Honda Grom banner

261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
In the nonstop quest to find the perfect bar setup, I found a way to use the G-Craft damper mount with a Fatbar (in my case, risers too)

I used some RAM mount hardware, steel spacers, and half of a traditional Fatbar clamp. The result is satisfactory in my book. Hopefully the added length on the damper post doesnt create too much flex.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Spacer + bolt flexed too much for my taste.

A slightly shorter threaded post did the trick, and was 10mm shorter, even better. everything lined up pretty spot on.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #264

Had some dyno tuning performed by the excellent Riderzblok shop here in San Diego, CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Headlight update, I like how clean it is, plenty bright even for night use.

CBR1000RR master. With the 4 pot Brembo, I feel I have more modulation. Not sure what the technical outcome is actually supposed to be.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Wait... what happen to the Yellow combo,,, just realizing color change. Looking Good btw
Got bored of the yellow...

Plus, it now matches my other "new" to me Honda...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Amazing weather this past weekend called for a ride out to Julian for a slice of pizza and a beer!

Finally dialed in my suspension and the bike has never handled better.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
Looks good! May I ask what suspension changes were made? What tires are you currently using?
Runing Mitas MC35S tires. Expensive but will keep you glued to the road better than the rest. Poor lifespan on the street. Maybe try the MC34 next? Using a 100/120 combo, the bike dances from side to side.

I set out this weekend with the goal of making the bike a bit more confident being thrown into higher speed corners, especially after hard trail braking.

Most of the difference was made primarily dialing in the fork...playing around with firming up the compression a click or two and seeing how it affected the ride. The rebound side of the fork is maxed out all the way IN, with plenty of compression damping overhead left. This means that for my use, the Wt of fork oil specified was too thin.

Adding a bit of compression in the rear helped with the exits, it was squatting a hair under hard gas and would run slightly wide.

I've now learned many times over taking the time to focus on your suspension is the best way to make the bike go faster, safer. Especially if you are drastically under of over the target rider weight for a bike (160lbs)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
First track day was a success. Headed out to Apex Kart track in Lake Perris.

Never had ridden anywhere besides the street before, but settled in pretty quickly.
Some seriously fast kid on an Ohvale was out there lapping us like no tomorrow.

First sign of trouble was grinding off my shifter toe peg by the end of the first session...
Suspension was performing bang on, no complaints all day.

Bike performed well, low-sided once after getting too confident.

Koso 4V broke a rocker arm the day before the track day, and I found replacements to use. Unfortunately, I think they went out of adjustment mid day as the bike started losing power past certain RPMs, and then kept losing more power as day went on.

Absolutely cannot wait to go back.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Oopsie...that rattling noise I heard mid session was the retention plate for the rocker arm pins coming loose. Amazingly, it wedged itself in the cam chain passage and the engine never lost timing...despite the pins backing out INTO the cam sprocket. Ho-lee-fuck.

That's what I get for not double checking my work when replacing the rocker arms the day before...nothing good ever comes from rushing your work to get the bike ready.

Time to find a new head...YIKES!

261 - 274 of 274 Posts