Honda Grom banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually tapped mine on the bike as it holds the pressure plate very well (had to take it off to clean the tapping flakes) You gotta be slow and methodic with a tap. 1/4 turn of cutting, back off a full turn. fully pulled the tap out of the holes probably 4x per hole to clean the tap and re lube with some oil.
If i had something to keep the clutch from spinning it probably would have been fine. Oh well, a new one was only $17 so not too bad of a mistake.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If i had something to keep the clutch from spinning it probably would have been fine. Oh well, a new one was only $17 so not too bad of a mistake.

I forget what side the pressure plate was on. But you can either pop a quarter in the primary gear to hold things from spinning, or put the trans in gear (4th) and use the rear break

·
Registered
394 Posts
Placed my order for the clutch plate and 6 finbro springs today. Left a note asking for the 6 hole version, they sent me back an email saying that the 6 hole ones are on back order... still waiting for a reply on timeframe.

Good thing it's winter... and riding is temporarily on hold.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Placed my order for the clutch plate and 6 finbro springs today. Left a note asking for the 6 hole version, they sent me back an email saying that the 6 hole ones are on back order... still waiting for a reply on timeframe.

Good thing it's winter... and riding is temporarily on hold.

I feel bad for you guys and winter..... I was out on "The Snake" on my grom xmas day, then on the big bike (honda 919) a few days later in beautiful 75* weather

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just got an email back, West Coast Raceworks is who makes the 6 hole version, they do not know when they are making more. So I'm just going to take the 3 hole version and put it on a drill press and make it a 6 hole.

The sic shop is always good to deal with. They had the best price on this and the customer service was great.

This was the weather last week...

·
Registered
394 Posts
those temperatures are missing digits. FML THATS COOOLLLLLD!
We were in single digits for a few days, overnight negative temperatures. It's rough.

Anyways, I took my Grom apart today, to tap the other 3 holes. I found that after fully tapping them (normal tap not a bottom tap) and I am going to need slightly shorter bolts. Only 3-4 mm difference, haven't measured exactly. They all stopped at the same spot.

They did tap very easily on the bike. Held the brake and left it in gear, worked fine. The clutch plate and springs shipped out today. Quick date with the drill press and we'll be all set.

Every time I look at the oil spinner, I remember that I really need a Kitaco cover...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got an email back, West Coast Raceworks is who makes the 6 hole version, they do not know when they are making more. So I'm just going to take the 3 hole version and put it on a drill press and make it a 6 hole.

I'm going to do this as well, seems simple enough.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We were in single digits for a few days, overnight negative temperatures. It's rough.

Anyways, I took my Grom apart today, to tap the other 3 holes. I found that after fully tapping them (normal tap not a bottom tap) and I am going to need slightly shorter bolts. Only 3-4 mm difference, haven't measured exactly. They all stopped at the same spot.

They did tap very easily on the bike. Held the brake and left it in gear, worked fine. The clutch plate and springs shipped out today. Quick date with the drill press and we'll be all set.

Every time I look at the oil spinner, I remember that I really need a Kitaco cover...

I tapped all the way through the holes without issue. And grabbed a metric bolt the same length as the stockers n didnt have an issue.

As far as the kitaco cover, just take the stock spinner to a buddy and have him turn it down for a 6 pack of beer. I had a buddy owe me a favor and he has a lathe at his place. 10 min later and 1.2Lbs off the outer part of the spinner! cost = free

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, it is easy to cut the oil spinner reducing the mass. The chips do carry quite a bit of heat with a decent cut.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well FYI to everyone the 3 hole plate from the sic shop won't work without getting it machined as the lips are too concaved for the bolts to go in straight and they won't sit flat.

I ordered the chimera plate, which is supposed to come with 6 holes already in it so we shall see.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well FYI to everyone the 3 hole plate from the sic shop won't work without getting it machined as the lips are too concaved for the bolts to go in straight and they won't sit flat.

I ordered the chimera plate, which is supposed to come with 6 holes already in it so we shall see.
Yep... that is what mine looked like when it showed up... oh well.

Lesson learned for everyone else.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you have billet 3 hole plate you'll be just fine.
I understand why ND is doing it if he has a 6 hole plate to start with, it's nice, I'm convinced it is bulletproof and probably the best solution, I'm just not sure you NEED 6 holes AND billet.
My stock 3 hole plate has been doing fine on my 4 valve setup with Kitaco springs.

The Takegawa slipper cluth plate is cast but has 6 holes to begin with and is relatively cheap at 30-35$.
Part number 22361-K26-T01

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have billet 3 hole plate you'll be just fine.
I understand why ND is doing it if he has a 6 hole plate to start with, it's nice, I'm convinced it is bulletproof and probably the best solution, I'm just not sure you NEED 6 holes AND billet.
My stock 3 hole plate has been doing fine on my 4 valve setup with Kitaco springs.

The Takegawa slipper cluth plate is cast but has 6 holes to begin with and is relatively cheap at 30-35$.
Part number 22361-K26-T01
I'm sure it's fine the way it is. Just one of those things If I'm putting a billet cover in might as well do it. It's too cold and snowy to ride here anyway so I don't mind waiting.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts