Honda Grom banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
I'm trying to get the Grom into more of a super sport bike position since i'm doing mostly track riding with it now, so the Racebarz might just be when I'm looking for. Thanks for the input, If the Racebarz don't work out for me, I'll look into FatBar clamps.
I'm curious now too about going back to Racebarz, since the bike is much better set up now then when I first tried them out.

Here's a crazy idea - Composimo Monkey RaceBarz...flipped. Lower than the Grom Racebarz.

Yes, there are clearance issues with a stock Grom, but I am replaced my linear damper setup (overkill) for Sato Racing handlebar stoppers. After my lowside, protecting my frame tabs became a priority.

It would be a neat idea to try.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm curious now too about going back to Racebarz, since the bike is much better set up now then when I first tried them out.

Here's a crazy idea - Composimo Monkey RaceBarz...flipped. Lower than the Grom Racebarz.

Yes, there are clearance issues with a stock Grom, but I am replaced my linear damper setup (overkill) for Sato Racing handlebar stoppers. After my lowside, protecting my frame tabs became a priority.

It would be a neat idea to try.

View attachment 86675
Those Sato frame stoppers are interesting. I did see those new Composimo CafebarZ for the Monkey, I know those only work with the Monkey because of the bodywork on the Grom. But the steering stoppers and and CafebarZ might be compatible on the Grom. If bodywork interference wasn't an issue, do you think it's possible to just flip the Racebarz to get them lower or will that interfere with the forks or cluster? I'm pretty sure you would just need a set of slightly longer bolts and the heads would sit proud of the plate since the backside isn't counter sunk. Do the Sato stoppers allow you to use the ignition steering lock?

I don't think the RacebarZ and high and back rearsets are for everyone, but I think it will fit my riding style much better then a set of MX bars. I find myself sitting way more upright on the Grom vs my head down and low on my R6. I'm hoping the change in bar height and location will help me fix this.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Some updates:

Got the new head on, and flushed the case with about 4L of oil along with a few filter changes.
First flush looked like candy red metallic paint...yikes. The magnetic drain plug caught a lot of circulating bits. That first oil filter change too was a pretty epic collection of shrapnel.Took off the stator, clutch basket, oil pump etc to clean and get a better angle to fish a magnet around to collect any stray bits.
4 changes later, and I am a little more confident. Oil looks clean coming out of the case.

Rebuilding the engine took so long that I almost forgot that I had my TB ported, by Riderzblok in San Diego.

Took it for a spin just to verify everything is working. Of course, I hear the worst possible noise imaginable during said test ride, a loud metallic clacking noise on decel that makes you go "oh fuck me, what've I done now". So I spend the next 15 mins trying to figure out what that noise is, and can't for the life of me replicate it when revving the bike at a standstill. Turns out, I have never run the 36T rear sprocket in conjunction with the case saver portion of the front sprocket guard...the chain was slapping said guard. What a relief!

The last issue that cropped up was my MNNBTHX bushings binding when the correct 40ft/lb of torque is applied to the swingarm thru-bolt. I will see if removing the bushings and regreasing solves the issue.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
That noise would have scarred me for life!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
I inspected the MNNTHBX swingarm bushings, and it does look like the LH one siezed. Not too bad, I was able to remove with just hand force.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Bushings re-greased, but now I can't help but think of getting a swingarm with needle bearings and calling it a day. I can only expect so much from a bushing.

Otherwise, I think re-greasing the bushings would be a very frequent task I would do.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Another successful track day in the books. Was fortunate enough to be invited to a private trackday at Apex on Memorial Day. With only 10 of us, we were able to get a lot of seat time in. I used about a tank a half during the day.

Bike performed flawlessly, no issues. Ported TB definitely added some power.

I tried moving the peg position of the Driven rear sets to the higher position due to grinding a lot of toe last time out, and found it unnatural and hard to control. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I quickly changed back to the lower position and focused on BP to prevent dragging hard parts.

Now, I am thinking of what tires to try next. I don't have warmers, so my MC35S are taking a beating, especially my left side (track orientation). I think my front has one more track day left on it, rear a couple more.

Attachments

281 - 291 of 291 Posts