Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, picked up my first Grom yesterday - not ridden it yet!

Hoping to find all the information I need on here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome. You will find tons of info on this forum to help bring you up to speed. You must live in a cold climate, &/or rain like I’m currently experiencing. If not, get your insurance & go out & ride.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new here too. Been driving my grom to everywhere a little over a year now... I get curious and often somewhat admiring looks, I think because its sports bike like style.

I've had 3 accidents already! One because someone went through red lights - my option was to dodge and drive into a wall or straight into her side. Luckily I managed to slow down and neither of us was hurt, but I had to pay for a new indicator light. Another time I was pushed by a car in a traffic jam driving less than a walking pace so no harm done - except I had to replace the indicator light at OTHER SIDE. Third time was my own incompetence, cornering too fast with grit on the road and tyres lost traction. All lights broken and the bike wouldn't start. I thought it was going to be an expensive repair, but the next day the bike was going as well as always: Very forgiving engine! I only wish the indicators were flush with the other lights and not sticking out like frog-eyes, they are broken too easily just by the bike falling over. (At least it is easy to notice them on during the night and so turn them off if I forget.)

I have stalled because of forgetting which gear I am in, other times I hear the click when I change the gear but it hasn't changed after all, which baffles me, so I stall or rev the engine more than I should...

PROS: nice and quiet bike, fairly nippy in rush hour traffic as it goes through quite small gaps. Seat is nice and low, which is great for a shortie like me, especially as at least third of my commute is long waits at traffic lights, more during rush hour. Doesn't guzzle much gas.

CONS: there's nowhere to keep a raincoat and not even a small pocket under the seat for documents in case a police stops you. Or maybe there is underside the seat if you take out the document that comes with the bike, but taking the seat on and off is not that easy as it is not designed for it - the 2017 model does not have a locking system for a helmet. Even the engineer at Honda shop struggled struggled a bit to put the seat back. By the same token, it is nowhere as convenient for shopping as the other popular, semi-automatic Hondas and Suzukis. (My previous bike was the latter - you change gear but there is no clutch to worry about.) They take a basket in the front and one can always put something against the steering column and squeeze between knees - and the seat is more flat so it is easy to tie things up using the bars for a pillion passenger to hold on... Now I can transport less than half what I used to. My bike, (back wheel) is also a little heavier and more awkward to lift - an important factor when trying to get it out of too tightly packed parking lot. Or at home where there is no space to manoeuvre the bike fully around the other vehicles. Not a problem I usually find in the west, but in here in Asia where bikes are still more common than cars, parking woes like that is a daily occurrence.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
:wave:

A word of caution. Hiding your wallet does no good. Put it under lock and key...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts