Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if anyone is running a stock airbox on a Neo head, if so how well does it fit?
I have the larger Koso / Takegawa tube and a 34mm TB.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The head is slightly longer then stock so im not 100% if the intake port is moved or still in the same location. If your spending the money on a neo, Spend the $150 for a proper intake setup...lol. Silly not to. Stock airbox is very restrictive.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I'm asking, intake port is moved about 7mm to the front of the bike, so connection to the TB and the lower support for the airbox move in the same direction. Lower support I can make something that would fit I guess but I'm not sure the tube can be bent that much.
It's not a money thing regarding the use of the stock airbox, it's noise related. We're not allowed to modify a vehicle in any way, they will tolerate an exhaust or intake mod if it's not too loud but BBK is a no go. So I try to keep it low profile, that's why I use a quiet exhaust and the airbox, plus I don't care for noise, it only saves pedestrians lives :LOL:
I tried the Chimera intake on a 125 it's very loud, tried it on a Takegawa 4 valve way too loud.
As for it being restrictive I am using the bigger inlet / outlet tubes and I honestly didn't see any difference on the 125 between it and the Chimera. Might make a difference on a 181 but it's not worth it to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you think the Chimera is loud and you fear of getting in trouble..I would suggest not modifying your grom in any way because that intake is not loud at all for anyone to even notice its modified unless they also own a grom lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Slap a filter on the throttle and put an oil cooler where the air box was. Get it done now, before Summer arrives.

If you're dead-set on running the air box with Koso tubes - yes, it will fit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So what is the final conclusion with this? Can you use the stock airbox with the Neo kit?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the Neo kit on my spare engine and in the bike yesterday. I'm running a 34mm Koso intake with it.
Stock air box with Takegawa filter and bigger connecting tubes. It fits but it's really tight.
The back of the airbox is against the injector / fuel line and the fork trees (?) are against the airbox on full lock.
Would prefer to have a few spare mm on each side but that's just the way it is. I think Kitaco has some kind of steering stopper thingy, might look into it.
Next thing is to find where the insane ticking is coming from. At idle and when cold it spins nicely but once warm with a few revs it doesn't sound very good unfortunately 😬

·
Registered
75 Posts
Neo kit tiks a lot for me too when warm,
I checked valve clearance a few times and my piston for damage, all was good.
The ticking seems to be normal I would say

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure it's normal on mine. I've had many small Hondas over the years but have never heard valves this loud, even with older BBK / heads and valve lash out of spec.
Already checked valve lash twice and the cam chain / tensioner assy, everything seems perfect.
I'm surprised by the difference between cold (perfect, no ticking at all) and warm (oil at 50-60 degrees) where it's very loud. I'm a bit lost on this one honestly!

·
Registered
75 Posts
it's the same thing for me. It worried me for the 1000km break in where I checked the valves a lot. They were always good.
I checked the piston for damages & redid the valves measurement from scratch when I did the oil change & cleanup after the breaking in. (I did not check the cam chain assy thought). And it is still doing it too.
Maybe it's all because of the very stiff valve spring that expand with warmth? (I'm just spitballing here, I'm not a pro on the matter ^^)
Or maybe ask Kitaco themselves if that kit is supposed to tik louder than usual when warm ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Installed the Neo kit on my spare engine and in the bike yesterday. I'm running a 34mm Koso intake with it.
Stock air box with Takegawa filter and bigger connecting tubes. It fits but it's really tight.
The back of the airbox is against the injector / fuel line and the fork trees (?) are against the airbox on full lock.
Would prefer to have a few spare mm on each side but that's just the way it is. I think Kitaco has some kind of steering stopper thingy, might look into it.
Next thing is to find where the insane ticking is coming from. At idle and when cold it spins nicely but once warm with a few revs it doesn't sound very good unfortunately 😬
Help me make sure I understand correctly. So the airbox had to be mounted further forward? The connecting tube couldn’t simply be bent a little? I thought you had been running the Neo kit for a while now?

I hate to hear about the tight fit and ticking issue. I was always under the impression that the Neo kit was about perfect. This makes me seriously reconsider installing one. Maybe I will stay 125cc, install a higher compression piston, and a ported head. Not sure.

I’m always afraid the crankshaft will eventually break if I modify the engine too much. I like the fact that the Neo kit comes with a forged crank. It’s too bad someone doesn’t make a forged crankshaft that will fit the stock bore.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
992 Posts
Do you think thicker oil would help? Since it only does it warm, maybe the oil is getting too thin?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Help me make sure I understand correctly. So the airbox had to be mounted further forward? The connecting tube couldn’t simply be bent a little? I thought you had been running the Neo kit for a while now?

I hate to hear about the tight fit and ticking issue. I was always under the impression that the Neo kit was about perfect. This makes me seriously reconsider installing one. Maybe I will stay 125cc, install a higher compression piston, and a ported head. Not sure.

I’m always afraid the crankshaft will eventually break if I modify the engine too much. I like the fact that the Neo kit comes with a forged crank. It’s too bad someone doesn’t make a forged crankshaft that will fit the stock bore.
The air box is attached to the frame, these points don't (can't) change. The Neo head is slightly taller (closer to the front fender) due to the longer intake tract so the mounting point of the inlet manifold is also closer to the front fender (7-8mm?). You could just bend the tube a bit and cheat by pushing the lower part of the air box to the front but the main reason you don't want to move the air box too much is that the fairings have to fit in it. The Koso TB and manifold are physically bigger. The Takegawa air filter also makes the air box ''longer'' by a few mms. All these things combined make it a very tight fit. Yesterday it took a few mms of the air box where it was touching the fuel line, it's already much better. Could eventually try to heat it up where the triple trees touch the air box and make some more space there, or just install a steering stopper.
This fitting problem is not Kitacos fault, they say to use their manifold and TB. I'm creating this problem by using the stock air box, Takegawa filter and Koso manifold and TB.

I was running a 4 valve Takegawa with 5 speed and Kitaco crank, took the head and cylinder off it and replaced with the Neo (I did change to the longer cam chain). It was all running great and I didn't really have time to swap, that's why I'm only doing it now.

The ticking issue is, I think, more specific to my build, I might have missed something I guess. I doubt it's normal and that many others are experiencing the same thing. Everything I got hardware wise seems perfect, like 99,999% of the time with Kitaco and Takegawa. If you think of getting a Neo kit do it, plenty of those around running great. Even mine is running great, it just ticks a bit... lol

Do you think thicker oil would help? Since it only does it warm, maybe the oil is getting too thin?
It might, they recommend both 5w40 and 10w50, I'm running 10w40. But I doubt it would make that much of a difference. My problem starts with oil at around 50 degrees Celsius which isn't warm in the first place, but I think I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was running a 4 valve Takegawa with 5 speed and Kitaco crank, took the head and cylinder off it and replaced with the Neo (I did change to the longer cam chain). It was all running great and I didn't really have time to swap, that's why I'm only doing it now.

The ticking issue is, I think, more specific to my build, I might have missed something I guess. I doubt it's normal and that many others are experiencing the same thing. Everything I got hardware wise seems perfect, like 99,999% of the time with Kitaco and Takegawa. If you think of getting a Neo kit do it, plenty of those around running great. Even mine is running great, it just ticks a bit...
Just out of curiosity, what made you want to switch from the Takegawa 4-valve to the 2-valve Neo Kit?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes as I had the opportunity to buy a new complete Neo kit very cheap. In France you're not aloud to modify anything basically so I prefer the standard look of the Neo vs the Takegawa 4 valve. But I'll keep the Takegawa for now as it's a great kit, it makes descent power, has the decompression mechanism that I like and has been very reliable.
Still didn't get time to mess with the Neo ticking thing. I changed to a manual cam tensioner, thicker oil, valve gap to minimum and still the same thing at about 50-60 degree C it starts making that weird sound.
I'll come back to it in the winter. Right now I'm fighting with a Kugelfischer injection pump on an old Peugeot 504 Cabriolet. It's a lovely car but I hate working on it, and on cars in general! :LOL:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts