Honda Grom banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only seen people talk about installing the Red NGK Racing Cable (CR2). I also found another Blue NGK "Power Cable" (L1B). It's thicker than the CR2 cable. Does anyone know anything about using this with the Grom? It seems to be an entirely different series of spark plug wires.
Also, I feel that using the splicer to install the cable won't wield any benefits because I'm now being "bottlenecked" by the old cable. It seems like I order to achieve the full powerful spark delivered by our new cables is to replace the old cable entirely. But in many cases such as mine, my MSX wire is glued into my ignition coil. Can someone help me with info regarding my theory of the splicer and how to remove the old wire entirely? Thanks. Reporting in from Saigon, Vietnam.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
you can remove the cable from the coil you just have the get a pick to break the glue up and you can remove it and install the new coil wire. Its going to take you a little while to get the area where the wire goes into cleaned up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice B.C, just using my sore hands, I spent 30 minutes twisting and pulling the wire from the coil and still failed. I managed to peel back a portion of the rubber waterproof plug end on the coil, then began to twist and pull. All that happened is I stretched the heck out of the wire. In the end, I just cut the old wire 4" from the coil and used the splicer to attached the NGK wire. Although I didn't cut to shorten the NGK wire in hopes that I would manage to remove the old wire in the future. I was worried I would ruin the coil and not get to work that evening. I'll try again now.

Once I do get the old wire removed, does the new NGK wire screw into the coil like it would when attaching it to the splicer? Meaning, is there a screw point that attaches the wire to the coil? Or another way to ask is, how is the stock wire attached to the coil other than glue. Thanks buddy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts