Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread for general info about these since I hadn't seen one.

Just got the Grom Father's version. Looks different from the pictures posted on the website:

Will install later, maybe do a video of install/adjustment.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed the cam chain tensioner and I don't hear much difference whether the tensioner is tight or loose. Just finger tightening.

Sounds good. Only noise I hear on the 4 valve are the valves themselves. Not in a bad way, just normal valvetrain noise.

Put an email to Grom Fatherz to see if anything specific is necessary for the adjustment.

Don't want the cam chain jumping a tooth.

Here I was thinking I could use sound to determine the adjustment but it wasn't noisy at any point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the same one how much chain slack did you put on chain? I am still a bit figure out best setup first i did to tight and started to whine alot lol now it seems normal now..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the same one how much chain slack did you put on chain? I am still a bit figure out best setup first i did to tight and started to whine alot lol now it seems normal now..
I just finger tightened until there was some pressure. I don't hear any noise. I did this with the bike idling.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the benefits over the factory unit please?
Stock tensioner uses a spring and oil pressure to maintain tension on the cam chain. Once you make changes like a heavy duty oil pump and high rpm modifications you change the flow of oil to the tensioner and either over or under pressure too much or too little pressure.

Manual tensioner allows you to set a tension regardless of oil pressure so it stays consistent for proper tension all of the time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.....always worth asking.....
If I were running stock oil pump and stock rpm range I wouldn't switch to a manual tensioner, just the upgraded tensioner arm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks again. I'm not sure if I'll do any engine power upgrades yet...........might just throw the money into a CT or new Grom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the video. Ordered the gromfatherz one. Curious on how much tension would be needed upon installation

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the video. Ordered the gromfatherz one. Curious on how much tension would be needed upon installation

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I just hand tightened with engine running, owe video. Rev the engine, make sure no odd noises on acceleration or deceleration of the engine.

Often times it is when the revs drop that you get some cam chain noise.

When I adjusted the tensioner with engine off it was still loose. Engine running allows the slack to change and the last bit of easy tightening to be done before you lock it down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts