Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey picked up a 2020 Grom here at ProCaliber in Vancouver, Wa looking to see if there is anyone that can help or install my koso bbk kit. Had planned to do it myself but I think it is a bit over my head. Just need to have someone who knows the Grom. I've been in the MX world all my life so im not new to riding just new to the Grom. Its a whole new can of worms. Anyway just seeing if there are any Grom enthusiasts near by that can point me in the right direction. Thanks all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought everything for the Koso 170 BBK with 4 valve head. I couldn't find anyone so pretty much did it myself. I'm fairly knowledgeable with motors. Been working on gy6 motors a lot so this was pretty much the same. Just concerned me about the grinding of piston rings but I talked to Koso and they said I didn't have to worry about that anymore. I'm into this 2020 Grom about $3500 with all the aftermarket stuff so we are at 8K for a Grom. Hoping everything works right and is reliable. I just got it put together about an hour ago. Haven't fired it up yet. I got the Koso speedometer that I have to figure out. Waiting on the custom mount for the speedo and a Chimera intake and Koso coil. The one thing I do not like about Koso is there vague ass instructions lol. They are very hard to understand. I'm no ASE mechanic but been working on dirt bikes and small engines all my life so I'm fairly competent on engines until I read instructions from Koso lol. I'm nervous about firing it up tomorrow but hey light the fuse and run right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well started up the Grom today. Smoke everywhere pieces flying through the air yelling and screaming me ducking and hitting the floor. Damn wife lol. Bike started right up lot more throaty doesn't want to idle. I'm assuming the Pcv and Wb2 need to learn again. Went for a ride doing the break in and everything got smoother. Love ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Koso speedometer tell your temp and plugged right in no real headaches at all. Unless you start reading Koso's instructions lol. Anyway will put some miles on it and report back. Have a good one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was thinking about going to the 170 BBK because it is supposed to reliable enough for a daily driver. Let me know how it turns out. I have over 19000 miles on the original bore and top end. I just have an intake, exhaust and cam. Not to sure if I want to drop any more money into the grom or just get a bigger bike.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
913 Posts
I was thinking about going to the 170 BBK because it is supposed to reliable enough for a daily driver. Let me know how it turns out. I have over 19000 miles on the original bore and top end. I just have an intake, exhaust and cam. Not to sure if I want to drop any more money into the grom or just get a bigger bike.
If you are interested in refreshing the top end I highly recommend the DHM hi-comp piston. I only have about 1000 miles on mine, but I think @dubSolo said he has over 7000 miles on his DHM piston. The increase in torque, especially down low is well worth the expense.

Reactions: dubSolo

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you are interested in refreshing the top end I highly recommend the DHM hi-comp piston. I only have about 1000 miles on mine, but I think @dubSolo said he has over 7000 miles on his DHM piston. The increase in torque, especially down low is well worth the expense.
One reason I have gone to a bigger bore is the need for a fuel controller and a o2 sensor to be installed on the exhaust and then you need to buy a couple more things in order to have it all work. I would like to be just able to do the upgrade with out needing to buy 15 other things to enjoy it.
Thanks for the input and I will check it out though.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
913 Posts
CJR has a flash tune for the DHM piston, no wideband required. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts