Honda Grom banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Unfortunately, my Grom was stolen yesterday (June 6th) while I was out mountain biking on a day trip. It was parked in my Los Angeles apartment driveway under the carport between a few other motorcycles. I have a chain and u-lock that I use, but I had become complacent and got too comfortable with parking my bike there without attaching the lock and chain to it and another bike.

Why? Well, I wanted it to be more convenient so that I could just quickly hop on my Grom and get going without having to mess with the lock and chain. How much more stupid could I have been!? That convenience also made it much more easy for others to just pick it up and steal it.

This is the most upsetting part about all this. I think because over the years, I never had any issues with anyone messing with my bikes right out in front of my apartment, I started to get a false sense of security and just plain got lazy. Had I just been vigilant and locked it up every time I parked it, my Grom might still be here. Now of course, no security is 100% foolproof, but I could have at least prevented a crime of opportunity.

So lesson is, DON'T EVER become complacent and let your guard down. I made the terrible mistake and paid for it.

Anyways, it's a long shot, but I will also post my bike's details in case it turns up anywhere and any of you are kind enough to keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

• 2014 Red
  • California license plate# 23W1405
  • Two brothers full system exhaust (badge/logo removed)
  • Protaper Honda mini bars w/ Rox pivot risers
  • Racing Bros fork upgrade kit (fork caps are very distinct - externally adjustable for rebound/compression)
  • Stock front turn signals, but small LED aftermarket rear signals
  • Michelin Power Pure tires with low miles on them

This photo is from before I put the new handlebars and risers on:

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,419 Posts
Sorry for your loss, I am a long way from you but I will keep my eyes peeled. I'm sure everyone would feel better with one less thief in the world. Best wishes for you to get it back unharmed.

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
815 Posts
These small bikes are so easy to take. Theft dictated where I ride and what I do. Won't leave it out of sight and I couldn't leave it outdoors overnight. No doubt it would get stolen.

I've had one bike stolen. Another attempted theft, and have witnessed and stopped 2 thefts.

Keep an eye out for used parts for sale. Use Search Tempest to search Craigslist. Although being in LA, surely stuff drops south of the border.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These small bikes are so easy to take. Theft dictated where I ride and what I do. Won't leave it out of sight and I couldn't leave it outdoors overnight. No doubt it would get stolen.

I've had one bike stolen. Another attempted theft, and have witnessed and stopped 2 thefts.

Keep an eye out for used parts for sale. Use Search Tempest to search Craigslist. Although being in LA, surely stuff drops south of the border.
Yeah, I can't tell you how disappointed I am with myself for becoming lax over time with the security of my Grom in the carport. I had everything I needed to chain it up to either another bike or a building post, but I just got lazy after a while and blew it. SOOOO STUPID!!!🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
815 Posts
Yeah, I can't tell you how disappointed I am with myself for becoming lax over time with the security of my Grom in the carport. I had everything I needed to chain it up to either another bike or a building post, but I just got lazy after a while and blew it. SOOOO STUPID!!!🤦‍♂️
Not sure what your living situation is, if you have a downstairs unit or not but if I did I'd put the bike inside the apartment.

We did that with my brother's GSXR750 years ago. Walked it through the unit and put it on the back patio that was boxed in.

Another member on here was putting his Monkey in his apartment or condo too.

If they really have the desire, not much will stop a thief.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what your living situation is, if you have a downstairs unit or not but if I did I'd put the bike inside the apartment.

We did that with my brother's GSXR750 years ago. Walked it through the unit and put it on the back patio that was boxed in.

Another member on here was putting his Monkey in his apartment or condo too.

If they really have the desire, not much will stop a thief.
I've got some steps up into my apt, so it's not super practical.

I used to park in the rear of the apt, so the bike was out of sight from any passersby on the street. But building inspectors said it wasn't allowed anymore :/

I think I'm going to up my security game. Gonna get some cameras, maybe an disc lock alarm, and more chains.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to hear that... I'm quickly realizing that this is a huge downside to owning a Grom. I'm very hesitant to park anywhere out of sight unless I'm running a quick errand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to hear that... I'm quickly realizing that this is a huge downside to owning a Grom. I'm very hesitant to park anywhere out of sight unless I'm running a quick errand.
Yeah, it really makes you have to think a lot further ahead when it comes to parking. I wish they'd allow motorcycles under 150cc to park on sidewalks so that you can chain the bike to a meter or those bicycle tube racks they have in cities. I mean, It's not uncommon to see a scooter parked on the sidewalk from time to time, but it's always a gamble with parking enforcement.

In addition to a more heavy duty chain and lock, I've also got a Kryponite Keeper integrated chain that is less bulky and heavy, which makes it a little more easy to travel with.

Too bad I didn't have either that or the heavy duty chains attached to my Grom in my driveway at the time of it being stolen... I will forever live in the shame of such hubris.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm certain that your loss is a security lesson for all of us. I sincerely hope your Grom is located soon.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So sorry to hear about this. I think I’m a lot like Chillis, when it comes to my Grom. I only let it out of my sight about three times early on, when it was mostly stock. Once was at an office meeting with an architect and the other couple of times were at restaurants. At each of the restaurants I got up to check on it every few minutes...lol.

Now, when I’m out and about, I don’t take any chances. The bike looks quite a bit more flashy after tons of mods. There are no shortage of thieves, who wouldn’t hesitate to steal it. Now, I only ride it to restaurants where I can keep an eye on it the whole time (just did this the other night, in fact). If I’m going somewhere and the parking situation isn’t optimal, then I just take my beater car.

I too, wish I could just park it on the sidewalk in front of businesses. When I was in Paris, France, that seemed to be the norm there. The sidewalks had scooters and motorcycles everywhere. I will push the limits of what I think I can get away with in some cases. If someone has a problem, I’ll explain to them that I’m very concerned about theft, because this little bike is so easily stolen.

If the Police want to write me a ticket, whatever. I’d rather pay the ticket, then have my bike stolen.

I’m used to this. I’ve owned probably over 15 bicycles in my life. None of them were cheap. A few of them cost over $10,000. I never let them out of my sight. My friends would go out to eat after a ride and leave their bike on their car unattended. Not me. If I couldn’t keep an eye on it the whole time, I’d just go home after the ride. I don’t want to lose a bike that expensive. It’s not worth it.

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
124 Posts
I recently saw a GPS tracking unit for motorcycles and the subscription was only like 4 dollars a month. Had Apple and Android apps. Would be the way to go if you can't keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The GPS tracking device is called Monimoto.
[/URL]
They sell it on Amazon, the company is in Europe.
I own one of these. It’s really good and works very stable and reliable. The reason I choose this one over others is the combined functionality of GPS and geotagging on the cellular signal. This way you can see the location of your bike also in places where the GPS don’t functions (or is jammed 😉).

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom MSX125
44 Posts
Hey folks,

Unfortunately, my Grom was stolen yesterday (June 6th) while I was out mountain biking on a day trip. It was parked in my Los Angeles apartment driveway under the carport between a few other motorcycles. I have a chain and u-lock that I use, but I had become complacent and got too comfortable with parking my bike there without attaching the lock and chain to it and another bike.

Why? Well, I wanted it to be more convenient so that I could just quickly hop on my Grom and get going without having to mess with the lock and chain. How much more stupid could I have been!? That convenience also made it much more easy for others to just pick it up and steal it.

This is the most upsetting part about all this. I think because over the years, I never had any issues with anyone messing with my bikes right out in front of my apartment, I started to get a false sense of security and just plain got lazy. Had I just been vigilant and locked it up every time I parked it, my Grom might still be here. Now of course, no security is 100% foolproof, but I could have at least prevented a crime of opportunity.

So lesson is, DON'T EVER become complacent and let your guard down. I made the terrible mistake and paid for it.

Anyways, it's a long shot, but I will also post my bike's details in case it turns up anywhere and any of you are kind enough to keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

• 2014 Red
  • California license plate# 23W1405
  • Two brothers full system exhaust (badge/logo removed)
  • Protaper Honda mini bars w/ Rox pivot risers
  • Racing Bros fork upgrade kit (fork caps are very distinct - externally adjustable for rebound/compression)
  • Stock front turn signals, but small LED aftermarket rear signals
  • Michelin Power Pure tires with low miles on them

This photo is from before I put the new handlebars and risers on:
View attachment 90254
So sorry about the loss of your Grom, LeatherWings. or anything? I know it’s a long shot, but are there any cameras near the carport or on the street near it? Or any nearby houses or buildings with cameras that might be facing that way? I was just thinking maybe something could have recorded the person/vehicle that took your Grom, either in the act or even passing through an intersection by a traffic cam. I don’t know how accessible footage like that is to someone, but cameras everywhere these days...maybe if you knock on the right door (figuratively and literally), you might find something!!!! I really hope it makes its way back to you!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts