Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 6 segments to the fuel gauge. According to the owners manual the last segment which flashes when lit is worth .383 gallon. Since the tank holds 1.45 gallons that means each of the other five segments is worth 1.45-.383 = 1.07/5 = .21 gallon.

I have apparently used one segment to go 34 miles. 34/.21 = 164 miles per gallon.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Gas gauge isn't that technical/accurate. Wait till tank is empty, divide mileage by gallons. Most accurate way

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought as much....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There are 6 segments to the fuel gauge. According to the owners manual the last segment which flashes when lit is worth .383 gallon. Since the tank holds 1.45 gallons that means each of the other five segments is worth 1.45-.383 = 1.07/5 = .21 gallon.

I have apparently used one segment to go 34 miles. 34/.21 = 164 miles per gallon.

Am I wrong?
i tried to break down the math too, but gave up. as long as i get a 104 miles by the time it starts flashing, i'm good. my low was 100 miles. not sure what happened with that tank but i think i bought premium that tank!

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's because premium has less energy content. The extra octane means it burns slower, which means detonation is less likely. If you don't need the additional octane, you're just wasting fuel, because odds are it isn't burning 100% before getting spit out of the cylinder.

FWIW, here at altitude I can't tell a difference in mileage or performance regardless of which fuel it has. I'm buying premium because I feel like an idiot buying less than $3 in gas.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm buying premium because I feel like an idiot buying less than $3 in gas.
Funny I felt like an idiot paying $83 for gas to drive the pickup I rented 550 miles round trip to get my Grom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The most I saw was 107 on my second tank. Just had my first service and she is 12 days old.

Sent from my SGS3 using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
223 Posts
FWIW, here at altitude I can't tell a difference in mileage or performance regardless of which fuel it has. I'm buying premium because I feel like an idiot buying less than $3 in gas.
The gas pump card reader was busted at the no-ethanol station I stopped at tonight. I walked in with my helmet in hand and told the clerk I wanted $3 on pump 7. It was actually a conversation starter. I didn't feel like an idiot at all, and I got to talk about my bike. With everyone budget conscious these days, I think getting to travel 100 miles on $3 sounds pretty good to most people.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First tank yielded 116+ MPG.

Second tank yielded 125+ MPG.

Third tank yielded 122+ MPG. < I overfilled and some gas was escaping from the overflow tube and was NOT accounted for. Which means it was likely better than calculated.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Went to 123.5 miles on the first trip. Filled up for the first time and got 127.85mpg. Was on the last bar but not blinking yet. Put .966 gallons, so there was still almost half gallon in there. Funny to give $4 to the register and still have to go back for change :) filled up with 87oct for the next run.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The best way to calculate is fill the tank all the way up,reset the trip, run it down to nothing, fill it back up to the same level and take the trip number of miles and then divide it by how much gas you put in the tank.

I havent really been keeping track of mine but I know im getting a good bit less MPG than some of you guys haha.

I literally am pinned WOT everywhere I ride it and have a 13 tooth gear in her now so the RPM's are 8500+ always

1 - 20 of 52 Posts