Honda Grom banner

221 - 240 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Yeah Nectar! That's awesome!

Question, why the Takegawa 5 speed over the Kitaco?
The Kitaco set needs additional pieces installed for the speed sensors I believe. Also, GF and MSX both use the Takegawa set in their high-hp builds.

you're right. It's all the pics of the Kitaco crank post assembly that confused me...

Perfect, BikeBandit was able to cancel my multiple orders so I can consolidate. I'll be ready to do the 5 speed PROPER!

·
Registered
609 Posts
the woodruff key on the left side for flywheel is pressed fit on a taper when flywheel is install and should definitely be replaced. The woodruff key on right side is not a pressed fit and should be fine but for few dollars doesn't hurt to be replaced if you wanted to.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Parts N68 and N69. Might also want to stock 1x N64. It's so small it's easily lost if it falls on the ground. And yes I found mine back... lol
Yes the little 3x5mm dowel pin N64 is TINY and its under the oil pump drive gear, watch out for that little guy.

·
Registered
609 Posts
While we're at it, these springs and detents can pop out so here is a heads up as to where these parts go when you see them laying on your workbench...

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-honda-grom-125/o/m155498#sch795632

parts 14 and 15 change switch contact cap and spring

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-honda-grom-125/o/m155498#sch795613

parts 4 and 5 bearing push plug and spring

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
This is all great information everyone, I appreciate the insight. Re-reading the transmission install instructions is helping to make sense of it all.

I've gone ahead and gotten spares of everything that was suggested. Would suck to drop a small piece and have that be the rate limiting step. Now, we wait for parts!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mototote came in earlier this week. I'm glad I spent the extra money on a "reputable" hitch carrier. It feels solid and I'd be confident hauling my Grom with it.

Looks like that setup is ready for the 2019 Crawl!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #227

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Got the cases split over the course of a few days. Thanks to member advice, I was able to remove the crank and install the forged Kitaco unit without too much hassle. I ended up using a press to remove and install the new crank, which I am sure reduced the effort required greatly.

Stock internals when I first split the case.

Old crank and bearing pressed out.

New Kitaco unit installed.

On to the 5 speed tomorrow!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Looking good, stay at it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Atta boy! You got it going on now! :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)

Woodcraft extra long clip ons, 1" longer than standard. I'm pretty excited to try these. An extra inch is a lot, I was surprised. Bonus - it makes the cable angles less extreme.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Hard to tell without the covers but it does look insanely wide! :tennis:

How is the case splitting going?
Check page 23, I got the cases split, old crank pressed out, and new crank pressed in! Old transmission is out, I've got a good grasp at how it all goes together and what exactly the service manual is referencing sometimes with the spline washers and such. It can be kind of abstract just reading about it without actually laying eyes on the physical piece.

Takegawa 5 speed is in, really nice piece as well.

Tomorrow is Thankgiving day here in the US, so I'll be busy stuffing my face with oysters, various meats and beer, lol.

My OEM parts order gets in Friday, which means I'll be replacing the oil seals, woodruff keys, and the bushings and washer for the transmission for cheap peace of mind. If all goes well, the engine will be back together by weeks end!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Check page 23, I got the cases split, old crank pressed out, and new crank pressed in! Old transmission is out, I've got a good grasp at how it all goes together and what exactly the service manual is referencing sometimes with the spline washers and such. It can be kind of abstract just reading about it without actually laying eyes on the physical piece.

Takegawa 5 speed is in, really nice piece as well.
I saw, was curious if you had finished it. Looking at the pics I remember a small issue with the 5 speeder, part 21, a thrust washer between C3 and C4 was packed separately.
Mister Takegawa confirmed it was not a spare part and had to be installed. I guess it was a bad batch and it is installed at the factory now, but thought I'd share, you never know.

Tomorrow is Thankgiving day here in the US, so I'll be busy stuffing my face with oysters, various meats and beer, lol.
Sounds good, bon appétit! :encouragement:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
Interesting, I will definitely check that part 21 and confirm its installed. Much appreciated.

Looking at the diagram - what a bizarre piece to leave off the assembly and leave it up to the user to install.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If it's not packed separately I'm pretty sure it's installed. Mine came sealed with (I think, it's over a year ago...) washers 20 and 22.It's just what you say, makes no sense not to install it at the factory, I'm glad I was curious about it! Guess it was just a bad batch (Mister Takegawa did ask for serial number on the box), as it's not mentioned in the instructions either. At least it did come with the rest of the box.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Just confirmed the washer was installed from the factory.

Somehow my OEM parts arrived today, even thought they didn't land at my local post office until 10am, way past the usual departure window for the truck for the day. USPS must be trying to get ahead of the holiday backlog!

Engine goes back together tomorrow this means! Soaking the new transmission in oil overnight just to get everything nice and slippery.

@Djezspin - good call on the replacement oil seals, the shift shaft one was looking a little rough actually.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just confirmed the washer was installed from the factory.

Somehow my OEM parts arrived today, even thought they didn't land at my local post office until 10am, way past the usual departure window for the truck for the day. USPS must be trying to get ahead of the holiday backlog!

Engine goes back together tomorrow this means! Soaking the new transmission in oil overnight just to get everything nice and slippery.

@Djezspin - good call on the replacement oil seals, the shift shaft one was looking a little rough actually.
:encouragement:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #239 (Edited)
My back hurts from working hunched over most of yesterday! Hope everyone in the states enjoyed Thanksgiving with their families.

Got the cases back together, only after having to split it twice again after re-sealing it. Once because I dropped a dowel pin for the shift drum back into the tranny (sigh), and the other time because I didn't install the shift drum per the pic Takegawa manual and I had enough beers to be extra paranoid.

Also, the HR shift brace supplies two new longer case screws. When I went to reassemble the case for the first time, i only had 9 / 11 of the case bolts. Pored over my spare parts bag, and was AMAZED yo see that somehow I had had two extra 6x60 screws! Wow I thought, what luck! When I wen to to reinstall the shift support, I had a good laugh realizing what happened. I spent an hour looking for those two screws.

Also, I somehow ended up using the dowel pin for the stator side for the clutch side. Both dowel pins are damn near identical in dimensions. Not worried about that at all, both dowel pins aren't going anywhere once they're in haha.
Piston rings got clocked and gapped, uneventful install of new piston. Timing set, valve clearances checked, it time for final assembly!

Hopefully another 3-4 hours of work and she'll be back together.

Since its Black Friday - who's all doing a sale on that "one more thing"?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
All buttoned up! Test ride went awesome, the close ratios of the 5 speed was what I was hoping for and more! The Mitas tires feel great as well, definitely going to have to get used to the narrow profile.

221 - 240 of 275 Posts