Honda Grom banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question, since most of our Grom's will be brand new when we go to get them, How many miles should be on it?

I know they have to go thru a checklist and i would imagine a short drive, maybe a 1/4 of mile.

I just don't what to pick up my new grom and see 3 or 4 miles on it and find out every employee and their brother took it out to "pop" some wheelies and stoppies!.

So where do we draw the line, before we say something about having too many miles on for being brand new and wondering if we got a beat on bike.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Every new bike I have ever purchased had 5-6 miles on it (And I have purchased a lot of new bikes). No biggie IMO. I'd rather have then ride it a bit further to be sure nothing is going to rattle off once I get it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Just bought a new ruck in may and it had 2 miles on it and my last new bike had 5 miles on it. I know where you are coming from though. Test riding is one thing but burning donuts is totally different.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Lets be real, as rare as it'll be to get a first shipment Grom (maybe even a second shipment) would you really turn down buying it because it has some miles on it?

If there's rubber piled up in front of the rear tire or its been layed down, sure I'm saying something but miles? 10-15 miles is nbd IMO, If you worked there you'd be out riding it around too.. Nothing you as the customer can really prevent

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I know that at my dealership, the salesman who sells the bike is the one and only one who gets to or has to test ride it so I am not worried about them all riding it. Also, the LAST thing any of them wants to do is crash or damage a customer's bike.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fine with a test ride and I would not turn the bike down if it had 5 or 10 miles on it, I just want to make sure it get broke-in the right way.
I'm going to let salesman know that I really don't want everyone taking it out on a joy ride before I pick it up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The guys at the dealership are all jealous that I was first to put a deposit down so they straight up asked if they could take it for a spin. My answer "sure, you aren't insured on it so keep that in mind". I know they hype these guys are feeling and the fact they won't be getting one first round I figured I'll scratch their back with and introductory ride and maybe they'll scratch mine when I come in for parts or service :2cents:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thats cool swartzie ull do that, im glad i get it that way its here at the shop all the tine so people can see it sit on it and if serious about buying one can ride it. Better to have in person then this constant showing youtube videos, or pics saved onto phone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 919 had 5 miles and my DR-Z400 had 10 miles. They do take them for a quick spin. They drive all sorts of bikes so a test drive to them is not a big deal. I don't think they beat them. Plus if something happens, they wreck it or get a speeding ticket on a dealer plate. Not a good thing to have happen. It is on my mind but nothing I can do about it. Its part of the PDI. If your really worried, do what I am going to do, be there for the uncrating. I asked my sales person and he was happy to let me be there to take pictures. I can feel a sick day in August coming....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have bought lots of bikes. Most of my new ones come from a specific dealer. I know everyone that has been there for more than a few years. I have told them that the only one that gets to ride my new grom is the sales manager. I don't care if he wants to put it on display for a week but I don't want every yahoo in the state jumping on, dropping, riding, etc my new bike. I have seen some "test" rides in my day..... some were not pretty......

BTW, 6 miles is the required distance according to my dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do work at a dealership in service. Since we don't use a setup company to do our PDI's. All PDI's are built in house. Some dealers use setup companies, but they usually just assemble them. That way less likely to have anything damaged. They all have to be ridden per Honda by the person doing the PDI.
I have worked in the service department here for almost 9 years. Most bikes come in with just a few miles. Anywhere from 0-5 miles. I have personally taken new bikes out of a crate and done the PDI. Just to find out the bike has 20 miles or so on it. Was a Goldwing. Maybe they were just testing the cruise control or something. Nothing wrong with it. It was just a random bike Honda ran testing on.
Hardly ever happens that we get those. Usually they will keep them for testing or either clear the speedo or replace it. Idk. I think every bike honda assembles are driven on there in house dynos to check that stuff functions properly. Then they are taken to be packaged up in crates.
I'm not sure if some bikes are ridden on dynos then front wheels removed. I would think all Groms will be shipped in crates with both wheels installed. They will probably need mirrors and batteries installed. May need a few other small things installed. Such as turn signals or seat. Idk. It doesn't really matter what kind of testing they do. They are all covered under a warranty for a while.
We get crate damage sometimes too. Something could be scratched or cracked during shipping. I've seen ATV's come in with holes in the footwells from a fork on a forklift. Who knows how many times they have been moved with a forklift before they get to a dealership. Anything like that will be fixed before they go on the sales floor.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
One of my FB buddies in the UK got his MSX with broken passenger footpegs when he picked it up. Dealer said they were used as tie-down points in transit. The dealer has since replaced them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Anywhere from 0.2 miles to 4 miles. If there are more, the saleman or other staff was playing with it or took it to lunch.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is something to said for buying a demo. For one thing, you would get to ride it to check it out first. Many people have hopped on a new bike and immediately found problems...stalls, clunky forks, any variety of problem. A demo comes with a full warranty too and if something is broken, they will order the part and you can bring it back to get it fixed free of course. I have bought a lot of bikes and can recall several where I noticed problems immediately...the Ninja 300 stall, clunky forks on my Gixxer 1000 most recently. By the way, I never was able to get either fixed. If those problems were apparent on a demo that is also for sale, you can just pass on it. Really, a demo with a few miles on it then may be a better bike than one with very few miles. Something to think about. You won't save any money on a new demo. One with a 1000 miles or something, yes, you would expect a discount.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck with new bikes. Either that or I have been SUPER lucky. I have purchased probably over two dozen new bikes and have yet to have a problem with one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts