Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Anyone know who makes the best Grom swingarms? G-craft? I want stock length.
G-Craft Japan, Over Racing.

I think honda is gonna warranty it, probably can kiss MNNTHBX bushings goodbye. No way they let me keep the old arm to pull the inserts. Worst news is my bike will be sitting at the dealership where I can't work on it to fix the engine, or install my ohlins kit. Today was last day of warranty.
I hope they do. I'm certain they wouldn't here as the original part has been modified.

First time I've seen a stock swingers fail, glad you didn't hurt yourself!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And then there were 2........
20200822_191937.jpg

@Hairless 2019 model, bought the same week as mine. Just over 9100 miles on his....... and his is out of warranty by less than a week. I think this should have some people checking their swingarms.

@Upgrayedd please PM me a legit dollar figure for your kepspeed, looks like I'm in the market. If I can't trust a stock one for 1 year, might as well give the Aluminum one a try!

Reactions: Phoenix and Pard

·
Registered
557 Posts
And then there were 2........ View attachment 88094

@Hairless 2019 model, bought the same week as mine. Just over 9100 miles on his....... and his is out of warranty by less than a week. I think this should have some people checking their swingarms.

@Upgrayedd please PM me a legit dollar figure for your kepspeed, looks like I'm in the market. If I can't trust a stock one for 1 year, might as well give the Aluminum one a try!
Good grief.

I remember me saying in Pard’s thread, “Everything can fail I guess.”

Then Pard said, “How many Honda stock swingarms have failed? Probably none.”

Well, the answer is “two“ that we know of...lol. Crazy.

What is interesting is they all break in
the same spot. On the brake side, in front of the axle.

PM sent to you, Ninelives17.

I’m glad no one has been hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep ninelives17 uploaded my pic after he showed me his i checked mine and wouldnt you know of course mine would be crack too. Seens like i need to stop hanging out with him his badluck is rubbing offon me lol.

·
Registered
557 Posts
So Upgrayedd ventured out amongst the Covid Zombies today and shipped the swingarm. I hope it works out well for you, Ninelives17. It is a nice looking piece.

I just got a notification from DHL this morning that my G-Craft swingarm has shipped from Japan. Finally, after a month of waiting. Let’s just hope they got everything correct. With the way my luck has been going lately, I have some reason to be concerned.

I am looking forward to actually riding my bike instead of just hanging out on an internet forum talking about it. No offense to you guys!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Someone I ride with had same issue, so his buddy beefed it up an insert. I installed aftermarket chain adjuster early on, and use torque wrench. Time to beef things up!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
He should report it, the service guy says Honda is considering a recall. They need to know this is not an isolated problem.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So...... I was prepping the Grom for my weekly ride and found my 3 month old factory replacement swingarm is cracked all the way through on 3 sides. Left side of the rear wheel this time. We have another stock swingarm that we removed from @Hairless bike, but I'm not gonna use it. I will be joining the Aluminum ranks this time for sure. Just gotta decide on kepspeed or G-craft.

Reactions: 3sexy5u

·
Registered
341 Posts
So...... I was prepping the Grom for my weekly ride and found my 3 month old factory replacement swingarm is cracked all the way through on 3 sides. Left side of the rear wheel this time. We have another stock swingarm that we removed from @Hairless bike, but I'm not gonna use it. I will be joining the Aluminum ranks this time for sure. Just gotta decide on kepspeed or G-craft.

WTF?!

Post pics if you can, that is outrageous!

Sorry man.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Wooooooooow....

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I know, it's crazy. That makes 3 oem broken swingarms. All of them by me and my buddy. I have always used a torque wrench to tighten the axle, and the metal is not deformed at all. Just cracked. I will take some daylight pictures tomorrow and post them up. Has anyone bought a g-craft swingarm with the roller bearings? If so, where did you buy it from?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
20201202_160931.jpg

Top side
20201202_161018.jpg

Bottom side

·
Registered
341 Posts
What could possibly be causing these failures in stock swingarms? Did they change the supplier?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I know, it's crazy. That makes 3 oem broken swingarms. All of them by me and my buddy. I have always used a torque wrench to tighten the axle, and the metal is not deformed at all. Just cracked. I will take some daylight pictures tomorrow and post them up. Has anyone bought a g-craft swingarm with the roller bearings? If so, where did you buy it from?
That is absolutely crazy. If I remember correctly, you owned a Kepspeed for a little while...lol. Suddenly Hairless is looking like the smartest guy in the room.

The Kepspeed is pretty nice, especially for the money, but the G-Craft is a work of art. It is buffed to a perfect mirror finish. My G-Craft has the ball bearings. I also got the standard axle adjusters (not the OW type), spool mounts, bolt on chain slider, buffed finish, fender brackets, standard length (no extension). I didn’t feel that the OW axle adjusters were necessary. They are nice though.

I paid about $550.00 for mine. After shipping I spent about $600.00 total. When I go to Webike’s website and choose the same options, it comes to $631.63 today, before shipping.

They are built to order. It took about a month to receive it. Webike is awesome.

Edit to add: I remember at the time when I ordered my G-Craft swingarm, Webike had one in stock, but I think it was missing the spool mounts. I figured since I spending all that money, I should get it exactly how I wanted. So, sometimes Webike might have exactly what you want in stock and usually DHL shipping arrives the next day.

·
Registered
557 Posts
These pictures are not very good. The swingarm looks way better in person. Here you go:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here are a three more photos:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just looked. Webike has a G-Craft in stock, just like mine, except it doesn’t have the spool mounts. It says there is one left in stock. Current price is $605.74.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bearing selection is the roller bearing, not the needle bearing correct?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bearing selection is the roller bearing, not the needle bearing correct?
Yes, it appears to be a pair of cartridge sealed ball bearings per side. They are covered with aluminum spacers on the outside.

My mountain bikes use a similar setup. I’ve only had to replace one pair on my mountain bikes in the last 20+ years and I’ve owned a pile of bikes.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What could possibly be causing these failures in stock swingarms? Did they change the supplier?
I have a theory that the tool they use to machine the adjustment slot is dull, which leaves a stress riser. Add in my hours of 65mph at 10,000 rpm and the vibrations are killing it. If you actually look at the swingarm without the adjuster, it is ridiculously thin metal. Just weird that I seem to be the only one with a problem..... dang Honda GN4 oil. Lol.

Reactions: Phoenix and 3sexy5u
21 - 40 of 73 Posts