Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does a big bore kit add a lot of vibration to your bike?

I read where someone complained about a Kitaco Neo kit made their bike vibrate a lot more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My bike has the chop chop like bigger bikes do. I has to loctite my license plate bolts. Other then that, no issues. When your riding cant even notice it.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
For all my BBK kit building and for the money I would go with the NEO 181-2v kit, it is very well built.

Changes I would do would be to
add the Takegawa 5 speed transmission
add a external 5 or more row oil cooler
add a 4 the bearing support for the flywheel
add a Takegawa oil catch can or something in that range
add a Aracer mini-5 with AF1 unit
add a duel valve spring setup like they did on the old 170-183-2v heads made by BrianS or Finbro

change out the cam chain arm with a Koso cam chain kit and add a GFZ"GromFatherZ" adjustable cam chain tensioner unit.

I would have the head ported and port match on both the intake hole and exhaust hole

If using the stock throttle body, I would port out the stock throttle body to about 26-27mm and polish the butter fly valve or go to the Koso 34mm throttle body and do the same thing with the porting of the throttle body and port match the inlet tube to the intake port of the head and also polish the inlet tube.

The sprocket setup I would go with 16/34-16/32, 17/34-17/32 depending on tire size.

for added roll I would get GFZ speed spacer or take your own wheel spacers and machine it down so the spacer does not touch the dust seal.

If you got the money to burn carbon fiber wheels "BST"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Absolutely man I hope you enjoy the set up as much as me. I built mine for cruising speeds. 17/32t let's me sit at 6500rpm at 65mph. And I'm 240lbs.
Installed the DHM 186 big bore kit.

Flashed my Aracer 5 mini for the closest setup in terms of cc and modification, now I just need to ride it in auto tune mode, break it in with varying RPMs, accelerations and deceleration, and we shall see.

My first 5 minute ride with it was just to make sure everything was working as it should without strange noises or leaks. Perfect so far.

No surprise that initial impressions are that the bike is pulling harder than it did before.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Awesome. Look forward to hearing what you think after getting some miles on it. 👍

·
Registered
102 Posts
Installed the DHM 186 big bore kit.

Flashed my Aracer 5 mini for the closest setup in terms of cc and modification, now I just need to ride it in auto tune mode, break it in with varying RPMs, accelerations and deceleration, and we shall see.

My first 5 minute ride with it was just to make sure everything was working as it should without strange noises or leaks. Perfect so far.

No surprise that initial impressions are that the bike is pulling harder than it did before.
Did you end up staying with the stock gearing 15/34t? Glad you like it man, I love mine so much haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went with a 16T front. Tried it out before I put in the big bore kit, and the 16T is terrible with stock engine.

16T is terrific with the extra displacement. The bike is much more capable now. I can pass cars and zip up hills! The seat of the pants torque increase puts a smile on my face.

Eager to get more experience with it. Put another 20 miles on it since last post. Assuming the extra power does not lead to all sorts of other component failures, this engine upgrade is so much fun.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Put 50 miles on the new DHM 186 this AM, and did not hold back on pushing it. No way to take it easy on a Grom :)

Very happy with it.

I no longer have to keep the throttle pinned all the time, wringing the neck of the poor Grom, screaming near the limiter and wishing for more power. Now, I am rarely at WOT for my style of riding and have power to spare.

Do it if you are on the fence.

Attached is a list of install instructions I put together for my needs, with some links that are very helpful.

DHM 186 ALL INCLUSIVE BIG BORE KIT

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went with a 16T front. Tried it out before I put in the big bore kit, and the 16T is terrible with stock engine.

16T is terrific with the extra displacement. The bike is much more capable now. I can pass cars and zip up hills! The seat of the pants torque increase puts a smile on my face.

Eager to get more experience with it. Put another 20 miles on it since last post. Assuming the extra power does not lead to all sorts of other component failures, this engine upgrade is so much fun.
Awesome. Thanks for the update. I'm considering snagging a 16t to try that out and for a little bit more acceleration over the 17t I'm currently running.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Want More Power! :)

Asked DH what head to use on his kit and he recommended The Finbro 3.0

Will call Hard Racing to get some more details on what this install may require.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Will call Hard Racing to get some more details on what this install may require.
Hell yeah. Keep me updated. I'd gladly go with that head. Cheapest ported and polished with bigger valves.

·
Registered
116 Posts

He didn’t recommend his head?

Someone said in another thread that his heads were reworked Finbro heads. I thought maybe he went through them and did some more work to them to have more power and make sure they were 100%.

Either way, I’m sure it would be a great setup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
He didn’t recommend his head?

Someone said in another thread that his heads were reworked Finbro heads. I thought maybe he went through them and did some more work to them to have more power and make sure they were 100%.

Either way, I’m sure it would be a great setup.
His webstore literally say he uses oem stock honda heads. Not finbros head. He probably recommend the finbros head for now because hes moving shop and basically out of stock of everything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Finbro heads technically are OEM heads. I’m not claiming to know what he uses. Only stating what we discussed previously.

This is the thread:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finbro heads technically are OEM heads. I’m not claiming to know what he uses. Only stating what we discussed previously.

This is the thread:

No worries man. It's cool to know that hes actually said the finbros head will work as well with his 186cc bbk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts