Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a deposit a few months ago, and the dealer, East Bay Motorsports, gave me little to no details but said the price will be MSRP + freight setup and tax. So I assumed it would be around 3500$ PERFECT. After 3 months of waiting I do not get a call. I call them today and the salesman had my phone number wrong and couldn't get ahold of me but the grom just came in today! SWEET! I ask him the price and he said he hadn't totaled it up, but would call me back. 5 minutes later I get a call "It will be 4500+ tax" :furious: This isn't a 450 supermoto this is a F-ing aircooled tiny motored SCOOTER. This is insane to charge that much. I confront him about it and all I get is "Well in the valley they are paying over 5k OTD". I am not in the f-ing valley dude. What a load of crap. :furious:. Needless to say at 4500$ I could buy a near new DRZ400SM. Hell they cant cost much over 5k new. I feel jipped in a major way. Eventually in a year or two I may snag a used one, but at this point you guys are paying hand over fist for something that are dime a dozen elsewhere in the world. I mean seriously 4500$?! I bought a KLX250sf supermoto for 3700$ It was one year old and had 1900 miles on it. They were under 5k new. Absurd to spend this much money on a stupid scooter. I am seriously bummed it would have been a lot of fun but the price is just outrageous. Good luck to everyone who got them at the correct price (near 3400$ OTD) otherwise I hope the rest of you raise some hell over it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I feel for you man. I wouldn't let one bad experience at a dealership turn you off of the platform. Just wait a few months and when they are sitting on the showroom floors you will likely be paying UNDER MSRP. The prices are high right now because of capitalism. Supply and demand. Supply is low, demand is high and that means prices are high right now.

That is the American way, to be honest. However, its also the American way for you to vote with your dollar and not support a dealer that is jacking prices. Just be calm :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was afraid of that. It's why I negotiated my OTD price when I put down the deposit. $3600. What they are asking is ridiculous. I hope they eat the thing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I got my OTD price at time of deposit, and a printout as proof of what it will be.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I did go to what I now refer to as a SHADY dealer. No proof, no email confirmation of my deposit, no nothing. I offered several times to pay up front but was told that it wasn't necessary. I think I got jipped of my chance to own one of the coolest little scooters around! All over the dealer making a couple hundred bucks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is really stupid... East Bay Motosports cares clearly more about themselves then the sport. They'll get theirs... Dealerships like that get that way and stay that way wondering why they aren't bringing in new customers etc. Thanks for sharing your story... hopefully you'll look elsewhere and find one.

As the the Capitalism comment by someone else... Don't confuse Capitalism for Greed. Two very different things. I would hardly characterize a 125cc motorcycle that may have a large following as a reason for supply and demand inflation. Want not a need.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Believe me, the dealer is making money at $3500. My salesman was tickled to make a sale at $3600. Too dang tickled if you ask me, which means I over-paid a tad. Oh well, I'll save it on maintenance and fun, if I ever get the thing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Dealers... are like DRUG Dealers!
They know peeps are HOOKED! When was the last time the Dealer had This much interest in a Bike???

SAY NO TO EXPENSIVE DRUGS!!! Oooop I mean GROMS!

-Honest™

·
Registered
312 Posts
Madgrommer, I'm not sure where you are - but I'd guess Northern Cali, in Hayward? One other guy in this area got a good deal at Berkeley Yamaha. I have a deal which I think is still good at San Mateo Honda. Though I don't know how many units are unclaimed or spoken for. It wouldn't hurt to check these places out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Damn that sucks. I'm only paying $3400 OTD here.

Oh Grom isn't a scooter. It's a mini motorcycle.

Good luck with your future purchase, hope you get one.

Reactions: Gleechbob

·
Registered
223 Posts
East Bay Motorsports (assuming you mean the one in Hayward CA) doesn't especially have the best track record. I purchased a boat from them a few years back... no problems... but I've heard the horror stories.

If it helps at all... I got mine for $3580 from Berkeley Honda... 10 miles away. GREAT guys. I know their waiting list may be getting up there by now, but just another option for you...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
San mateo Honda could get me one beginning of October and price is right there with Berkeley Honda. Honestly the crf250le is 2000$ more and the availability is up there. It may be a better more useful option for me. Also summer is closing to an end, so everything might get thrown off the plate for a few months. How depressing that they would handle this situation so crappy. I could have easily been 2nd in line anywhere else but they are the largest dealer around here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Call around and be willing to drive a little. I'd drive a lot to save $900.

Oh and make sure to drag that dealer through the mud every chance you get.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That is just bad business. I am really hoping mine does not do that same. I don't expect them too. I didn't get the OTD price written in stone, but I did get a deposit receipt at least...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sucks...but totally feel ya on it! That's what I'm not looking forward to hear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts