Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mornings I'd like to take the streets but in the afternoon I'd like to take the Fwys (10, 60 or 5), or perhaps I might go 100% Fwy after all. I live in Los Angeles, CA. My commute is 34 miles round trip (City of Commerce to Beverly Hills).

Which motorcycle would be more suitable for me? I have my eyes on the new Honda CB300R, the new CB500F 2019 or the CB650R. I'm 5'5" 140 lbs, skinny & small guy. I already rode the CB300R and I was very impressed and pleased with its performance but some people have told me to go with the CB500F or CB650R because I'll out grow the CB300R very fast. What's your opinion on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is it solely for commuting? I don't like the concept of outgrowing a motorcycle. Under that logic we all should have outgrown the Grom years ago. However you need to pick the engine that will best suit the application. If you need to keep up with fwy traffic, a bigger engine will get you to speed faster, but a 300 will keep up no problem as well. If you take side streets and fwy then a bigger engine isn't as necessary as long as it gets you to the speed you need. Also is cost a factor? What about any other options the bigger bikes have? Other than the Grom do you have any other riding experience? There's a lot of factors that only you can decide on.

In the end, each bike is a great bike. Ride each one, think about what you truly want and need, and go from there. If it were me I would consider the 500 or 650 more than the 300, but my commute is all highway at 70+ mph traffic at times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it solely for commuting? I don't like the concept of outgrowing a motorcycle. Under that logic we all should have outgrown the Grom years ago. However you need to pick the engine that will best suit the application. If you need to keep up with fwy traffic, a bigger engine will get you to speed faster, but a 300 will keep up no problem as well. If you take side streets and fwy then a bigger engine isn't as necessary as long as it gets you to the speed you need. Also is cost a factor? What about any other options the bigger bikes have? Other than the Grom do you have any other riding experience? There's a lot of factors that only you can decide on.
LordSquirrel, thanks for replying so quick. Yes, this motorcycle will be used for every day commuting only. I just have the Grom experience, I'm a new rider and I love the Grom but I need a bike that can handle legally and actual Fwy speeds comfortable and safe. The CB650 is that biggest bike that I can handle/maneuver with some big effort but not impossible. The CB500F 2019 is much easy to handle and the CB300R is almost as easy as the Grom.

The CB650R & CB500F 2019 models have much better features and are very quick than the 300 but also cost much more money.
The CB650 is like $9K, the CB500F 2019 model costs like $6.5K and the CB300R like $5K, so is like $2K difference for each bike.

In the end, each bike is a great bike. Ride each one, think about what you truly want and need, and go from there. If it were me I would consider the 500 or 650 more than the 300, but my commute is all highway at 70+ mph traffic at times.
Yes, this is what my boss tells me. The 650 or 500 have better flexibility, I can do more things with the bigger bikes than the 300 even though I drove the 300 and I liked it very much. Great for the streets and I can go in the Fwys as opposed to the Grom.
I have not ridden the 650 or 500. My dealer is getting me the 500 to test ride it soon.

·
Banned
714 Posts
the build quality on the 390 ktms it's brutal. i have a friend with an rc390 and it's laughably bad. not a very smooth engine either.

the 390 and smaller ktms are made in india by Bajaj, and it shows. don't bother.

for what you're looking to do john the 500 is perfect for you. the 300 will do freeway just fine, but it doesn't have the same jam you'd want for on ramps and just general fun on a motorbike. the 500 is fast enough, but small enough to have a lot of fun with while remaining very practical.

the 650 would be a great choice if you wanted to tour on the highways and do longer trips, but for only commuting and riding in traffic it has little benefit over the 500 and will be larger and more cumbersome.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with Wibbly. The 390 is a fun hooligan bike, but I wouldn't trust it to take me from A to B. The 500 sounds like the way to go. Of course ride it and see what you think first.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the build quality on the 390 ktms it's brutal. i have a friend with an rc390 and it's laughably bad. not a very smooth engine either.
Yes, this is what some people have been telling me and the worse they are very expensive, they charge a leg & an arm for it.
the 390 and smaller ktms are made in india by Bajaj, and it shows. don't bother.
Thanks for your advice though.

for what you're looking to do john the 500 is perfect for you. the 300 will do freeway just fine, but it doesn't have the same jam you'd want for on ramps and just general fun on a motorbike. the 500 is fast enough, but small enough to have a lot of fun with while remaining very practical.
Yes, I want to be able to go easily thru heavy traffic on the streets but at the same time be able to ride on the Fwys at speeds that are comfortable and safe.

the 650 would be a great choice if you wanted to tour on the highways and do longer trips, but for only commuting and riding in traffic it has little benefit over the 500 and will be larger and more cumbersome.
Definitely the 650 is very heavy, higher seat and very hard to maneuver at slow speeds between cars on the streets and hard for me to hold it in every stop on up hills.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Wibbly. The 390 is a fun hooligan bike, but I wouldn't trust it to take me from A to B. The 500 sounds like the way to go. Of course ride it and see what you think first.
Yes, I'm waiting for the dealer to order one for me to test drive. This will be so much fun. It almost seems to me that the CB500F 2019 will be the one. As soon as I test drive this CB500F I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
726 Posts
CB500F sounds like the best choice. For hwy commuting you want enough power to escape out of a dangerous situation. The most common case for me is escaping out of someone's blind spot as they unknowingly cut into my lane while texting on the phone...

I've always had the mindset to use the motorcycles power and agility instead of panic braking to stay safe on the roads. In my opinion panic braking is a bad riding habit, and it means I was riding totally oblivious.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd stay away from KTM just because of their poor reputation, their notoriously high maintenance engines and expensive maintenance and repairs.

Hondas, for the most part, will work and last forever even if you neglect maintenance.

Other than that sit on the bikes and see what is more comfortable to you. Take them for a test ride if possible.

And remember that you may want a windshield to cut the wind and rain. But I prefer the naked look. Windshields may be functional, but they are fugly on motorcycles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CB500F sounds like the best choice. For hwy commuting you want enough power to escape out of a dangerous situation. The most common case for me is escaping out of someone's blind spot as they unknowingly cut into my lane while texting on the phone...
Yes, that's why I'm thinking of buying another bike, I want to have agility and responsiveness & more power, especially now that I want to get on the Fwys.
I've always had the mindset to use the motorcycles power and agility instead of panic braking to stay safe on the roads. In my opinion panic braking is a bad riding habit, and it means I was riding totally oblivious.
You are right. It's better to out run a car or escape it, that confront it. Ridding the CB500F 2019 will give me a great idea which one would be better for me. I wish I could have a friend who would let me ride his/her just to get the feeling. The CB500F 2019 is 48 HP vs. the 300 like 28 HP but also is like 100 lbs heavier than the CB300R.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you'll be riding in traffic all the time, my top priority would be something that will allow me to split lanes easily. So something smaller/narrower. But that's just my opinion.
Coming from the Grom, which one would you choose? The CB300R, the CB500F 2019 or the CB650R?
Or staying with the Grom in the streets? :big smile:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'd stay away from KTM just because of their poor reputation, their notoriously high maintenance engines and expensive maintenance and repairs.
Thanks for your opinion, yes in the beginning I was thinking to get this KTM 390 Duke but I totally changed my mind when I rode the CB300R.

Hondas, for the most part, will work and last forever even if you neglect maintenance.
Definitely, Hondas are reliable, easey to do maintenance and not that expensive.

Other than that sit on the bikes and see what is more comfortable to you. Take them for a test ride if possible.
Yes, I sat already in all of them but I have driven only the CB300R which is great, very fast, agile, stops quick, easy to maneuver, I was very impressed and satisfied with its performance, coming from the Grom it has to be super powerful and fun. When the bike pulled, not kidding, my butt almost got out of the seat. Ha, ha, ha.
I felt that it was a Grom with a 300 engine and big tires.

And remember that you may want a windshield to cut the wind and rain. But I prefer the naked look. Windshields may be functional, but they are fugly on motorcycles.
Definitely, naked bikes are my type. I love these bikes, I wish I could buy the 3 of them, the 300, the 500 and the 650, ha, ha, ha.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing to do is checkout the awesome MC Commute videos. I know they've done the CB300R and 390 Duke.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I have been seeing all these videos and they are very helpful. Check this one showing how a 300 behaves in a Fwy and in California. I would not drive that way but this guy wants to prove that a 300 is plenty enough for Fwys speeds. Check it out:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for the link. Yes, I have been seeing all these videos and they are very helpful. Check this one showing how a 300 behaves in a Fwy and in California. I would not drive that way but this guy wants to prove that a 300 is plenty enough for Fwys speeds.
A stock Grom can do 55 to 60MPH and that's only a 125cc 4 speed. A modern 300cc should have no problem doing freeway speeds.

A 500 will get there quicker and have a higher top speed, but at the expense of more weight. You really have to decide which traits are more important to you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A stock Grom can do 55 to 60MPH and that's only a 125cc 4 speed. A modern 300cc should have no problem doing freeway speeds.
Yes, I love the new CB300R style, it replaces the CB300F. It's very agile, very responsive, tons of power in comparison with my Grom, stops very quickly, but I heard some people saying that it's too much of changing gears, some people recommend the CB500F 2019, I was told, the 300 would be like the Grom but in the Fwy.
A 500 will get there quicker and have a higher top speed, but at the expense of more weight. You really have to decide which traits are more important to you.
Yes, I want to test drive this CB500F 2019 model. I wish Honda would make a CB500R, just like the CB300R look. I love the front round light.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Thanks for the link. Yes, I have been seeing all these videos and they are very helpful. Check this one showing how a 300 behaves in a Fwy and in California. I would not drive that way but this guy wants to prove that a 300 is plenty enough for Fwys speeds. Check it out:
I ride all those same roads when I ride my grom to San Francisco on my grom

1 - 20 of 50 Posts