Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like most other skills learning by doing is much the most effective way. This is best achieved by having someone with experience offering advice and a critique of your progress.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are these recommended or is it kinda learn as you go? Can I watch a few YouTube videos or do I need to venture out for the lessons?
Basic rider course is enough to get your license and let you get yourself killed as you will have no clue how to avoid running wide into traffic in a downhill tightening radius curve.

Motorcycle riding requires training to avoid injury and death.

Take a riding school that will teach you how to really control a bike as required to survive.

Can you come to a complete stop midcorner applying brakes at lean angle? Not if you only take a basic rider course where they forbid braking in a turn.

Take a school like YCRS if you are not a teenager and wish to survive motorcycling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep it in the neighborhood/parking lots until I learned the very basics (shifting etc). Then I took the course and I’m glad I did it in that order, I wasn’t focused/distracted on shifting and not stalling but rather learning proper technique and safety.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are these recommended or is it kinda learn as you go? Can I watch a few YouTube videos or do I need to venture out for the lessons?
If you take a rider course, it will be the same as instantly gaining 5 years of experience. Without the course, You will make the same stupid mistakes that inexperienced riders make when they believe "they can now master the motorcycle" and are under "full control". I didn't take a course and flipped bikes, did endos, slid down the highway on many occasions, but somehow survived. Take the course!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts