Honda Grom banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up bros
Looking for buy my first bike. I don't know about motorcycles completely new to this. An I don't know anyone that knows anything about motorcycles lol. Just what I see on YouTube so far.

It's a 2019 with 1700 miles on it.

Found one in my area. I know it's just pictures. But if you see anything noticeably wrong with it can you let me know

Owner said the bike was kept outside. Seller says the chain is a little rusted and will need to be changed.

Also anyone have any advice on buying from a private seller. Like title, liens, things to look out for.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
on
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle Tire

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom
8 Posts
How much are they asking for this bike? I'm guessing at least over 4k. What are the mods other than the obvious? Cold air intake, stiffer clutch springs, power commander, sprocket sizes?
How long has it been sitting? How old is the gas that is in it? Ask him why he is still running stock chain adjusters?

·
Administrator
925 Posts
My motto: No title in hand, no sale. And I mean a title completely in the seller's name.

I NEVER buy a bike that has a lien on it. Just how I roll, the less headache, the better. It's already a PITA enough to deal with the DMV.

3k, maybe. You look like you live in a cold place, and that's not the environment I'd want a bike left sitting out in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much are they asking for this bike? I'm guessing at least over 4k. What are the mods other than the obvious? Cold air intake, stiffer clutch springs, power commander, sprocket sizes?
How long has it been sitting? How old is the gas that is in it? Ask him why he is still running stock chain adjusters?
Hey thanks for the response.

Less than 4k we are still negotiating. He said he only changed the tires, exhaust, and an air flow mod. Seller said he doesn't ride it much anymore except to the gym every now and then (he bought a cbr1000). He lives in a first floor apartment so he parks the bike outside.

Is running the stock chain adjusters a bad thing? Is it a sign of something else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My motto: No title in hand, no sale. And I mean a title completely in the seller's name.

I NEVER buy a bike that has a lien on it. Just how I roll, the less headache, the better. It's already a PITA enough to deal with the DMV.

3k, maybe. You look like you live in a cold place, and that's not the environment I'd want a bike left sitting out in.
Yeah I don't want any headaches. I just want a good first bike to learn to ride. Been hyped about this for a while. The seller says he has the title, only owner, and no liens. Not sure where he's from but he said he was moving wouldn't be able to use it that much there. I don't know if that's a normal thing. But he has a cbr1000. I don't know if I'm being paranoid but the fact he's moving sounds normal but at the same time seems a little sketchy. Im not sure why

·
Registered
13 Posts
If he has the title no problems there. If you are worried about the bike itself ask the owner to drop it off at a Honda shop and pay for a mechanic to check it out. offer a deposit (small) contingent on the conditio of the bike. Any negatives like the chain can then be used to settle on a price.
these are popular bikes so don’t mess around.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom
8 Posts
Hey thanks for the response.

Less than 4k we are still negotiating. He said he only changed the tires, exhaust, and an air flow mod. Seller said he doesn't ride it much anymore except to the gym every now and then (he bought a cbr1000). He lives in a first floor apartment so he parks the bike outside.

Is running the stock chain adjusters a bad thing? Is it a sign of something else?
Is running stock chain adjuster a bad thing? I just get a kick out of seeing people throwing every mod under the sun on their Grom, but they are still running a stock chain adjuster. Just do a google search on modified Groms you'll see it. Maybe I'm weird I'm always checking, adjusting, and lubing my chain. Maybe that's why my chains never rust. A stock chain adjuster tells me someone really doesn't give a sh_! about their bike.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,503 Posts
Is running stock chain adjuster a bad thing? I just get a kick out of seeing people throwing every mod under the sun on their Grom, but they are still running a stock chain adjuster. Just do a google search on modified Groms you'll see it. Maybe I'm weird I'm always checking, adjusting, and lubing my chain. Maybe that's why my chains never rust. A stock chain adjuster tells me someone really doesn't give a sh_! about their bike.
Lol, over 15,000 miles on my Grom. Stock adjusters. Chain cleaned and lubed every 100 to 200 miles. Aftermarket adjusters are unnecessary additional weight. They do make adjustments easier, but I have never had a problem with the stock adjusters like some people claim. It all comes down to personal preference.

Reactions: Matthew_R

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom
8 Posts
Lol, over 15,000 miles on my Grom. Stock adjusters. Chain cleaned and lubed every 100 to 200 miles. Aftermarket adjusters are unnecessary additional weight. They do make adjustments easier, but I have never had a problem with the stock adjusters like some people claim. It all comes down to personal preference.
Yeah, I was laying it down pretty thick. OTB chain adjusters make adjustments much easier. It makes more sense to me to add a mod that makes maintenance easier. As opposed to spending hundreds if not thousands to gain an extra 5 mph. As far as aftermarket chain adjusters adding unnecessary weight come on. What are we talking an extra few ounces? Then again I don't care about top end speed I run 14/37 sprockets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts