Honda Grom banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I still ride my original Grom I bought new at the end of 2013 with 7000 miles on it from running errands in the city I live in. I live in an urban environment where all the roads around me are speed limited to 45mph including a dozen surrounding towns, kind of a "mini-moto" sweet spot. I bought a 2nd Grom, a 2015, un-serviced from my dealer to save for posterity, asking that the battery not be activated/installed, no gas put in the tank, only a fueling related recall was completed by the dealer. I bought it discounted as a left over when the 2nd generation Grom was introduced. The 2nd Grom is saved in storage simply because of my adoration for the 1st Grom, I wanted a "backup" for my golden years. I didn't know Honda would expand their 125cc lineup and it would be as rounded as it is today. When I bought a Monkey it took over the duties I was using the Grom for. Then I bought a Trail CT125 which took over the urban duties I was using the Monkey for. The Trail bike has opened up a new world to me as I now like riding on rural farm roads on cool nights due to the upgraded lighting I installed on it. So peaceful and relaxing, these nightly adventures. Pics...

I ordered the 2022 SP Grom to rip around on just because I love the original so much and to see how much the fun factor increases compared to the original Grom. I eagerly await it's arrival.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wait is over. Picked up an SP a couple days ago. Fender delete and TST Integrated tail light added this morning. Kept the rear OEM turn signals as I ride in an urban area. I like the additional turn signals integrated within the brake light and set it up with the triple brake flash mode when the brakes are applied for the sake of conspicuousness. Compared to riding my '14, in a word, this bike is so Smooth.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle brake

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I put 130 miles on it the other day. Of course the seat is more comfortable, wider. After sitting on a blue 22 at the dealership I was under the impression the seat was longer but that is not the case. I lost 50 pounds dieting since riding my 14 Grom last and I just sit more forward on the seat now.

Anyway, I've been consciously keeping rpms below 6000, it being new. Having that extra gear makes the bike so well behaved on city streets. It doesn't feel as high strung like you're running it to death at high rpms. For example every time I'm at 6000 rpm in 4th and go into 5th it drops 1000 rpm to 5000. Nice.

Weird though, when I start the engine, it needs to turn over a little longer than the 14. I guess maybe that's a characteristic of the new engine? Maybe others that have had both years will comment.

Having the new site glass is awesome. That is huge for me.

So far, I'm loving everything about it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far, I'm loving everything about it.
Well here it is 5 months later and I'm still "loving everything about it."

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Plant

I have 6500 miles on the SP now and been keeping a running history of maintenance, upgrades, and such in the HONDA GROMS FORUM here under the Grom Pictures/Videos / "2022 SP Pic After Fender Delete" thread. I just wanted to book end this introduction post and say I've been posting there! It's nice to keep a history of what I've done with the bike and how it has evolved that I can go back and reference when I need to look something up. The bike still has no engine performance modifications, haven't gotten bored with its performance as yet.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.