Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today marks one year of Grom ownership! How does my grom choose to celebrate?
20200820_142648.jpg

I did not purchase an aluminum swingarm specifically to avoid this issue...... blah.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well that sucks...... but that’s the PERFECT excuse to get something new and Trick!!

Or I’ll sell you my OEM, so I can get a new Alum arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, and I don't think I even mentioned hitting a 200lb hog with my Subaru 4 days before my cam chain tensioner failed. Two liter bottle in pic for size reference.
13207.jpeg

About $3000 in damage. August 2020 sucks!

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know who makes the best Grom swingarms? G-craft? I want stock length. I bailed on my Kepspeed purchase because I was worried about failure. Turned out I had a right to be worried. I shelled out for the MNNTHBX bushing kit cause I assumed the stock one was bulletproof unless you wrecked it. Nope.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think honda is gonna warranty it, probably can kiss MNNTHBX bushings goodbye. No way they let me keep the old arm to pull the inserts. Worst news is my bike will be sitting at the dealership where I can't work on it to fix the engine, or install my ohlins kit. Today was last day of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
This is a definitely a first that I've seen. How did you discover this? Did you hit a pothole or something? Stock suspendion?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohlins rear shock, MNNTHBX bushings, no big impacts that I remember. Just over 10,000 miles on the bike. I was lovingly looking at it since I can't ride it, and noticed the crack. Here is what I saw.....
20200820_104258.jpg

It was obviously much worse than I thought when I first glimpsed it. Always used a torque wrench, tubing is not crushed at all.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Stock chain adjuster?

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
I wonder if having aftermarket adjusters would beef up the swingarm more. Here's the OTB ones. Based off that pic, I'd say so.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are stock, never even considered that. I have never had an issue with the stock adjusters. Yes, I have used much better designs, but they function just fine. I have steered away from the OTB because of the weight. Obviously I've got enough money throwed at this thing now, OTB adjusters would hardly get noticed. But weight is the enemy! Lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Man, really sorry, but thankfully you discovered it before a catastrophe.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many Honda stock swingarms have failed? Probably none.

Too important a component to risk it.

Keeping your wheels on the motorcycle has to be a priority.
Well, now we can add one to the list. Lol.

Reactions: Pard

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Yes, I would really hope this is a one off incident. Totally unacceptable. I would hope Honda would be interested in taking a look at the swingarm that failed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sounds like you are having a rough time. Do you want my Kepspeed swingarm? It is brand new. Uninstalled.
If you will actually use it, I will give it to you for free.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
What a generous offer! Grom bros! 👊

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Much too generous! I'm afraid I will have to decline. If I decide to go that route, I will certainly make you an offer on yours. Thanks for your generosity.

·
Registered
564 Posts
3sexy5u, I see you finally got your name changed. Good.

My Endurance oil catch can arrived from Webike, along with the 36t Kitaco sprocket. That catch can is really nicely made.

Still waiting on my G-Craft swingarm. I think I ordered it on the 25th of July. It says it is scheduled to ship on August 28th. It also says it is “In Webike’s stock”. I imagine it will arrive any day now. If you go the G-Craft route, be prepared to wait. Webike had a G-Craft in stock, but it was not optioned like I wanted.

Well, Ninelives17, the offer stands. I wish you would just take it. It is taking up space on my work bench. Buddy, it’s no big deal. I was considering giving it away to someone on the forum anyway. No kidding. Of course, I was going to ask a trivia question about Idiocracy to determine the winner! Just take the thing. I can ship it probably Monday. I would need to round up a box. Let me know. A lot of guys are happy with their’s.

Reactions: 8701michael

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think honda is gonna warranty it, probably can kiss MNNTHBX bushings goodbye. No way they let me keep the old arm to pull the inserts. Worst news is my bike will be sitting at the dealership where I can't work on it to fix the engine, or install my ohlins kit. Today was last day of warranty.
Unless they have the arm in stock it's just going to sit at the dealer till they do, not to mention the approvals. I don't see any reason why you couldn't grab a truck and take it home for the weekend and pull those bushings and get some other things done.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts