Honda Grom banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just picket up my first Honda grom it’s a 2017 red sf with 750 miles on it I have had other bikes in the past I know what I was buying was not a rocket ship but the fuel mpg for my 8 mile work commute and around town this thing is fun but I feel like 52 is on low end for these bikes the more I read I am not that high on rpm while in 4 and toped out maybe 6500-7000 rpm does this thing just need rode I know it’s sat a lot with the low miles what other thing should I look into checked tire psi an break drag I was gonna change oil just cuz don’t know if it’s been done yet and it sat for while thanks for info or help I just keep reading
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 "OG" Grom, See "About Me"
48 Posts
Unless you want to put some pretty serious $$$$ into it, the Grom is not fast, it was designed for FUN. My Grom is not exactly fast - I can redline it with no tuck and no headwind (62.5mph), but I have probably spent close to what I originally paid for it in aftermarket performance parts. Most of us that own Groms have other (bigger) bikes, but we strongly prefer riding the Grom because of the "fun" factor. If you want to go faster on the Grom, the first 3 things I would invest in are a fuel controller, intake, and exhaust. After that, you will start spending a lot of money for smaller gains in speed/power. Also, your engine is barley broken in, it will go slightly faster (~3-4mph) as it loosens up. Learning to tuck properly is your friend, especially with just an 8 mile commute, and running a few pounds over on the tire pressure helps as well...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip I was just not getting anywhere near red line in fourth did not know if I should do sprocket change really was what I was thinking to get higher rpm and maybe a lil more speed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the tip I was just not getting anywhere near red line in fourth did not know if I should do sprocket change really was what I was thinking to get higher rpm and maybe a lil more speed
If you are a "big guy" like me, 6'2", 210-215 lbs. it takes some "doing" to get a stock Grom to 55-60 mph, especially without tucking, the wind can be a real b*****. That's why I suggested the performance mods. I have run "stock" final drive ratios since the day I bought my OG. Regarding the sprocket changes, yes, it will help. Just be aware that if you change your final drive sprockets, you will have to get a "speedo healing" device to compensate for the changes to your indicated speedometer reading, and odometer readings...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I can’t complain at all this thing is a lot of fun no matter what and I love the mpg over my 21 f150 5.0 and keeps miles of that thing too so all in all not mad just thought advertised mph was 58 so 52 seemed slow but I guess I will keep breaking her in I did put new chain on it the last one was pretty stiff from not much riding in 5 years so see if that helps any and I got rid of rear tail
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice Lookin' Grom! I'm giggling remembering when my original Vee Rubber rear tire looked like that, I have been through 2 rear tires already (I don't do "burn offs"), and am really happy with the Michelin Power Pure SC that I run now, it has already eaten a nail, and still going, over 1000 miles now, and just barely showing signs of center line wear (crown flattening). BTW, what brand/model rear fender eliminator kit did you go with? I wonder if they make one for the OG? That looks clean, and I like that plate mounting - not in the fender well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All he is doing is pushing it around it’s not on but I get what you guys mean I will try to train them young to be helpers and learn to do things because if it does not get done by me the wife or kids there are things we will sacrifice or have to miss till they get done so many hands make light work and everyone can have more fun that way but we’ll see how that goes my kids are 2 and 6 and we have not been ones to just put them on screen time we live on 7 acres have pond and garden with some atv trails we ride snowmobiles in winter and we have a trailer and boat and jet skis at the lake for summer time so we stay busy and outside a lot there is a lot of maintenance work to learn and go around I was brought up around all of that as well and have learned a lot from my parents and grandparents so hope we can keep it going this is just another commuter fun toy for me my wife was not keen on me have bikes after we had kids I may have been lil crazy on some of them so I understand but this is a way for me to get that joy I got with out doing 120mph everywhere and saves gas and fun to rite love the bike so far tho

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you all think if I did an air box mod so removing mesh screen behind filer and restrictive tube and add a cheap Amazon or eBay exhaust I would need a tune even if I reset the tps and ecu

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lschumaker, I would strongly advise just buying a cold air intake (tuned intake), as this will give you the best bang for your buck. You can find them pretty cheap on amazon these days, just make sure to get a decent air filter for it, your Grommy's engine will love you for it, and last longer. Make sure that the intake you buy has a spot to mount the IAT (intake air temp) sensor! Also, there is no need to reset the ECU or TPS when replacing the intake system. Please see pics for later reference, when you actually do have to perform either procedure - This is from the Honda Service Manual for the Grom years 2014-2020.
Here's the pics:
Book Publication Font Paper Paper product

Book Publication Font Material property Snapshot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts