Honda Grom banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Larger head or more aggressive cam?

Why not both?

I PM'ed obijaunito about the Kitaco type 2 cam. He says it pulls from 6-10k.... Thought I'd pass that on.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Larger head or more aggressive cam?

Why not both?

I PM'ed obijaunito about the Kitaco type 2 cam. He says it pulls from 6-10k.... Thought I'd pass that on.

Oh if i went with a bigger head i would at least stick with my kitaco type 1 cam, no way id go back to the stock cam. Just dont feel like tearing apart the motor to replace the head as head gasket is hard to source.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It gets up to speed much faster than the stock grom thats for sure. Tops out around 67mph. I currently run a 16/37 gearing (i was running a 15/37 which is just slightly lower than your standard mod of dropping one tooth in the front for 14/34). I am tempted to put my 34t rear on with the 16t front and see what i GPS out at as it seems it likes to pull real good a little lower in the RPMS, But i dont want to go too tall to kill any off road performance.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As an update. almost 1k miles in with my bbk. Did a decent tear down / oil change / spinner cleaning / screen cleaning to get a pulse on everything. Oil came out clean as far as particulates, no rubber pieces, no metalic pieces. Spinner and screen were clean as well. This was after ~ 500 miles on the oil with LOTS of HARD riding off road which really heated the motor up.

Cam chain tensioner was replaced with a finbro unit, i switched to a kitaco type 2 cam to allow the motor to breathe a little better in the upper rpms and when i did this i moved a stock decomp mechanism over to the new cam.

Overall, all is good, the thing still keeps on ticking and running like a top, and even better now with the new tensioner arm (original with ~ 5200 miles on it didnt look bad).

IMG_20161210_181156687 (Custom).jpg IMG_20161210_181216298 (Custom).jpg IMG_20161210_181134699 (Custom).jpg IMG_20161210_181112556_HDR (Custom).jpg IMG_20161207_175004907_HDR (Custom).jpg

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How did you mount your oil cooler? Looks like maybe from those 2 upper bolts where the airbox used to be?
Two piece of 3/4 or 1in wide x 1/8in pieces of mild steel.

They are in an L shape and the oil cooler sits on top of short side of the L. The long side goes up and attaches at one point to the cross bar between the fairings, then its main mounting point up under the tank where the stock airbox used to connect to. There is a 90* twist in the top 4 inches of the long side of the L so it can properly sit flat against the frame.

I was looking at all different ways to mount it, and i realized that i had to come down from the frame. I hate the idea of a tappet cover mounted cooler as it just seems like extra non needed vibration transferred to the oil cooler.

If you want i can get some more pictures up close.

·
Registered
37 Posts
love the build!

little by little all amazing

im about to order my type 2 cam, any place youd recommend?

have the finbro ecu and pcx150 injector with koso air filter

·
Registered
866 Posts
ND4,

Thanks or referring me to this build thread. Your bike looks awesome, and you are doing exactly the same type of riding which I am also targeting.

Question about your current air-filter set-up: If I understand correctly, you have removed the stock air-box and are using a Chimera intake with a "pod-type" air-filter element? I inquire as to how this has been working out for you, especially off-road? From what I can see, most off-roaders tend to shy away from pod type air filters, opting instead for a traditional-style filter in a box. I a wondering if a pod filter lets more dirt/dust down the intake?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
ND4,

Thanks or referring me to this build thread. Your bike looks awesome, and you are doing exactly the same type of riding which I am also targeting.

Question about your current air-filter set-up: If I understand correctly, you have removed the stock air-box and are using a Chimera intake with a "pod-type" air-filter element? I inquire as to how this has been working out for you, especially off-road? From what I can see, most off-roaders tend to shy away from pod type air filters, opting instead for a traditional-style filter in a box. I a wondering if a pod filter lets more dirt/dust down the intake?
The Chimera intake freed up alot of space above the motor so i could mount my oil cooler.

The original KnN pod filter was junk as most KnN products are, it was super thin gauze filter that doesnt do shit for actually filtering air... honestly dont know why anyone runs them.

The UNI pod filter i have on there is a dual stage foam element filter, same filter material found on quality dirtbike air filters that see the harshest of environments.... It 100% for sure filters as good as the OEM setup if not better, and flows great as well.

About the ONLY the thing stock airbox has on the setup i got is being out of the rain, but that stated, it would have to be an absolute downpour to have any effect on my pod filter chimera setup as the pod filter is so big that it would be hard for water to intrude down the intake before it drips off. Been out in the rain and mud, splashing through puddles etc with my setup and never had an issue, the filter itself is tucked behind the headlight n forks so direct oncomming rain n water doesnt really reach it, and its so far up that splashing from the street also does not reach it.

2k miles on that intake setup and never an issue, intake tract is spotless from any dust residue (which was not the case running a KnN pod filter)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Good to know, and I really appreciate the in-depth details you have provided. One possible candidate I encountered -- should I opt for a Chimera intake -- is the Sprint (brand) of PTFE (Teflon) treated pod-type filter. Apparently, they are pretty much waterproof, although I confess that I have no direct experience with the product at this time.....still doing planning and research. But I agree with you that it would need to be a heck of a downpour to effect the intake.....and then I probably would not be riding. Dirt, dust, sand, and other particulate matter are my far greater concerns -- filter-wise.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did the rings come pre gapped?

Sorry im just now getting to ya. Honestly to answer your question. NO IDEA..... i slapped things together and forgot to check the ring gap *oops* ... I got like 1.5 - 2k miles on the bbk, and havnet had an issue and i ride her decently hard, so things cant be too far off haha.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Chimera intake freed up alot of space above the motor so i could mount my oil cooler.

The original KnN pod filter was junk as most KnN products are, it was super thin gauze filter that doesnt do shit for actually filtering air... honestly dont know why anyone runs them.

The UNI pod filter i have on there is a dual stage foam element filter, same filter material found on quality dirtbike air filters that see the harshest of environments.... It 100% for sure filters as good as the OEM setup if not better, and flows great as well.
ND4,
I realize this is an older part of the discussion, and you may not have a fresh memory as to the comparison of your current air intake vs. the stock air-box, but.....do you recall if the Chimera + UNI filter element SOUNDED a lot different than the stock air-box? I ask this because I recently installed a Dinger-Built short ram intake in conjunction with the (included) K&N pod-type filter --> I am finding the noise level resulting from this set-up to be quite annoying. I was -- frankly -- quite surprised as to just how much louder this one change (removal of stock air-box and replacement with a tube-type intake and pod filter) made the bike......gonna need earplugs if I keep riding using this set-up. I am wondering if the Chimera + UNI might be any different?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ND4,
I realize this is an older part of the discussion, and you may not have a fresh memory as to the comparison of your current air intake vs. the stock air-box, but.....do you recall if the Chimera + UNI filter element SOUNDED a lot different than the stock air-box? I ask this because I recently installed a Dinger-Built short ram intake in conjunction with the (included) K&N pod-type filter --> I am finding the noise level resulting from this set-up to be quite annoying. I was -- frankly -- quite surprised as to just how much louder this one change (removal of stock air-box and replacement with a tube-type intake and pod filter) made the bike......gonna need earplugs if I keep riding using this set-up. I am wondering if the Chimera + UNI might be any different?
I never ran my grom with the stock air box. The previous owner had put the chimera on with the included K&N. I ran it like that for awhile then switched to the UNI pod filter on the chimera intake. Just thw switch to the uni pod filter reduced the intake noise quite a bit, its still there but its tolerable now, the K&N it was overly loud like you are experiencing. So my recommendation is to try and size a uni pod filter that will fit your current intake and it will probably reduce the noise by a bit as the foam pod filter acts like a noise insulator.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts