·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,145 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am so jealous!! Want to ride so bad! That looks like a great time. May have to load up and head south if the snow doesn't quit. But thanks chillis for posting the pics gives me something to dream about.:sleep:

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the big bore is proving to be reliable, if a bit thirsty should you choose to ride faster, we went further yesterday. 270 miles.

Death Valley to check out Ashford Mine and then some.

I didn't take a ton of pics as the video was rolling. Will work on clipping that up later.

Switched back to stock ratio for the gearing as the cam doesn't like low revs and tall gears. This brought my cruise speed down from 55 to 60 to 50 to 55 mph.

Staying at 50 mph would net me fuel economy in the low 90's.

At 60 mph I'd get mid to low 70's. Big difference and in the middle of nowhere Death Valley, this becomes important.

Once arriving to Shoshone I gassed up, got beverages and snacks then went to the Crowbar to eat lunch.

It was busy and daylight was burning so I left without eating.

Rode down to the Ashford Mill and went up into the mountains by where the mine is. Aired down and rode through rocks, gravel, and sand and no issues with the bike.

The furthest motor vehicles are allowed is where I stopped.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once done walking around looking at the geology(a lot of quartz and other shining minerals in the rocks) I rode back to pavement and made a turn for West Side Road.

Headed north along the dirt road I passed a group of KTM Adventure bikes and made a turn towards a mine on the southwest side of the Badwater Basin. The two track was rocky and not fun. Should have aired down a little more.

Made it to the mine site though.

Somewhere out there is a Monkey on the mountainside:

Descended the mountain after going into one part of the mine and climbing/hiking the upper exterior.

It was a sweat fest as I was heavily layered for the cold morning and mountain passes yet saw well into the 70's during these pictures above.

Back to pavement, aired up and headed back to Vegas. Stopping again in Shoshone for fuel and this time actually eating.

Then proceeded to freeze my backside off on the way home because of the sweat still soaked throughout my gear.

Good ride though and the bike is proving to be reliable with the mods.

I've ordered some 10w-40 Honda oil to change to from the Motul 5w-30 as the Kitaco cam asked for that change.

Also need to get an exhaust squared away as this bike wants to breathe!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so jealous!! Want to ride so bad! That looks like a great time. May have to load up and head south if the snow doesn't quit. But thanks chillis for posting the pics gives me something to dream about.:sleep:
Break out those bikes!

Death Valley is the place to be this time of year.

Vegas is great during the day but cold at night/morning. The next two to 3 months the desert southwest is the place to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I’m setting up the Monkey for Death Valley on March 19-21 and plan to do a 200 mile loop on Saturday starting at stovepipe wells - Titus Canyon to Tea Kettle jn to Racktrack to Hunter Mountain back to Stovepipe wells hotel.

Any tips on the tires and suspension setup ? Can the stock do it just fine ? I Was planning to install knobbies but do you think the stock tires can make it if it stays dry? I put a smaller front 14T sprocket and like the extra pep low end.

Would be nice if any Monkey riders want to join me on Sat March 20, 2021. I’ll be with about 5-6 friends riding bigger 800-1200cc bikes so playing with them on the Monkey should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk we

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I’m setting up the Monkey for Death Valley on March 19-21 and plan to do a 200 mile loop on Saturday starting at stovepipe wells - Titus Canyon to Tea Kettle jn to Racktrack to Hunter Mountain back to Stovepipe wells hotel.

Any tips on the tires and suspension setup ? Can the stock do it just fine ? I Was planning to install knobbies but do you think the stock tires can make it if it stays dry? I put a smaller front 14T sprocket and like the extra pep low end.

Would be nice if any Monkey riders want to join me on Sat March 20, 2021. I’ll be with about 5-6 friends riding bigger 800-1200cc bikes so playing with them on the Monkey should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk we
The stock suspension does ok due to the softness. Big hits have it bottoming out though.

Your biggest change to keeping the bike and yourself happy is tire pressure.

When you hit dirt drop it to 20 psi. That will give better traction and a softer ride. I've seen others going to 15 psi but we are in rock country so too low means bent rims and/or flat tires so I would recommend getting too carried away with low pressure.

Stock tires work just fine.

If you get to an area too steep that you cannot get traction, hop off and push while using the engine in first gear.

I did a full suspension upgrade and I rarely bottom out and have more precision in the dirt. Still is a tiny bike with little travel and wheel diameter but it acquits itself well.

When the big bikes struggle through gnarly stuff you can cruise right by without a care.

Low seat height and center of gravity, float of the little chubby tires, it does very well in soft conditions.

On a group ride through Titus Canyon I was passing many of the bigger dual sport riders on the Monkey.

Make sure you have good air filtration. Especially riding with big bikes. I've noticed they don't like being passed by a tiny machine!

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Excellent info. Thanks a lot. I was going to order the Mobber or Kendra Big blocks for DV as they seem to be ok on pavement too. The plan is to trailer monkey and do more off road than I ever did on the big 1200 bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent info. Thanks a lot. I was going to order the Mobber or Kendra Big blocks for DV as they seem to be ok on pavement too. The plan is to trailer monkey and do more off road than I ever did on the big 1200 bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your stock tires have plenty of tread I would not worry about switching to knobbies.

I've done miles of sand on stock tires aired down and it did just fine. Needed to maintain some momentum to stay surfing the top and all was good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts