Honda Grom banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to bring up a discussion point for the correct way to install the Michelin Power Pure SC tires, because there are a few directional cues on the tires that I found to be very confusing.

On the rear tire, there are directional arrows on the edge of the tread, which I've taken to indicate the direction of travel. However, if you look at the sidewall, there is an arrow that says "rear", and points in a direction - if you were using this arrow to indicate which end of the bike it's referring/pointing to (as some tire manufacturers claim this is for), this direction-arrow contradicts the arrows on the tread for the direction of travel. To illustrate this example, I've borrowed "The Rimel"s photo from his 2013 thread - you can see the direction of travel arrow on the tread points to the front of the bike, as does the "Rear ->" wording on the sidewall. From all images I've seen, this is the correct tread orientation - with the water being channeled from the middle to the outside as the tire rotates.

You might be thinking: "Uh, great, Nate, you're thinking about this too much and rambling about nothing"...and that's where you'd be (semi-) wrong!

On the front tire, there are no directional movement arrows on the edge of the tread; however, there are both "Front" and "Rear" labels with arrows pointing in each direction. While I installed my tire so that the front arrow pointed to the front of the bike and the rear label and arrow point to the rear of the bike, this puts the tread in the "opposite" orientation from the rear tire. This opposite pattern, from what I've read/researched, is supposed to happen for this particular set of tires, so that it appears it would be channeling water from the outside of the tire to the center of the tire.

In summary, the issue is that if you take the side-wall labels ("front" and "rear") to indicate the orientation of the tire tread relative to the position of the bike itself, you would have installed the rear tire backward. What is my hypothesis about the purpose of the side-wall labels? I think the rear tire, which only has the "rear" label on the sidewall, is indicating the direction of movement if you're using it as a rear tire, which is the only possible application, due to it's radial construction. The front tire has both the "front" and "rear" labels, and could theoretically be used as a front or rear tire - the arrows once again are referring to the direction of movement of the tire, and not their orientation relative to the bike's position. This would make sense, especially since the front tire is supposed to channel water from the outside to the center of the tire. If you used the front tire as a rear tire, you would need to install it 180-deg differently from how it is on the front, with the "rear" label and arrow on the sidewall appropriately indicating the direction of travel of the tire, as it would be channeling water from the center, to the outside. To some, this may have been apparent, but to me, this was a discovery I had to piece together myself.

Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, its a bit confusing.. I ran outside to have a look at mine and I was like what did my installer do!! Put it on wrong?! But the direction seems correct for the front to be opposite of what the back is.

Confusing... but I am not a tire manufacturer... so what do I know :)

P.S. Should include a front picture showing the correct direction as well :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The arrows on the side wall for front and rear do not point to the front and rear of the bike.
Please bear in mind that the wheel will be off the bike when the tyre is fitted.
The arrows indicate the rotational direction of travel (clockwise or anti clockwise)
The rear tyre is loaded up during acceleration.
The front tyre will be loaded up more during braking.
Hence the difference.

I am not sure what the smaller arrows are.
They could be rotational direction reminders
But I assume they are to locate the wear bar indicators inside the tread (the ones which show when 2mm tread is left)

·
Registered
32 Posts
They can go either way. Wont matter

“ This would make sense, especially since the front tire is supposed to channel water from the outside to the center of the tire.”

This is not the case. I would never want water channeled between me and the only thing keeping my on my contact patch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts