Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, elephant in the room here... It's expensive. When I picked up my Grom a month ago for $3,199 I would have never imagined I'd be spending almost half the cost of the bike on a new front end. However at 6'1" and 220 lbs, the stock suspension was...lacking.

Just like everyone else on this forum, before even taking delivery of my Grom I started looking online for parts to make it better. I came across MNNTHBX and instantly knew they were my type of company. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't throw my money away, but I have no problem paying a premium price for premium parts.

After taking delivery of the Grom I instantly fell in love with it. I'm a 36 year old man but I'll be damned if I didn't feel like a little kid ripping this tiny 8whp bike around town. I was surprised that with such a small power plant I could actually leave traffic lights and not feel like I was holding everyone up and being a nuisance. I knew I was going to be modding the engine to get some more oomph out of it, but I honestly was a little surprised how awful the front suspension was. If I didn't know any better I'd swear these were picked straight out of the CRF50 parts bin. I don't think I'm that big of a guy, but I could *easily* bottom out the shocks by leaning down on the bars and it felt like I could almost hold them there.

Enter the MNNTHBX front end :

If I had to describe the difference from the stock front end to this in two words, they would simply be "new bike". In my opinion Honda really skimped on the suspension to keep the cost down and it shows. I assume everyone reading this thread has a Grom and I don't need to tell you how awful it is. I'm not a super technical guy and I've never even had any of my motorcycles on a track. Trying to describe the difference in the front end after the install using the proper terminology is not happening. I think the easiest way for me to describe the ride is that it feels like a real motorcycle. Even though I'm on a tiny 125cc motorcycle with 8whp, it no longer feels like I'm riding a kids toy. With the stock suspension, hitting potholes felt l like I was punishing the bike (and myself). The first week I had it and was hooning around a parking lot I jumped off a 6 inch curb and *instantly* regretted my decision. The stock suspension is simply not made to do anything except hold the front of the bike up.

After installing the forks at my local motorcycle shop I pushed the bike out to take it for a test ride. I went back inside to grab my helmet and when I got back there was already a small group of people checking the bike out. I get that alot because there aren't a ton of these things up in NH. I was pretty surprised that the first words I heard were "So you really got that suspension huh?" - "1500 bucks man...." So 30 seconds after putting my bike outside I'm already getting people scoffing at the money I spent on my front end! I'll admit that spending that kind of coin on such an inexpensive bike is not going to be for everyone. I'm sure I'm going to have this conversation with other Grom owners time and time again. It's all relative though. Kids spend $2k putting wheels and tires on a 1999 Honda Civic they picked up for $1500 bucks and nobody bats an eye! People spend $3k puting Ohlins on a $2k SV racebike all the time. Is $1450 alot of money? Sure it is, but to me it was money well spent.

I am really going to regret saying this but if you are in the New Hampshire area and your thinking about picking up this fantastic front end and you see a black Grom with "BILLY" on the plate... Flag me down and I'll let you take it for a rip so you can see just how great it is. (I'm holding your keys, wallet and license though lmao!)

I wanted to take some pictures of the front end but I honestly spent my weekend just ripping around on this thing :) Here are a couple I took in the shop :

·
Registered
70 Posts
I want them....damn i wish i didnt buy my girl that ring lol nah j\p baby if you see this lol but for real i could of bought another grom and this front end

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll probably wait till winter time to order these up. Glad to hear that you have such positive things to say about them. I've got the kitted out black one in Windham. Was out in Derry yesterday with the crf50, ZB50, and Grom and rolled up to that GOGO mart on 28. The Indian peeps that own it all came out and took pictures and turns sitting on them. Going to send the pictures to all their family back home. I got a kick out of it LOL

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Looks like a quality product. I'm sure this is another case of "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you guys keep the horn? Where did you mount it? I just got my kit and will be done with the install in a few days.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Used one of the holes freed up by removing the stock airbox. We fitted everything today. Only issue we had was with the stock bar riser/clamps. Those do not fit, so we drilled out the holes in the triple plate.
The brembo kit supplied through hardracing works fine too by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Pict with my buddy on my bike. Forks fitted as low as possible (i think it does not allow fitting the stock handle bar, note i did not use the supplied risers as my buddy forgot to drill them, but used ones i had already. These put the bar further upfront)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts