Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on taking a MSF Course soon and as a noob I want to know if it's hard to learn how to ride a motorcycle?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
No. My son is mentally retarded. He has been riding since he was 4 1/2. He is 17 now and still tests out at a 2-3 y/o mental level. Part of the low score is the fact that much of the test is verbal based and he is really non-verbal. Point is, if he can do it you can do it. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
No. My son is mentally retarded. He has been riding since he was 4 1/2. He is 17 now and still tests out at a 2-3 y/o mental level. Part of the low score is the fact that much of the test is verbal based and he is really non-verbal. Point is, if he can do it you can do it. Have fun.
I got nothing to top this, no its not hard can you drive a stick shift car and ride a bicycle? If so you are 70% here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The only thing easier than a small motorcycle is a scooter with no clutch to mess with. When you switch from a motorcycle to a scooter you just have to remember the rear brake is where the clutch would be on a motorcycle, otherwise you get an abrupt unexpected jolt if you try to squeeze the clutch which is really a brake. There was one gal rode her own 50 cc scooter to take the msf course when I took it several years ago. The Grom would be an excellent bike for the msf course, but of course they provide bikes for you...250 cruisers like the Suzuki GZ250 and Honda Rebel generally and if you are just learning, they don't get too upset if you drop one of theirs...generally.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It's not hard, that's what the class is designed for. If you enjoy something, learning how to do it right shouldn't be hard....just fun.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The mechanics of it is pretty easy if you've got any amount of balance, other than that pay attention as basic as they are a lot of the lessons and practices they teach you can be lifesaving!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Kudos for taking the course in the first place! There's a lot of very useful information, particularly about driving defensively. Even though it wasn't my fault, I could have been saved a wreck if I had take (and paid attention to) the course first!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Theres two things to learn about riding a motorcycle. The first is how to ride the motorcycle and the second is how to read traffic.

If you ride on back roads or in areas of little traffic then you just have to concentrate on one of them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The single most important thing is being a mind reader ... you need to know when texting jackoff assholes won't fully stop at a stop sign or pull out from their mailbox in front of you.

Once you're on the saddle it'll come natural. When I took my course over a decade ago the only thing I got deducted on was going too fast through the 180* turn lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
In MS all I had to do to was drive around the building. Kind of scary if you think about it.
Sounds just like Louisiana. Its to weed out the morons. :p

I was always taught to ride like everyone is trying to kill you! Head on a swivel. If something happens, you either need to fully commit to braking or fully commit to throttle. There is no time to second guess and throttle then brake or brake then throttle. I personally like "when it doubt, throttle out" but I do not know how good that method will work on the grom!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm an MSF RiderCoach and teach the Basic RiderCourse every week or two during the summer in Minnesota. (Newly recertified this year after a 13-year break from it). The class is great and you'll learn a lot. Pay attention and have fun with it and you should be fine (my personal opinion, not as a representative of the MSF). There is a written test at the end of the classroom portion and a Skills Test at the end of the range portion. I have seen a number of students successfully complete the BRC this year who had never even touched a motorcycle prior to the course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts