Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep getting a nagging '7' code. not 7-1 or 7-2 or anything.. when cold it flashes a '7' (7 times then a 2-3 second pause then 7 times again.. and just repeats). i can cut it off after a few minutes, restart it and it goes away. ive cleared the code....even replaced the ecu, replaced the temp sensor but then, on occasion.. the bike will just arbitrarily throw the code it it gets really ripped on.. but runs fine otherwise. anyone seen this before?

pcv wb2 cam 164 kitaco etc. very strange it comes and goes. I even have the iac plugged in although its inoperative due to the 26mm tb. just bolted on there. does it whether its pugged in or not (has no effect).

·
Registered
592 Posts
What battery are you using? check the volts, may be just little low. I had that code '7' once and code '9' turned out it was cause our crap battery. Not enough load, prob cause our performance cams.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
still the stocker. now thats interesting I'll def check it today..

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still getting it. had battery on charger voltage was over 13.2. cleared the code per instructions, had flashing confirmation after that procedure. then it came RIGHT back. motor was warm when i shot this quick vid. WTF is this?

check the video.

it goes solid over a certian rpm. I have no idea how to really address this.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
beats me especially since it just comes back even at low idle. very strange indeed. im lost. its def seeing the temp sensor, as i can unplug that and get basically the same code. its almost like its not seeing it when the code flashes. like it loses connectivity. I have cheked it and the connector is fine from what i have seen.

I started having this issue when the yuminashi ecu took a dump. Upon checking the resistance across the original temp sensor it was very very high resistance opposed to the new one from honda. So bad it threw the bike into limp mode. unplugging the sensor it went away... when i put the new temps sensor it it went away (also installed the pcv, wb2 and the oem ecu) I reset the ecu and cleared all the codes. Like said, runs fantastic otherwise but some cold start issues like symptomatic of a bad temp sensor. Replaced ECU with a non us spec one and still there. so, everything that can be changed has been except the wiring harness and it still does it. what the hell could be causing this?
i even thought maybe the pcv had something to do with it but i cant see how.should i fool it into seeing a temp sensor on the motor?

also the battery seems fine. the test i did up top had the charger ON. it sdef not low voltage from what i have seen.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, Connect battery back up again after 10 minutes. Check to make sure all sensors are plug into the wire harness and check for any broken wires on the connectors to the sensors "temp sensor, airbox sensor, 02 sensor,throttle body sensor. Do the ECU reset. Good luck

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i did just that.. disconnected battery completely for a few hours yesterday as i ran some errands. i checked the wires and it appears that they are fine. there's approx 5V at the yellow sensor temp wire and the green one seems to have almost 0 resistance to gnd. the sensor seems to be working as i pulled it out of the bike and heated the tip up and the resistance dropped to almost 0 after a few seconds with some heat. (lighter).

I moved the wires around to check for a break, etc.. all seemed ok.

fired bike back up and with the spare sensor plugged IN but no mounted it seemed ok. as soon as i grounded it th eecu light went on, so that that was odd. that spare is suspected to be bad anyway. So i reconnected to the new sensorand the light eventually came back on again after a code clear.. got pissed left and went to dinner.

came back after discussing it w my wife and decided to look intot he pcv settings. for shits and giggles i set the temp input to accept the harley input. and the light stays off. Im not sure if its going to stay that way but i havent been able to trip it yet.

regarding the Thai ecu.. its my understanding those groms didn't have the iac valve. it really doesn't matter but that's what i understood. also, i want sure what kind of condition my stock ecu was in so i bought a non us spare. seems to be ok at this point. certainly starts easier.

batt voltage and alt output seems to be fine too.

I am making the assumption that the code '7' was temp sensor related.. like maybe it wasn't seeing a signal at all.

regarding the sv unit: i had a 99 from new and disabled the 2nd gear retard with the 2 wires and it most certainly did feel different from the shift from 1-2. I also had it jetted with a renegade exhaust. was it leaps and bound better? no but it was better and noticeable. had that bike over 11 years, still miss it but the Ducati makes up for it. I do know it had to do with the noise test though. i wasn't sure on non us models if that was worldwide or not. I can however say that the grom Thai market ecu def carries a different part number from the us one and the motor sounds different (better, crisper). what the exact diffs are i'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting for sure. well the connection is ok.. just got back from a fairly spirited ride and it didnt throw the code. the only thing i can think was the setting on the power commander not allowing the passing of the signal through to the stock ecm. talked to a buddy of mine who's a DJ distributor and knows some of the tech guys, he thinks its strong possibility and will verify tomorrow. either way, its fixed.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
beats me what the setting is supposed to be from the factory. However.. i have done a few rides and lo and behold still havent thrown the code. the setting i changed was the temp input. i activated it, then set to 'harley temp input' and the trouble code '7' went away not to return. Im *literally* on the phone with dynojet right now about this. and i quote' we dont quite understand how but anythings possible'. regardless, if anybody else winds up with a '7' code..... try that. seems to work.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I literally just got a code "7" after I installed a OPMID meter. It's all squared away now, but def will be trying that. Thanx

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
funny mine just showe dup in the mail yesterday (the temp gauge... I havent installed that yet). i would prefer to use the voltage setting on the power commander. I however am not sure what the voltage relation vs temp is. does anybody have that information?

·
Registered
1 Posts
still getting it. had battery on charger voltage was over 13.2. cleared the code per instructions, had flashing confirmation after that procedure. then it came RIGHT back. motor was warm when i shot this quick vid. WTF is this?

check the video.

it goes solid over a certian rpm. I have no idea how to really address this.
My cbr250r is doing that same thing have you found out what it is or no

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
man that was a long time ago. :ROFLMAO: i think that was the oil temp sensor failure with the pcv. setting as i described above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts