Honda Grom banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the MSF course 5 or 6 years ago, got my endorsement put on in Tennessee, and then moved three times since then. At some point (don't remember when) I didn't check to see that it had been brought forward, and now I have to go take the road test again (after move #4) here in Louisiana. Fortunately, everyone has been very encouraging that this is the easiest state to pass in, as they generally just make you drive the block or do a lap around the lot. So I rented a scooter to take the test on, since I don't have a bike and didn't want to borrow something that I'd have to learn for a day. I figured it would eliminate a degree of difficulty to not have to shift gears, or run the risk of stalling out at takeoff. Ended up with a scooter rental shop that does a lot of rentals for the testing purposes. They put me on a Genuine Buddy 150 (what the heck is up the name?) that pretty much just sucks. I feel like I'm sitting on a giant hill. I could literally see down into my wife's sunroof on her Mini Cooper. I'm curious if the Ruckus is a lot different than that. Can't imagine most of the guys I've seen posting on here enjoying the kind of thing I have to take the test on.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so much a question as I just needed to vent. If I had started on a scooter like this one, I doubt I ever would have thought a motorcycle would be a good idea. Just not as much fun as the Buell Blast that the course was taught on. And I think I like the way it looks like the Grom will feel when I'm on it. Not sitting sky high and perfectly upright like a scarecrow. Would have gladly rented a Ruckus, but the lady said this was the one that they had the permission of the OMV to rent to people for the test. I'm not gonna complain too much as long as it gets me through the day tomorrow!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, wish me luck guys. I'm 8th in line at the DMV. Hadn't been on anything since the MSF course a long time ago. So far, so good. As long as they don't test me on the center kickstand, I'm good. Thing is a sure enough bugger to get down!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Good luck

Genuine is the brand name. We used to sell em when I worked at a shop. They had a cool Vespa clone that was three speeds called the Stella. I would have bought one but they were kind of a bear to keep running. Idle circuits in the carbs would keep clogging.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Good luck

Genuine is the brand name. We used to sell em when I worked at a shop. They had a cool Vespa clone that was three speeds called the Stella. I would have bought one but they were kind of a bear to keep running. Idle circuits in the carbs would keep clogging.
Genuine just came by the shop last week trying to get us to carry their brand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Passed. Written test was computer based, pretty common sense. Road test was three figure 8s. Pretty sure the lady didn't look at me once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts