Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys (and girls)

I bought my 2016 MSX SF with 550km. The last couple of months I have added 500 more. The top speed was max 110km/h but 105 km/h was always doable
I changed my oil last week because it was time for the first oil change at 1000km. I changed it to Motul 5100 10w30, cleaned the oil screen.

Now my max speed is 100km/h and having a hard time getting up to 95 km/h. Could I have done something wrong? Oil level is just perfect little above the middle mark.

The bike is fully stock except for a magnetic oil drain plug that I've added during the last oil change.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
different oil and weather makes a difference

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
10/40 honda recommended, motul oil is the worst oil I used and removed it from my motorcycle, Hayabusa I only stick with Amsoil if going full synthetic or stay with the recommended manufactor's oil

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
motul is fine, great oil, actually. use it in my ducati for the past 7 years with zero issues. prob just the weather changes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put motul 10w 40 semi in my r6 and everything started rattling after about 100miles, top end, clutch basket, it sounded quite worrying. I changed the oil again with silkolene semi and the rattling went within a minute, you could actually hear it getting better at idle.
I'm sure it's not terrible oil but I won't be using it again, I only bought it as it was offer, a £28 oil change turned into a £72 oil change

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The previous owner didn't do anything. I did the first oil change with cleaning the spinner and screen.

Maybe 95 km/h is just the stock max. I don't understand it. I dont believe that in such a basic engine oil makes such a big difference. I mean Motul should not be liquid shit.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
that actually sounds about right for a stocker, or damn close. usually 62-64 mph actual is about right if its all stock. weather does make a difference. ride it some more... will get faster with time (a bit).

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, as an easy and inexpensive experiment, why not simply drain the current oil, and re-fill the crankcase with something else (suggestion: Amsoil "Metric" -- fully-synthetic and well-regarded). No need to clean-out the oil-spinner at this point in time since it was just done. Just drain......and re-fill. The experiment will cost you a quart of pricey oil.....then you will have a data-point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think after some riding I discovered for myself that external influences are so important regarding the top speed. I managed to get it over 63 mph or 102 km.h a couple of times now. I changed nothing. Weather influences, slip streaming etc it matters so much to the little MSX / GROM

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think after some riding I discovered for myself that external influences are so important regarding the top speed. I managed to get it over 63 mph or 102 km.h a couple of times now. I changed nothing. Weather influences, slip streaming etc it matters so much to the little MSX / GROM
For sure. I do the same trip every day, twice a day and the weather plays a big role. Not just wind, but air pressure and temperature have minor roles to play. Even maxing out with my helmet visor open or closed can seemingly make a difference for an upright seated position.
Oil is probably your least likely suspect.

Reactions: Paultergeist

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get Rotella T6. It's cheap for full synthetic and it's very good in all motorcycles, including the Grom. I paid a little over $20 for a gallon of 5W-40 at walmart. I'm probably going to start using it in my cars as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually you guys are cracking me up. When I was a young man say 1969... I'm 16 years old , living in Boulder Colorado and riding a Benelli 125.... Top speed about 40 or 45... Many years later as I got closer to retirement I decided I didn't want to ride large displacement bikes anymore. I aquired a 2009 Suzuki TU250.... It's a single cyclinder 250 with fuel injection that looks like a 70's bike. Riding something with this small displacement is much different that riding the old favorite Kawasaki ZRZ 1200r with an abundance of power in any situation. The Suzuki TU250 on a flat road with zero wind will do about 83. When I rode it to work daily I had a 5 mile stretch of interstate where most traffic is doing 75. Here in North Texas the wind is generally out of the south at varying speeds. So when there was a good stiff wind out of the south in my face.. I could have that thing wide open and it would only maintain 60. When you ride very small displacement bikes so many varibles on any given day greatly alter how fast you can go. Wind in your face is a burden. Wind at your back is what all bikers want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts