Honda Grom banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have been a GROM owner since August 2018. I have a 2018 Grom and need to replace my front tire due to improper tire pressure. I want to get rid of the Vee's all together. I've sat on the idea of replacing these tires for 2 months because I'm not sure what is a good choice. Everyone has an opinion and a preference and it has confused me more so decided to leave Facebook Grom pages and look for another option and found this forum.
I am looking at changing both front and rear OEM tires sizes with on of the following types...
Michelin City Grip
Michelin Power Pure
Michelin Bopper
Avon Viper Stryke AM63
Shinko SR428

Which is the best option for me?
My riding style is around town as well as long distance riding (up to 3 hours away at times). I don't stunt or anything of that nature. I do find myself in rain from time to time and love to ride the 421 Snake in Tennessee so I need good traction.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Pilot Pures would serve you well

Reactions: 626rider

·
Registered
611 Posts
I use pilot pures and ride rain or shine. Good tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I greatly appreciate the recommendations. Can you give me a link to the exact tire? After GooglIng Michelin tires from there appears to be a couple with very similar names. Also there seems to be a different load ratings. Thank you again!

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up buying 2 different sets after talking with Bike Bandit. Purchased the Pilot Pure's and the a set of Shinko SR428 since we use the Grom as a pit bike at the national and local ATV MX races. I also bought the K&N filter for my bike to improve airflow and maybe get a couple more mph's out of it. Thanks again guys! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another strong vote for the Pilot Pures. I had them put on before I even picked up my Grom from the dealer. Great grip wet or dry. The OEM tires are crap IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I purchased both the Pilot Pure and the Shinko sr428's. Had the local Honda dealer install the Shinko's for the time being. I am very surprised by the ride! Smooth, quiet, and grips very well. Haven't rode in any wet conditions as of yet but I had a blast taking turns on these tires. We shall see how the wear goes over time. But personally I highly recommend these tires. I even rode grass and gravel over the weekend and they did awesomely. My OEM Vee's would have been sketchy. I will put the Pilot Pures on at some point over the summer to give them a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What's the difference between the Pilot Pures and the Power Pures?

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
I'll be testing the Shinko SR007 tires soon. Just waiting to repaint my head light plastic, gas tank plastic, rear fender plastic for my yellow/white grom. The tires I bought are 140/70-12 for the rear and 110/70-12 for the front. I tried 110/90-12 for the front but it was too tall hitting the top of the front fender and when I installed the 110/70-12 SR007 for the front it almost looks like OEM stock height.

It's close to summer time here in San Jose Calif so I won't be able to test the tires in the rain but I wanted a little more sticky tire for the sweepers we have out here in the mountains and San Francisco area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How is their handle on wet? I have City Grip and it was advertised as all weather street use. I live in the northeast so the weather is always bad, which is why i went with city grip. Happy with them after a year. Anything is better than stock Vees.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts