Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok so I just put the cover on without oil and it feels like the clutch is grabbing again. Guess it could have been on too tightly

·
Registered
178 Posts
What was on too tightly?

I've got the same problem and the inside of my clutch looks the same as yours.

However, your clutch adjustment is all the way out while mine is all the way in. Have you tried adjusting that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok so it grabbed a little not enough to stall the bike,just threw the stock back on . All is well

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I believe he is referring to the 3 spring bolts,,, If to tight clutch will feel like its engaged and barely grabbing

The only thing that tightening the 3 stock clutch bolts too tightly will do is either strip the threads or crack the basket. You cant compress the springs too far by tightening those bolts.

What you can do is have miss aligned springs that are not in their seats which could cause coil bind, Miss aligned clutch disks so things dont go together properly, a non fully seated throwout bearing, or a plunger thats not properly in the side case that will all cause these issues.

Take your time when putting things back together and you wont have any issues.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The only thing that tightening the 3 stock clutch bolts too tightly will do is either strip the threads or crack the basket. You cant compress the springs too far by tightening those bolts.
This is not entirely true,,, thru my own experience when doing my clutch plate and springs I watched Z garage Video (that was a mistake) instead of referring to manuel. They suggested 12ftlbs of torque which i did and clutch did not feel or engage properly.

Went back re-checked EVERYTHING then I consulted manuel... Torqe spec is 9ftlbs adjusted accordingly and clutch has been fine ever since. I dont have the problematic koso plate, have a Kevtec the throwout bearing seats in there perfect.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
This is not entirely true,,, thru my own experience when doing my clutch plate and springs I watched Z garage Video (that was a mistake) instead of referring to manuel. They suggested 12ftlbs of torque which i did and clutch did not feel or engage properly.

Went back re-checked EVERYTHING then I consulted manuel... Torqe spec is 9ftlbs adjusted accordingly and clutch has been fine ever since. I dont have the problematic koso plate, have a Kevtec the throwout bearing seats in there perfect.

The inner basket and clutch lifter plate mate together positively, there is no gap between them at all if things are installed properly, as such there is no difference in how the clutch works as far as tightness of those bolts. Yes spec torque should be used but going over spec isnt going to make the clutch pack smaller by compressing it more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
After cracking open the clutch cover and double checking the clutch basket, I went for a ride and there was no change. With the bearing in place, the Koso plate is . 65mm thicker at the center ring, on the backside. Not sure if that's interfering with the basket. However, after letting the bike cool down, I swapped the stock plate back in and now my clutch cable adjustments at the cover are in the middle of the range versus all the way in. Huh! Time to email Koso.

Edit: Holy shit, what a night and day difference. The clutch bites so much better now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed a Koso clutch kit with the koso lifter plate and have been having the same issues. I have disassembled and reassembled my clutch about 10 times. I had to totally adjust the cables just to get the bike rolling but clutch slips under power and doesn’t feel right.
I have 2 groms so eventually disassembled the second to see what could have gone wrong. Not seeing any issues now except for what I’m reading now the suspect Koso plate.
Going to install the stock plate this weekend and let you guys know the results.

Thanks for posting this as I thought i was going crazy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes I also reinstalled my stock lifter plate and now clutch grabs 100%. Anyone have any luck reaching out to Koso for replacement or refund? I bought mine on ebay or amazon well over 30 days ago so not going to bother with the distributor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I emailed them over the weekend, but they haven't replied back yet. They've replied to my emails before...

·
Registered
54 Posts
So this appears to be a koso problem. I just installed one and am having the same issue as everyone else. I did 2 other groms with different plates with no problem. Did they ever get back to you?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have built 4 groms using the koso plates with no issues, make sure that the springs are correctly seated and that the clutch disks are correctly seated in the basket

·
Registered
178 Posts
No, they never got back to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Double checked the discs, and spring seating. Both good.
Top of the clutch pack flush with the basket?

Im installing another koso plate tomorrow and a smr 6 disk.

your problem is weird unless there's a batch of them that are machined wrong or something where did you get it from?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m updating this for search purposes. This week I installed a clutch plate from Drow and it works perfectly. While I had it out I took a couple quick measurements. The center area of the Koso plate was .030” thicker and the counterbore for the bearing was .065” closer to the face of the clutch plate. That was positioning the bearing closer to the clutch lever mechanism. This I believe is what causes the issue.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts