Honda Grom banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I don't have a Grom yet, but I will try my best to get one soon. This will be my first motorcycle and seems like a great fit for me to learn. I joined the forum to do some initial research and learn as much as I can and be prepared. Is there anything I should look out for?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would check facebook marketplace for a used Grom. That being said, I purchased a new 22' from a dealership in Los Angeles because I just had to have the 3rd Gen Grom and this is my 3rd motorcycle. The MSRP was $3499 but the dealership charged me $5200 OTD on a cash deal... I then found some used Groms from private sellers (1st and 2nd gen only) for anywhere from $2000 to $4000. Buying from a dealership new did not provide me with any sort of warranty or service plan (Not sure I would let anyone else wrench on ANY of my bikes besides myself anyway) and was just a more stressful situation altogether. I should also mention that I had deposits down at 2 other dealerships and all quoted me about the same price for this unit so this wasn't a rare occasion where I was the one customer they bent over the sales desk; the gouging is simply standard practice now. I am sure this problem is far more common in my region of the country but definitely happens in every state this bike is sold.

The next thing to consider is that you will likely be sinking more money into this just like the rest of us on this forum. Bolt-on parts and accessories are a great way to personalize your bike and this becomes very addicting! So the less you can spend just to get the platform the better (provided the bike is in good condition and was taken care of). There are several great vendors that specialize in parts for the Honda Grom. Some are very present on this very forum and I have done business with all of them:

drowsports.com
mnnthbx.com
hardracing.com
steadygarage.com

There are more but those are the most popular as far as I can tell. These guys can help you really customize your bike with anything from cosmetic-only mods like graphics kits and fender eliminators to full performance mods like big bore kits, camshafts, fuel-controllers, exhausts and intakes. They all stand behind their products and each of them have and will continue to help me get everything I want out of my Grom.

Good luck on your purchase and congrats on catching the moto fever!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check facebook marketplace for a used Grom. That being said, I purchased a new 22' from a dealership in Los Angeles because I just had to have the 3rd Gen Grom and this is my 3rd motorcycle. The MSRP was $3499 but the dealership charged me $5200 OTD on a cash deal... I then found some used Groms from private sellers (1st and 2nd gen only) for anywhere from $2000 to $4000. Buying from a dealership new did not provide me with any sort of warranty or service plan (Not sure I would let anyone else wrench on ANY of my bikes besides myself anyway) and was just a more stressful situation altogether. I should also mention that I had deposits down at 2 other dealerships and all quoted me about the same price for this unit so this wasn't a rare occasion where I was the one customer they bent over the sales desk; the gouging is simply standard practice now. I am sure this problem is far more common in my region of the country but definitely happens in every state this bike is sold.

The next thing to consider is that you will likely be sinking more money into this just like the rest of us on this forum. Bolt-on parts and accessories are a great way to personalize your bike and this becomes very addicting! So the less you can spend just to get the platform the better (provided the bike is in good condition and was taken care of). There are several great vendors that specialize in parts for the Honda Grom. Some are very present on this very forum and I have done business with all of them:

drowsports.com
mnnthbx.com
hardracing.com
steadygarage.com

There are more but those are the most popular as far as I can tell. These guys can help you really customize your bike with anything from cosmetic-only mods like graphics kits and fender eliminators to full performance mods like big bore kits, camshafts, fuel-controllers, exhausts and intakes. They all stand behind their products and each of them have and will continue to help me get everything I want out of my Grom.

Good luck on your purchase and congrats on catching the moto fever!
Thanks for sharing all of that information! I live in NC and there aren't too many grom's posted on the Facebook marketplace unfortunately. I'm just hoping I'll get close to MSRP with the stealership I've been looking at.

I also own a Ford focus ST which is its own money pit and I modded it within the first few months of ownership. I plan on doing the same with the grom because the warranty doesn't matter to me. This seems extremely basic enough to maintain and fix myself.

I plan on going to see the grom this week and if it's a good deal hopefully I'll get to leave with it. Already have a decent build list. I'll definitely check those links to add onto it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts