Honda Grom banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was curious about using my Grom to commute to my second business which is a bit out of town. I'm a small guy 5'6 115 pounds.

There's a small stretch oh hwy that's 100 km (60 mph) I was wondering what is the longest I could keep my Grom almost full throttle? I've maxed out around 109km but try and keep 100 or lower if I can and from max rev (7000rpm) when hitting the Hwy.

I already have plans to upgrade exhaust, intake, ecu etc... but as for stock how long would be my max time at top speeds?

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
We have guys that ride from Santa Cruz to L.A. and back which is about 300 miles one way and 600 miles total back with zero issues going WOT, just make sure to clean your chain and adjust your chain so some small tools to carry would be nice. I've ridden WOT on my groms before I went BBK kit for 30 miles one way up and down a hill/mountain side with zero issues.

Do a google search and you will find guys in Europe that have ridden all over France and the Alps on their stock grom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! makes me feel way better!

Side note what does WOT mean ?:sorry:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda quality all over the Grom. They are like cockroaches,...you can beat em, smoke em and twist them in half and they never wanna die.
That's what I've been told and watched a lot of people online 1 year reviews and beat them hard. Honda holds on I guess (civic)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I routinely ride my stock-ish Grom for extended periods of time --by which I mean until I need to get gas -- on rural backroads at WOT conditions almost continuously. At 195 pounds, I am considerably heavier than you, and I live in a rather hot climate (San Diego County). I have ridden this bike in such a manner for 3500 miles and had zero problems.

A couple of cheap-and-easy things to consider if you are going to really romp on it:
Oil: go with a quality synthetic oil. You only need a quart; might as well. Also: There may be some oil consumption over time, so keep a eye on the level as you begin to put more of these harder miles on it -- until you gain a sense of oil level stability.
Magnetic drain plug: Google "Gold plug." Just get one. Cheap and easy way to trap some tiny metal bits and help out an engine which doesn't have an oil filter as stock.
You cannot go wrong doing those two things.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would go with the next step colder spark plug as detailed in the owner's manual. (sorry can't remember the part number)

Ride it however you want. The stock power level is hardly stressing the motor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
75 Posts
i 2nd the magnetic plug.
every bike i own has one since new. installed 0 miles on my Grom.
i dont have (goldplug) but bikeparts brand is usually in stock at most honda dealers. cross ref numbers as same plug for several bikes. for $8 it works and works good.
dont draw particulates off with another magnet....soap wash in hot water and compressed air to clean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
just check the oil every week if you are riding wot all the time and top it off as needed. in between changes. i ride about 2 hours daily. sometimes less sometimes more. most in wot. its fun to ride a little bike fast. lol and ya you should prob save and get a chain sprocket upgrade to a heavy duty o ring chain because riding a lot with the chain mine came with i had to tighten it every 2 weeks.. and with no chain breaker that only worked for around 4 months. after chain upgrade its been like 7 weeks now and i still havent adjusted the heavy duty one yet. though it has loosened a little but not much. and if you really worried about the .1mph you lose with heavy duty oring chain you can just get a xring chain if you want to really spend even more money. but the heavy duty o ring is worth it for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts