Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up HG'rs

I'm Gary, and just two weeks ago 2/15/2020, I had no interest of ever becoming a motorcycle rider. With all the biking incidents I had in the past, I vowed not to ride a bike. Well I lied.

I seen a Honda Grom on the streets and said whoa, nice bike. Researched it, and its was surprising how affordable it was.

One thing led to another. I started binge watching YT vids, researched mods, checked classified ads for deals on a used one. You know, the natural cycle of cycles.

One week later 2/22/2020, keep in mind the timeline, I acquired a rider's permit. And this weekend or maybe on the 1st of March, I will be financing a new grom from HB Honda Motorsport in Orange County, CA.

Now here's my dilemma. There's a 2019 ABS model that is $500 less than the 2020 model. Its red, which I don't prefer, but I dont mind. Now I have mixed feelings for the ABS from what I read online.

Is it simple to remove the ABS System or is it really good to have?

When modify wheels, suspension, etc., does the ABS interfere with anything?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Looking forward to meeting the family here.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I cannot speak on removing the ABS, but I seriously doubt that it would be easy, since the ABS is so entrenched into the ECU.

Personally, I feel that the more experiance you have on motorcycles, the less one would want ABS. Especially on this small of a machine. There are times when one wants to lock up a brake, yanno.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ABS on the Grom is only on the front wheel, so you can still lock up the rear and have fun. You can also pull the ABS fuse to bypass the ABS system (I need to test this on mine, but other bikes let you do this). ABS is helpful on the street no matter the skill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ABS on the Grom is only on the front wheel, so you can still lock up the rear and have fun. You can also pull the ABS fuse to bypass the ABS system (I need to test this on mine, but other bikes let you do this). ABS is helpful on the street no matter the skill.
I see. How do you unlock a locked front brake? Sorry, I'm really noob.

·
Registered
115 Posts
After you pick up the bike off the ground, it should be unlocked. Hahaha. Just kidding. When you squeeze the front brake too much, the front brake will lock up the front wheel. If you let off the front brake lever just a bit (or completely), then the front wheel should unlock. ABS will pulse the front brake if you pull the lever too much and will prevent the front wheel from locking up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After you pick up the bike off the ground, it should be unlocked. Hahaha. Just kidding. When you squeeze the front brake too much, the front brake will lock up the front wheel. If you let off the front brake lever just a bit (or completely), then the front wheel should unlock. ABS will pulse the front brake if you pull the lever too much and will prevent the front wheel from locking up.
I ended up going with a NON-ABS model. So after it locks, just release the front brake lever? Is that right? Is the grom capable of flipping if front break is applied too hard?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I ended up going with a NON-ABS model. So after it locks, just release the front brake lever? Is that right? Is the grom capable of flipping if front break is applied too hard?
If you lock the front tire, you will almost certainly fall. Practice in a parking lot under different road conditions and slowly probe the braking limits.

You can avoid locking up the front wheel by being gentle and gradual in your brake application.

My Grom does not have ABS either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You could go over the bars if the rear wheel comes up high enough and you don't ease up on the brake in time. I've done it on a dirt bike going down a steep hill. Or locking it up on some wet leaves or a diesel spill or something would be bad too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
:cool: Welcome to the site and congrats on the new Grom,I also have NO abs and love it,the bike saftey class is a great idea, The brakes work like more lever pull = more brake power, you can stop very fast in good conditions with no problem using both brakes, the class will teach you lots of good info that all riders should use,most of test all out in parking lots till you feel good about handling the bike and of course have fun,,(y) Where bouts are you located ? I need more buds to ride with...:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you lock the front tire, you will almost certainly fall. Practice in a parking lot under different road conditions and slowly probe the braking limits.

You can avoid locking up the front wheel by being gentle and gradual in your brake application.
I appreciate the advice very much. I will study these videos, and not just that, but with experience. I just brought my grom home!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on your new Grom, Gary. Not at all intended as a put-down, but you may want to consider enrolling in a motorcycle safety course. I recently attended one with a friend and learned a lot.

Wishing you a million miles of safe and enjoyable riding!

California Motorcyclist Safety Program
www.ocmt.org
No worries and I appreciate you kind heart. I will be taking the course soon and gain more experience. Thanks Doug!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:cool: Welcome to the site and congrats on the new Grom,I also have NO abs and love it,the bike saftey class is a great idea, The brakes work like more lever pull = more brake power, you can stop very fast in good conditions with no problem using both brakes, the class will teach you lots of good info that all riders should use,most of test all out in parking lots till you feel good about handling the bike and of course have fun,,(y) Where bouts are you located ? I need more buds to ride with...:D
I'm in Long Beach or Huntington Beach. Thanks for the advice. Yea, I need some road pals to ride with. Are you in socal?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts