Honda Grom banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have read and searched for other post for my same issue but nothing is matching my problem.

I have a 2019 Monkey with under 1000km, I understand the Grom of similar year has the same engine. After 600km oil change (10w-30 full synthetic car oil) and installed some parts not related to the clutch (crash bar), its been having difficulty going into neutral.
Things to note:
  • clutch has been adjusted
  • turning the clutch pull arm to push in the lifter plate further than what the lever can do, does not help
  • the wheel is spinning with the clutch pulled in when in gear
  • gear goes into neutral easy when engine turned off
  • revving the engine sometimes assist with finding neutral

Things I have tried to solve the issue
  1. flush out with genuine Honda motorcycle oil (maybe car oil was the issue but have not had issues with other older Honda bikes)
  2. adjusted clutch cable
  3. Inspected the clutch plates
    1. they appear dry
    2. the thickness is within spec about 2.6mm for all
  4. drilled extra 4 holes in the clutch center (thinking it may help add oil to the plates)
  5. opened the oil pump to see if it was working, oil was in the spinner so assume its ok
  6. taking apart the clutch packs and soaking in oil helps only for about 20mins of riding.
Where I am at now is looking at the service manual i can see that the oil is not pumped to the clutch, I'm not sure how the clutch is being lubricated and possibly something is blocking a squirter for the clutch packs.

I'm running out of ideas, my next/ last idea is to buy new oem clutch plates and disc as i think that's the possible issue. other than not knowing how the clutch is being lubricated.

Sorry for the long post and assistance is much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
The clutch gets oil from the tray shown here #4, when changing clutch I always put a little oil in there before putting the cover back on. You have to put the clutch basket and that tray on at the same time during reassembly also, or it will not go back in. As far as clutch drag, some bikes seem to work fine with synthetic oil (like my bike), others do not work well at all (like my girl's bike), no rhyme or reason which is ok and which is not either. We're both using EBC 10% springs and OEM clutches, so it make no sense that mine works fine with Motul synth and hers hates it.

Automotive tire Product Automotive design Organism Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes sense that oil would be in the tray #4, I would just have thought when you ride around most of the oil would slosh around and go out of it. My only thought is how oil would get back into the tray after it goes out.

Side question: does the 10% springs increase clutch feel? does it improve where the clutch starts biting? I only have access to 15% springs where I am.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense that oil would be in the tray #4, I would just have thought when you ride around most of the oil would slosh around and go out of it. My only thought is how oil would get back into the tray after it goes out.

Side question: does the 10% springs increase clutch feel? does it improve where the clutch starts biting? I only have access to 15% springs where I am.
Springs just make the clutch bite harder, engagement can be adjusted at the lever or on the motor if the lever adjustment is maxed out 1 way or the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts