Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAs anyone installed a magnetic drain plug in their grom? Whats the thread size?

Or does it already have one?

Inn addition to the MP I plan to change my oil every 1000 miles/three months to make up for the lack of a filter.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

The change in wrench size from 17 to 12mm is good. When I got on a cross country trip next summer I may not have to carry a 17mm wrench...

·
Registered
285 Posts
i changed my oil today... and the m12x1.5 i bought fit!

the only difference is the stock socket size is 17mm vs the replacement was a 12mm

here is link
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Size M12x1 5 12mmx1 5 12mm 1 5 | eBay

Next time you change your oil, can you (or anyone else that has a magnetic drain plug) post a picture of it when you pull it out and show us how many, if any, metal flakings are stuck to the plug? I guess I am still a bit skeptical at this point in time...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Next time you change your oil, can you (or anyone else that has a magnetic drain plug) post a picture of it when you pull it out and show us how many, if any, metal flakings are stuck to the plug? I guess I am still a bit skeptical at this point in time...
I bought a Mag Plug prior to my first break in oil change at 50 miles. Attached is a picture of "crap" found during that change, this plug has a small nipple that was completely covered with debri.

mag plug honda grom.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
3rd change still getting small amount of shavings.....not bad at all and no where near what you see in china motors. I check oil in sun everytime looking for issues.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Squid- everyone has junk after first change. Can you show me what that magnetic plug looks like after the 3rd or 5th or 12th oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've done oil changes at 50, 150, and 300 miles during break in. Each time the Mag plug was covered with just as much "crap". The Mag plug @ $7.50 with free shipping was cheap insurance no?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Put one in after first oil change. At 1500 miles now. Always something on the magnet. Change oil every 500 miles. I think all little things help. Have magnetic plugs in all minis and big bikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
The stock plug compared to the mag plug is pretty much spot on in length (within a thread). I'm being told by friends who are long time motorcycle riders that, there are also magnetic dip sticks that can be purchased. LOL.. that may be a bit much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts