.
Also, if it didnt have oil in it, it would of never made it the 50-100 miles before you filled it up.

I'd be surprised if they didn't ship from Honda with oil. That long, slow, boat trip across the ocean and being surrounded by salt water is the perfect environment for corrosion.

Agreed on the second part. I'm thinking there's some operator error going on here

·
Super Moderator
118 Posts
I just emailed a friend of mine who is the GM at a Honda powersports dealer and he said:

• The Grom ships completely assembled except for the mirrors which the dealer installs. (I joked with him that now I know why my Grom's left mirror came loose and spun around a few days after I bought it.)
  • All vehicles ship with engine oil, but are usually 4-8 ounces (1/8 to 1/4 quart) low, so they add some during PDI.

The general pre-delivery instructions are:

• Adjust tire pressure
  • Check brake fluid
  • Check brake operation
  • Check chain tension
  • Check engine oil level
  • Check coolant level
  • Connect battery
  • Test drive
  • Check for leaks

He said the fluid levels are correct almost 100% of the time except for engine oil which is usually a little low.

·
Vendor
2,054 Posts
I’ve never seen a bike that didn’t ship from the factory full of oil, and I’ve pulled plenty of new bikes, from different manufacturers directly from the shipping crate, having never touched a dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
trust does not exclude control.:wink:
I bought dozens and dozens of new motorcycles & I have never had any problems with these. but it happened to me, after the first service, on one of my HD, to find that they had drained the oil, put the cap back on and forgot the oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts