Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
RED HONDA MONKEY 2019
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some PIRELLI SL60 at the rear of both our Monkey. Great tire, sticky. But i have 1600km et my wife 3000km and i think tires are worned at 50%.
I can buy DUNLOP K180 or DURO HF903. Anyone ever tested these? Are they good ? Will they last more than the PIRELLI?

Ps : in europe they are not a lot of choice in 130/80 R12.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have just taken receipt of a brand new SL60. This was my initial thoughts. Good grip but soft and wears down easy.
The Dunlops will (imo) last longer than pirelli as every Pirelli tyre I have ever had has worn rapid.
To be fair there is 700 miles (110km) on the original Vee Rubber tyres and they still look new.
I am going long distance next month with my Monkey (Arctic) and will replace the rear tyre with another brand new Vee rubber tyre before I go.
Simply because of the longevity and hard compound.
I know they get a bad rating but to be honest I haven’t had any real issues with them.
Most of the poor reviews are not for the same tread type either and also the SL60 is MUCH smaller and narrower than the Vee rubber even though its the same 130/80/12 markings.

·
Registered
RED HONDA MONKEY 2019
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Vee Rubber are not an option. They are more than twice the price and i find them not as sticky as i want. Too much slippery in hard cornering.
I will try the DUNLOP K180 next time. I will see how they do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have 3300 miles on my Monkey so far, about 50/50 mix of street and dirt.
I ran the stock tires, then ran the Mitas mc19 tires for a while, then tried the Mobbers for 25 miles and put the Vrubber tires back on.
So something like 1500 miles on the stock tires and 1500 on the Mitas MC19 tires and both rear tires look only slightly worn, the fronts look like new.
I have some Pirelli tires but they seem very hard and not very aggressive for off road.
For what I do with the Monkey, the stock tires or the MC19 tires seem to both work very well and seem to hold up about the same.
The MC19 tires may be a little better off road, and they make a little bit more noise on road, and both come in the correct sizes.
One thing you can do is to put a 130-80-12 on both wheels and swap them when the back tire gets half worn, you might get 6000+ miles out of a set.
There may be other tires for mostly street use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have just taken receipt of a brand new SL60. This was my initial thoughts. Good grip but soft and wears down easy.
The Dunlops will (imo) last longer than pirelli as every Pirelli tyre I have ever had has worn rapid.
To be fair there is 700 miles (110km) on the original Vee Rubber tyres and they still look new.
I am going long distance next month with my Monkey (Arctic) and will replace the rear tyre with another brand new Vee rubber tyre before I go.
I know they get a bad rating but to be honest I haven’t had any real issues with them.
Most of the poor reviews are not for the same tread type either and also the SL60 is MUCH smaller and narrower than the Vee rubber even though its the same 130/80/12 markings.

Interesting, I was hoping to go up to the artic circle on a CT 125, but Honda ruined that idea by not importing them to the UK. I have also considered the new Grom for the trip. Ventura are apparently bringing out their rack to fit the Monkey next month. so that would allow a decent/safe luggage capacity. I'm not convinced on the factory chain being reliable over distance.......it has stretched even in the short time I've had my monkey. Are you going to post a travel thread, as I'd be very interested to follow your trip.
Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting, I was hoping to go up to the artic circle on a CT 125, but Honda ruined that idea by not importing them to the UK. I have also considered the new Grom for the trip. Ventura are apparently bringing out their rack to fit the Monkey next month. so that would allow a decent/safe luggage capacity. I'm not convinced on the factory chain being reliable over distance.......it has stretched even in the short time I've had my monkey. Are you going to post a travel thread, as I'd be very interested to follow your trip.
Rob
Ive pm’d you mate

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe the SL60s have a lower speed/load rating than spec, so might be an issue with insurance in UK

·
Registered
RED HONDA MONKEY 2019
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PIRELLI SL60 is rated 60J instead of 69J. Same speed (100 km/h) but less load. Not a problem because 60 means 250Kg.
But yes perhaps an issue depending country regimentation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
PIRELLI SL60 is rated 60J instead of 69J. Same speed (100 km/h) but less load. Not a problem because 60 means 250Kg.
But yes perhaps an issue depending country regimentation.
I agree not a problem, I wanted to get SL60s myself but my insurance states tyres must be at least the standard spec for speed and load. Shame, I have had SL60s before and really liked them ☹

·
Registered
RED HONDA MONKEY 2019
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A bit of an update.
My wife's MONKEY is still on PIRELLI SL60. 4500 KM so far. She is lighter and drives softer.
350 Km for me with the K180. Great tire. As good as the SL60. I will keep you update about the longevity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts