Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Montana Mountain Grom – Dual Sport Build

Newest Photo/Update - January 21, 2019:
First time out in the snow, and also riding with the hi-mount exhaust installed.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Hey there, I picked up this 2018 Honda Grom ABS with 1 mile on it on September 22, 2018. It has just shy of 300 miles on it as of typing this.
Originally I was going to wait for a 2019 Honda Monkey, but my local dealer gave me a deal that was too good to pass up.

I live just outside of Missoula, Montana and have plenty of options for riding both pavement and gravel so the enduro route was the ideal route to take for me.
I also have a mild overland setup 2004 Nissan Frontier Supercharged, so having a small bike to bring with to explore around camp after I have the rooftop tent and awning set up on the truck will be pretty amazing.

Parts List

1. Motard Front Fender
  2. NOI Flat Seat
  3. PROTAPER SE YZ Hi Handlebars
  4. KEMIMOTO 30mm Handlebar Risers
  5. Willpower 6 inch 6 LED light bars
  6. Nilight LED Light Bar Install Harness
  7. LeaningTech Bar End Mirrors
  8. TARGA Rear Fender Eliminator with Turn Signals
  9. Early Bus Flush Mount Front Turn Signals
  10. Yellow Film over Low-Beam Headlight
  11. Universal Rear Splash Guard
  12. JFG Racing Red Handguards - I modified them to mount to the bracket my lightbars are on.
  13. BlueFire Motorcycle Security Alarm
  14. Kenda K761 Tires
  15. DIY Airbox Mod
  16. Universal Slip-On Muffler
  17. High-Mount Exhaust Header

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,992 Posts

Nice

Need to see pic of the lights at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last Friday I road in what would have been the pitch black, in the pouring rain, through forest service roads for over two hours and without the auxiliary LED light bars I would have more or less been blind. These two little lights illuminate the roadway amazingly.

Low Beam

High Beam

All Lights

·
Registered
36 Posts
Never ending Big sky adventures. Looks like your set up pretty well, to bad the weather has turned and soon will be covered in white.
How you like the alarm, Been looking at some for extra security.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never ending Big sky adventures. Looks like your set up pretty well, to bad the weather has turned and soon will be covered in white.
How you like the alarm, Been looking at some for extra security.
Apologies for the delay! I've taken the bike out a couple times in the snow, but it's definitely a little less enjoyable than warm weather.:unconscious:
My Kendas are pretty slippery in these conditions as well– I may be upgrading to the more aggressive Kendas or Maxxis tires this spring to help with mud, as well.

I have no complaints about the alarm thus far. It was cheap, took five minutes to install (I only hooked up the alarm power– not the remote start or ignition kill), it's loud and has gone off every time that I've tested it out.
If you're looking for some cheap peace of mind, I recommend it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the black handguards that I previously had installed with some larger red ones.
I prefer the extra coverage of these and the pop from the red is a nice touch over the black ones.

Also, my custom plate came in: WNDR = WANDER
Montana allows for 6 characters on motorcycle plates, but all the other variations I tried were taken.. so this'll do.
#wndrgrom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Where did you source that front fender ? I’ve been looking for a good deal on a Supermoto style front.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very cool, I've never been a real fan of that style of rear mudguard but it suits your look perfectly. mini hypermotard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate it! I was iffy about it as well, but I needed the functionality.
The nice thing about it is that I can push it forward towards the shock for a cleaner look while riding on the street– and move it back to cover more of the rear wheel for extra protection while offroad or in wet conditions.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Damn bro I'm jealous. That looks like so much fun. This is the first Winter I've ever had with no snow. I've thought about throwing the bike in the bed of the truck just to drive North to get me some, lol.

You bike is looking sweet also :encouragement:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I really like that muffler. What brand is it?

*edit*

I see on your first page you mention it's a universal muffler... do you mind pointing me to where you found it? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts