Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been digging through dozens of post on BBK's and wanted to see if those who have been in this realm would help me decide on a BBK. What I'm looking for is reliability with the ability to cruise at 60mph all day with a 240lbs rider (not sure if that's asking too much from this little bike).

My current mods:
Dinger Built long tube intake
DHM Flashed ECU
Hindle Exhaust

Parts on the way:
SMR Clutch Kit
SMR 60% Springs with upgraded lifter plate
Complete Dynojet Set up (PcV, Wbc2 Autotune, Pv3, DJ Afr Gauge)
High flow SUP oil pump (havent decided between kitaco or Takegawa)

My initial thought was the finbro head with the Takegawa 143 to keep things reliable. Not sure this option would cover the 60mph cruise speed.

I also looked at the Koso 170 4v but am hearing they eat rollers pretty frequently. I do think this would achieve the 60mph cruise speed but I'd be wrenching on this bike often.

I read a bit about 163's but cant find who sells that kit.

Anything bigger than 170 has me concerned about the connecting rod. I'd rather not split the case to upgrade the rod if I can help it but if its the only way I guess I'll have to suck it up and do it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
706 Posts
What about the DHM 181 kit? At your weight I would want the displacement for the torque gain. Stock head with a port keeps things reliable. Don't mess with rev limit and won't have to worry to much about con-rod.

At the same time, getting the rider on a diet plan will also net you as much performance as bolt-ons. (This is in no way meant to be offensive)

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the DHM 181 kit? At your weight I would want the displacement for the torque gain. Stock head with a port keeps things reliable. Don't mess with rev limit and won't have to worry to much about con-rod.

At the same time, getting the rider on a diet plan will also net you as much performance as bolt-ons. (This is in no way meant to be offensive)
No offense taken. I definitely need to drop weight. Not only for performance gain but for health. My GF on her stock grom walks away from me in the upper speeds but she's 90lbs lighter than me. My weight and needing the torque is the reason I never did the spinner delete.

The DHM 186 kit is an option. If the rod would be safe I could go that route. I just want to be able to have as reliable a bike as possible. Not trying to be constantly wrenching on it and we go for long rides away from home. Dont want to be worrying about breaking down in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the stock head with a port. I like that idea but cant seem to find anyone to do it. I have a few messages out but get no response. That's what made me consider the Finbro head.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd say do the dhm 186cc kit. With the mods you currently have, all youd need is to purchase the kit, and change your gearing up bit. I personally run this kit on my grom (17/32t sprockets) and I can cruise at 65mph all day at 6500rpms. I'm also 240lbs. So far I've had it up to 70 durning the break in period and it's got a ton left. So long as it's not being revved out I wouldnt be to concerned with cracking the case for the connecting rod.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No offense taken. I definitely need to drop weight. Not only for performance gain but for health. My GF on her stock grom walks away from me in the upper speeds but she's 90lbs lighter than me. My weight and needing the torque is the reason I never did the spinner delete.

The DHM 186 kit is an option. If the rod would be safe I could go that route. I just want to be able to have as reliable a bike as possible. Not trying to be constantly wrenching on it and we go for long rides away from home. Dont want to be worrying about breaking down in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the stock head with a port. I like that idea but cant seem to find anyone to do it. I have a few messages out but get no response. That's what made me consider the Finbro head.
Dhm also does head porting I believe on stock heads with stock valves. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As you mentioned in my Yoshimura cam thread, our end goals seem similar regarding power delivery. I weigh about 160 lbs, so maybe 170 lbs all geared up. Reliability is very important to me.

I like the Kitaco Neo 181 kit. It is a bit more work splitting the case, but you end up with a solid setup afterwards. Being a 2 valve head, I‘m betting it is much easier on the cam chain tensioner. Kitaco makes good stuff.

By the the time you replace nearly everything in the motor, it’s basically a different motor at that point. All of the weaknesses have been replaced with something heavy duty. The Neo kit is very complete. Combine it with all of the supporting mods, and you should have a pretty reliable setup I would think. With that said, it’s a snowball effect. I think, “Well, If I get the Neo kit, then I might as well get the 5 speed transmission while I have the case split. Might as well get the oil catch can, 34mm throttle body and intake manifold, new gearing, etc”. It starts getting crazy quickly.

I’m not sure what to do next. I think an aRacer Mini 5 with AF1 is probably next. That way I can stop bothering Cameron Jones about different ECU flashes when I make changes to the bike...lol. I’ll install it with the Yoshimura cam and see how I like things.

I don’t know if I want to do a high compression piston, ported larger valve head, bored throttle body, etc. or just do the Neo kit. I wonder if the Neo kit is actually the more reliable option.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you mentioned in my Yoshimura cam thread, our end goals seem similar regarding power delivery. I weigh about 160 lbs, so maybe 170 lbs all geared up. Reliability is very important to me.

I like the Kitaco Neo 181 kit. It is a bit more work splitting the case, but you end up with a solid setup afterwards. Being a 2 valve head, I‘m betting it is much easier on the cam chain tensioner. Kitaco makes good stuff.

By the the time you replace nearly everything in the motor, it’s basically a different motor at that point. All of the weaknesses have been replaced with something heavy duty. The Neo kit is very complete. Combine it with all of the supporting mods, and you should have a pretty reliable setup I would think. With that said, it’s a snowball effect. I think, “Well, If I get the Neo kit, then I might as well get the 5 speed transmission while I have the case split. Might as well get the oil catch can, 34mm throttle body and intake manifold, new gearing, etc”. It starts getting crazy quickly.

I’m not sure what to do next. I think an aRacer Mini 5 with AF1 is probably next. That way I can stop bothering Cameron Jones about different ECU flashes when I make changes to the bike...lol. I’ll install it with the Yoshimura cam and see how I like things.

I don’t know if I want to do a high compression piston, ported larger valve head, bored throttle body, etc. or just do the Neo kit. I wonder if the Neo kit is actually the more reliable option.
Yeah we are definitely looking for the same end goal. You are also right about the snowball effect which Im really trying to avoid haha. I only ride with my GF so I don't really need all out speed as she is very new to riding and rides slow. Another reason I had initially looked at doing a 143 with the finbro head. The cost difference between the 143 with finbro vs the DHM 186 is not much more and I'll have more torque to haul my heavy ass around haha.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Finbro head is cheap in price, but some people question the quality. If you step up to a DHM head, factor in a cam, then the big bore kit, it’s not that much more just to get the Kitaco Neo 181 kit. The Neo kit comes with the forged crank, rod, piston, cam, cam chain, complete large valve head, and I think even an injector.

This is where I’m at. To me, it might be best to just do the Neo kit.

Edit to add: David at DHM told me his larger valve head wouldn’t benefit me much unless I did a higher compression piston. He said I would mostly only see gains at the highest rpms.

·
Registered
102 Posts
DHM 186 ALL INCLUSIVE BIG BORE KIT

I am considering doing this kit as well.

With that build, if I have the Kitaco clutch cover installed, would I use the DH lines to the base of the head or get different length lines to go to the clutch case?
View attachment 86896 View attachment 86897
My lines go straight to the head like the first photo. But I have my oil cooler mounted to the top valve cover instead as my grow is substance lowered and risk dragging it. The lines included fit as they should to the head anyways. Once my clutch cover get here, I'll be using the block off plate ( not sure that's the right word) on it and just ignoring them.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I've been doing a lot of reading and think I'm leaning heavily to BrawndoGrom's idea of the Kitaco Neo 181 kit.

I know I'm going to need some tools.

Flywheel puller
Crank puller/installer
Case splitter

What else do I need and any recommendations on which brand of the above tools I need?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the Kitaco flywheel puller. I got it at Webike. I think it was about $20. I don’t have the other tools. Maybe someone who has installed a Neo kit can comment on the other items needed.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
124 Posts
Placed an order for the DHM 186 kit, but will use a kitaco oil cooler to go with the kitaco clutch cover I already have in place.

Thanks for this thread. Gave me the inspiration I needed to make a decision.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Placed an order for the DHM 186 kit, but will use a kitaco oil cooler to go with the kitaco clutch cover I already have in place.

Glad it helped you out (y)

Let us know how you like the 186.

·
Registered
102 Posts

You'll love that kit. It pulls very hard up around 6 to 7k

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'd would suggest the Neo too, great kit, complete and very reliable if tuned right.
You do not need the case splitter tool and Kitaco makes a crankshaft assembly tool, I'm sure someone having installed a crank could lend / rent / sell you one. Like mentioned you'll need the flywheel puller and the special clutch / spinner tool, can't remember how it's called...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you need to run a different spark plug with the DHM 186 Kit? A cooler temp plug such as the CPR8E? Stock is 6 or7E I think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One more question.

Any changes required to the Intake and Exhaust valve clearance compared to stock with the TB cam?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts