Honda Grom banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
3 weeks? Good grief. Well, I hope you get the swingarm soon.

I appreciate my Ohlins fork more and more every time I ride. You are going to be happy with it. Everyone else is correct, it really improves the bike. I now realize just how bad the stock fork is.

Reactions: Pard

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I learned from your experience with the Ohlins. I was also sold the wrong oil, but ordered the correct oil after you pointed it out. I also wrapped painters tape under the tool to prevent the scratches I think you and others had complained about. Looking forward to getting it back on the road and racking up some more miles!

·
Registered
564 Posts
It sounds like you did a really good job. I can’t believe how well a Grom can handle with good suspension and tires.

I’m in love with those Kenda KD1 Kwick tires. I will definitely be buying another set. They are confidence inspiring. I don’t really care how long they last. The safety and cornering performance you gain from the additional traction is worth it in my opinion.

My buddy just ordered a high compression piston like yours for his bone stock Grom. We will install it this winter sometime. He also ordered an exhaust and intake too. He will be running the TB cam and DHM reflash. I can’t wait to ride it and see how much of a difference the piston makes.

We previously installed a 14 tooth sprocket as the first mod. It made a big difference. My bike is still blowing his away though. When that Yoshimura ST-2M cam gets into the upper revs, it really walks away. He is tired of getting dropped, so he is ordering parts. It’s a deep rabbit hole from here.

You are right about re-gearing the Grom. Feels like the bike should have come with that gearing from the factory. At least for the North American market anyway.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Lord knows she ain't no trailer queen, but she cleans up decent when you wipe the bugs off.
20201231_143025.jpg

20201231_143058.jpg

20201231_143530.jpg
20201231_143154.jpg

She is finally safe to ride again. New Ohlins fork internals, Brembo's with core moto braided lines, Gold Enkei's, and G-craft swingarm. I am unsure what had the biggest impact but it feels so much more agile in the corners. Of course it has been a month since I rode it, and I put about 1500 miles on the big bike since then. So my perception may be off.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks, I love it.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
388 Posts
Lord knows she ain't no trailer queen, but she cleans up decent when you wipe the bugs off.
View attachment 89093
View attachment 89094

View attachment 89095 View attachment 89097
She is finally safe to ride again. New Ohlins fork internals, Brembo's with core moto braided lines, Gold Enkei's, and G-craft swingarm. I am unsure what had the biggest impact but it feels so much more agile in the corners. Of course it has been a month since I rode it, and I put about 1500 miles on the big bike since then. So my perception may be off.
Who makes those bars?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The Ruck shop

Reactions: Chillis

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I wonder if Honda changed the fork oil in 2020? Swapped springs in my buddies 2019 Grom and his fork oil was VERY black. Mine was red colored. He has slightly less miles than me as well. I forgot to get a picture before dumping it in the oil drain bucket, but here is some of what drained out of the fork leg overnight.
20210105_122626.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
388 Posts
I wonder if Honda changed the fork oil in 2020? Swapped springs in my buddies 2019 Grom and his fork oil was VERY black. Mine was red colored. He has slightly less miles than me as well. I forgot to get a picture before dumping it in the oil drain bucket, but here is some of what drained out of the fork leg overnight.
View attachment 89129
The stuff in my '20 Monkey was red.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The bike looks great. Love the gold wheels.

After looking closely, I realized that is a G-Craft Asia swingarm. I thought it looked different than mine. I’m not sure why G-Craft has two different product lines. They are made a little bit differently.

Reactions: Ninelives17

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yes they are, classic case of not getting what I thought I ordered. Slightly disappointed, but I'm keeping it until it breaks.......

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes they are, classic case of not getting what I thought I ordered. Slightly disappointed, but I'm keeping it until it breaks.......
I wonder how long that will take? I mean, you do live in the swingarm breakage capital of the world...studies have shown. The earth’s gravity is stronger in southern Alabama, exerting additional stress on swingarms. A steady diet that includes Brawndo allows Groms to develop strong bones, easily resisting this additional stress. Dr. Lexus has performed extensive research proving this. There is also anecdotal evidence showing that Brawndo can add up to 1/10 horsepower.

Reactions: Tonitxu
61 - 73 of 73 Posts